Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey Starting With Pre Op Diet

You are all very inspirational. Hi, I am beginning all of my pre-op tests and unfortunately have the 6 month supervised diet with my doctor. I've been researching and researching and researching and have been spending alot of time here seeing what people's experiences have been.

You are doing great...I am hoping to have the band as soon as I can...

Looking forward to following your progress and to continue to be inspired by you!

Thanks!

Seems like you and I are close to the same place in our journey. Tawnya has been a major inspiration to me. I assume you've had *the class* by now if you're on your way. How was it?

Linda

I have always been a shy kinda layed back person so at first couponing was intimidating, but then I got the hang of it and went crazy. I have couponed in like 8-9 months and lets just say I still have enough detergent, softener, dryer sheets, tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash, deodorant, soap, body wash, candles, Shampoo, conditioner, Chapstick, razors, carpet powder, frebreze, hand soap, hair products, Pasta, frozen veggies, and I'm sure there is stuff I forgot, but I don't need to shop for that stuff for several more months. I actually will have to give some stuff away since the army is moving us and they will not take food or liquids and we don't want to over crowd our car. I never want to be on that show, I would feel overwhelmed. It took a lot of work to coupon like I did, but it was worth it. The people on the show make it look easy and I read that the show takes them to special places to shop and that some people were using fake coupons which cost 1 store owner 1 million dollars. GNC will come out with coupons and Atkins as well as slim fast come out will coupons and Walgreens is know for dropping their prices for atkins and slim fast drinks through out the summer, combine that with a in store coupon and manufacture coupon and it could be free or close to free.

I just find the whole thing amazing. I use coupons now, but never on a scale like you. I wouldn't know where to put it all.

Linda

Why no fill? Your doing an excellent job! 27 pounds is something to be proud of.

He wants to see how I am doing in a another month. He was impress with my weight loss and he doesn't want to rush into things. We discuss my eating habits because I track everything on MyfitnessPal. I was completely honest with him. I told him that I do eat Breakfast my job is demanding so I add Protein into my coffee. I told him that I do have a 10 am snack then it lunch at 12pm or 1230pm. He wasn't to concern about the Snacks but I do need to add more protein in my diet. My calorie intake is arounf 500 to 750 a day. I am burning 150 addictional calories a day but I would like to make it 200.

I have family support to a degree. I mean my husband supports me all the way, but my mom and sister it's a little different. They support me, but always criticize me for everything. I'm happy to be moving close to them again, but don't want to hear negative comments. I know I will feel uncomfortable eating around them and I wish it didn't have to be that way. When I first told them about wanting to get the surgery I just kept getting you can lose it on your own you don't need surgery. My sister and my mom have always been around their ideal weight give or take 20 pounds. I told them I have tried to diet and I'm still the same and the lap band was my last hope and that I was doing it for myself. They eventually came around and supported me, but when I call them I still get lectures on what to eat and to exercise plus the third degree on how much weight have I lost and then the sound of disappointment since I didn't lose more. Just wish it was different, but that's them and I can't change them, just myself and then maybe they will come more around to treating me normal. Thank you for listening and letting me vent. I know my husband is probably tired of hearing me vent...lol....

Vent all you like. I learn something with each of your posts.

My family is weird. My dad is a string bean at age 74 (always has been). He's also 6'1." My mother was 5' tall on a good day, and as big around as she was tall. She died from complications of being overweight. My brother had a thin build, but he was sick his whole life. Died from complications of cerebral palsy years ago. My sister is huge. Mom's family is mixed. Luckily, my father realizes that it isn't just always what you eat that determines ability to lose/maintain weight. He says if that's what it'll take, I should go for it.

Sister is a nasty piece of work. I love her, but I cannot stand her. One Easter, we had a huge blowup over the meds I take for bipolar disorder. She told me I was weak, it's all in my head (where the heck else WOULD it be????), and that I took too much medication. I simply asked her where she got her doctorate specializing in it, and it shut her up like nobody's business. Never saw her speachless before. lol I don't know where she stands on the lab band front, and frankly, I really don't care. I have the people I really need to support me.

