Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good idea or really bad habit???

So I have a friend that got the vertical sleeve surgery about 14 months ago. In talking to her about my early progress after being banded, I mentioned some cravings that I'm sure everyone experiences. She said that early on, and through out her journey, she has developed something she says help curb her cravings. My friend told me that she takes bites of food, chews it, and then spits it out. At first, I thought how disgusting! But then I started to think a bit about it. I'm not sure if is a good idea or a really bad habit. Have any of you done this? Just looking for some input.

Never done it.

Personally my though is it would be a very bad habit. I changed my lifestyle, food is not my enemy I enjoy food, I just learned to eat health food in moderation.

I also have never tried it but don't think it's a good idea.

We all have unhealthy relationships with food or we wouldn't need WLS to begin with. By chewing up and spitting out food, not only are you giving your control to the food but you're dangerously close to bulimia.

Granted I'm no doctor, this is strictly my opinion, but I wouldn't do it.

Both very excellent points! Thank you for your input!

I never tried it but it sounds dangerous to me. Like flirting with disaster.

I agree with Lose100, it's flirting with disaster. Your friend is still practicing her disease, and a big part of WLS is to retrain our habits away from sick behavior. YES......I think chewing food & spitting it out is sick behavior. I'm not saying that I haven't had some of my OWN sick behaviors, but after going through the ordeal of WLS, I would hope that the goal is to find other healthier ways to deal with the compulsion. NOT easy!!

Maladaptive eating pattern, IMHO one step away from forcing yourself to throw up or taking high dosages of laxative.

I guess I didn't look at it like that. The act of doing it just sounded disgusting to me, but I didn't think about the underlying issues associated with it. I wish now that I could talk her out of doing it, but I think she is using it as a crutch. I will certainly stay far away from this bad habit. I have sacrificed so much to be able to get my lapband, that I am not about to throw it away by developing new bad habits! Thanks everyone!

I agree with everyone else. What I did was find healthier ways to fill the cravings. Feel free to join my recipe group on fb if you like. We have lots of good recipes and ideas. Feel free to friend me at hely lb.

I guess I didn't look at it like that. The act of doing it just sounded disgusting to me, but I didn't think about the underlying issues associated with it. I wish now that I could talk her out of doing it, but I think she is using it as a crutch. I will certainly stay far away from this bad habit. I have sacrificed so much to be able to get my lapband, that I am not about to throw it away by developing new bad habits! Thanks everyone!

IMHO it is simply to work the craving into your normal eating pattern, have a small portion and getting on with your life. If I am really craving chocolate, I will buy a piece of high quality chocolate, enjoy that piece and make sure the rest are under lock and key with my wife. On the whole, I have chosen to try and substitute something else for the actual craving, if I can't limit the portion size like that since most of my cravings are also trigger foods for me.

So I have a friend that got the vertical sleeve surgery about 14 months ago. In talking to her about my early progress after being banded' date=' I mentioned some cravings that I'm sure everyone experiences. She said that early on, and through out her journey, she has developed something she says help curb her cravings. My friend told me that she takes bites of food, chews it, and then spits it out. At first, I thought how disgusting! But then I started to think a bit about it. I'm not sure if is a good idea or a really bad habit. Have any of you done this? Just looking for some input.[/quote']

I've done it...I just wanted to taste it. I didn't swallow...I call this practice juicing...I don't do it often but I have done it. To the people who will judge me I am 8 weeks post op and down 40 lbs. Don't come at me crazy. I will come back.

I've done it...I just wanted to taste it. I didn't swallow...I call this practice juicing...I don't do it often but I have done it. To the people who will judge me I am 8 weeks post op and down 40 lbs. Don't come at me crazy. I will come back.

Let me say that my chubby self has never been bulemic. Lol that felt funny to say in the same sentence. Everyone has something they have done on this journey they choose not to continue doing. This was something I've tried...I no longer do this.

No judging. We all have demons in our closets otherwise we wouldn't need WLS. You admitted it and now you choose not to continue to do it. That is huge! One of the hardest parts of this journey is the head and those demons. You are working on them and therefore you will succeed.

Good for you, I am proud of you.

No judging. We all have demons in our closets otherwise we wouldn't need WLS. You admitted it and now you choose not to continue to do it. That is huge! One of the hardest parts of this journey is the head and those demons. You are working on them and therefore you will succeed.

Good for you' date=' I am proud of you.[/quote']

Thank you ajtexas...I am a huge fan of yours...it felt good to tell the truth...It means the world to me that this is the one place that I can be truely open without judgement...again I thank u.

I do have to add though....that a really bad habit I do have is spoon licking while cooking! I don't know why I have done it for so long, but I will tell you it is a hard habit to break! I'm referring to tasting things that I am cooking for my husband...things I know I'm not supposed to be eating. So many empty calories!!! I am trying very hard to catch myself before I do it. I know it is gross...but hey, if I can't confess it here...where can I? Lol.