So I guess I'm saying, take the good and leave the bad. What matters is that you're becoming more healthy. You've experienced it, and they haven't. They cannot know what goes into it, and how strong you have to be to go through it.

Linda

Thanks. I finally got a hold of my dietician yesterday. I have a appointment with her on the 13th before my fill. She is going to give me a recipe book. I told her everything and came clean about my bad food choices. She told me it was normal to feel more hungry after surgery before a fill and that I should not worry about it to much, because the fills are whats going to help me. She also said to eat Protein with every meal and eat the protein first. I felt a little lost for a bit, but I'm glad I finally talked to her and I will have a list of questions for her and my doctor on the 13th. She said I might be able to get a second fill before I move and to talk to my doctor about that, I hope I can. I'm so ready to lose more weight. Lol about walking the cat, my daughter wants to get a cat and walk it on a leash. I want to get a big dog who will push me to my limits by trying to keep up with him/her. My dog is little and I think he is around 9 years old, we rescued him from the pound in 2007 so I don't know exactly how old he is they just guessed. He likes to go for walks sometimes, but most the time he just wants to lay around. Yes my kids keep me busy especially the 2 year old, he is so full of energy. When we move they are all going into sports. Anything to keep them busy and me so I don't think about

food. Your welcome about the suggestion for doing volunteer work, I think it's awesome to give back and help others and anything to keep me busy and not bored helps me to.

Walking is good to start off with and it sounds like you have already been doing good on exercising. My daughter and I want to try the insanity workouts from tv. They seem really hard, but if I keep trying I know I will get better and get good results. I was watching that show I used to be fat yesterday and it inspired me to workout harder and push myself to my max.

That's a good motto to have (keep going, even when its hard). I think I need to leave myself sticky notes everywhere to remind myself to keep pushing through everyday. I'm also going to set a goal weight and make a calendar like on the show I used to be fat and rip one page page off everyday to see if I make my goal weight in the amount of time I plan. I may surprise myself and if I don't make it then I will just keep working on it until I set another goal. One day at a time.

"One day at a time" is also a good motto. I love the idea of putting sticky notes around the house. I'm going to use that. This whole thing seems so intense. I hope I have what it takes. I'm afraid I'm already having doubts and I haven't even done the class yet. When your dietician talks about protein, what exactly is she referring to? Rib eye? Peanut Butter?

Have you been able to be referred to a doctor regarding the lap band? Are fills something a regular doctor can do, or will you have to have someone specific? Oh... and if its ok, where are you moving to?

Tell your daughter that cats do NOT like to walked. lol I want a medium sized dog who will walk at the pace I want to go. Whatever that means. I think its important to get your pet from the human society/pound. On my soapbox, I think they should also be spayed/neutered and chipped. Its the responsible thing to do.

My grandson will be two on Tuesday of next week. He's an amazingly busy and quite resourceful little guy. Constantly busy. I can't imagine keeping up with a two year old for any extended period of time. lol

Walking will start in earnest after I start my blood pressure medication this weekend. I'll be a turtle. Slow and steady wins the race. I've never seen that show, but I seem to be consumed by watching shows like "My 600 lb life." Glutton for punishment? I feel for these people. I honestly do. I think maybe I'll try to find something more productive and positive. TWC has exercise videos on demand. Some of them are easy, but a lot are hard and require equipment. I've just been doing my own thing and hope something sticks. I really need a scale.< /p>

Linda

Lol... I didn't even associate plate with food. I understood what you meant, but when you said odd analogy I bursted out laughing thinking of what it sounded like. That was a good one Linda. I had my anniversary on June 4th and it went nice. I weighed myself the next day and I'm down to 253. I wish it was more, but it is what it is and I haven't walked in the last few days. Can't wait to be moved and have less stress, hopefully.

Happy anniversary! My 30th is on Monday the 10th. We aren't doing anything special, though my daughter-in-law insists its a milestone.

Moving is a lot of work, Tawnya. You'll sweat in places unbecoming of a lady. lol At least your weight is coming down. You should be proud of each pound you lose, no matter what. I'm in awe.

Linda

Seems like you and I are close to the same place in our journey. Tawnya has been a major inspiration to me. I assume you've had *the class* by now if you're on your way. How was it?

Linda

Had my consult and even went to an informational/support group- it was good. Am beginning all of the testing. Definitely getting the band just trying to decide if I want it with plication which my doc is offering me- like the sleeve but they dont cut your stomach-they fold and suture it to make it smaller. Im a bit obsessed with researching and reading all that I can.

Everyone here is such an inspiration and I am getting such wonderful information! Im looking forwad to learning from everyone here

that is the one im havin they have good results in texerkana mine is 12 -this month I hope it does good

Tawnya... a bit worried. I know you're moving and such. I hope you'll have time to check in and let us know how you're doing.

Linda

I just find the whole thing amazing. I use coupons now' date=' but never on a scale like you. I wouldn't know where to put it all.

Linda[/quote']

Couponing is amazing, but a lot of work.

He wants to see how I am doing in a another month. He was impress with my weight loss and he doesn't want to rush into things. We discuss my eating habits because I track everything on MyfitnessPal. I was completely honest with him. I told him that I do eat breakfast my job is demanding so I add Protein into my coffee. I told him that I do have a 10 am snack then it lunch at 12pm or 1230pm. He wasn't to concern about the Snacks but I do need to add more protein in my diet. My calorie intake is arounf 500 to 750 a day. I am burning 150 addictional calories a day but I would like to make it 200.

Well that's awesome that you are doing fine without a fill. I love the lap band, because if you need the fill you can get it, but if you don't and are doing fine on your own then you don't need to get a fill.

He wants to see how I am doing in a another month. He was impress with my weight loss and he doesn't want to rush into things. We discuss my eating habits because I track everything on MyfitnessPal. I was completely honest with him. I told him that I do eat breakfast my job is demanding so I add Protein into my coffee. I told him that I do have a 10 am snack then it lunch at 12pm or 1230pm. He wasn't to concern about the Snacks but I do need to add more protein in my diet. My calorie intake is arounf 500 to 750 a day. I am burning 150 addictional calories a day but I would like to make it 200.

Well that's awesome that you are doing fine without a fill. I love the lap band, because if you need the fill you can get it, but if you don't and are doing fine on your own then you don't need to get a fill.

Vent all you like. I learn something with each of your posts.

My family is weird. My dad is a string bean at age 74 (always has been). He's also 6'1." My mother was 5' tall on a good day' date=' and as big around as she was tall. She died from complications of being overweight. My brother had a thin build, but he was sick his whole life. Died from complications of cerebral palsy years ago. My sister is huge. Mom's family is mixed. Luckily, my father realizes that it isn't just always what you eat that determines ability to lose/maintain weight. He says if that's what it'll take, I should go for it.

Sister is a nasty piece of work. I love her, but I cannot stand her. One Easter, we had a huge blowup over the meds I take for bipolar disorder. She told me I was weak, it's all in my head (where the heck else WOULD it be????), and that I took too much medication. I simply asked her where she got her doctorate specializing in it, and it shut her up like nobody's business. Never saw her speachless before. lol I don't know where she stands on the lab band front, and frankly, I really don't care. I have the people I really need to support me.

So I guess I'm saying, take the good and leave the bad. What matters is that you're becoming more healthy. You've experienced it, and they haven't. They cannot know what goes into it, and how strong you have to be to go through it.

Linda[/quote']

I'm so sorry for your loss with your mom and brother. I'm sure that must have been really hard on you. Your poor mom, god rest her soul. I can see why this surgery means a lot to you.

Don't get me wrong I love my family since all I have is my mom, sister, and 2 nieces. Yes sometimes they make me so mad that I don't talk to them for a little bit, but I can't stay mad long since they are all I have besides the family I have created and my husbands family. I know I will have there support as far as walking and hiking with me. I just wish they would stop the negative comments.

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear you and your sister had a huge blowout. My mom told me the same thing about my anxiety/panic attacks, she said it was all in my head and I could control it if I wanted to and that I don't need medication. That is so true, I'm the one that's overweight and had the lap band not them and they have no idea how hard it is. They should just be proud that I'm trying to do something about it. I'm my have falls along the way, but at least I pick myself right back up and keep on trying.