Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Training-help Or Hindrance?

I was banded 4 mos ago, and am considering working out with weights with my hubby. I've had several people say not to 'cause it'll slow down the weight loss. What have other bandsters found to be true? I know that it'll slow down POUNDS lost, but will add more muscle, which should burn more calories, etc. What do y'all think?:confused:

Toning is the key. More reps with less weight resistance. You need to tone muscles because it is muscle that helps burn fat. I definately wouldn't try to bench press 200 lbs with your husband, but I can use the bar alone and it's great to add to your fitness routine. I'm trying to do toning at least 3x a week.

:confused: Kristin

Yes, DO IT!!! DO IT!!! I work out with weights 3x a week. I do believe that I gained muscle from working out which means I probably would have lost more weight & the scale would have dropped faster. But, I am toning my body & I have very little droopy skin. I'll post a pic here. Not trying to brag or anything by posting a picture, but wanted you to see the difference. :confused: (I'm always motivated by seeing others pictures!)

What matters the most is what we look like, not what we weigh. (I have to keep saying that over & over in my head.) I have lost 55 lbs. but feel as if I've lost a so much more. I have learned that it's all due to working out!!!

YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY THAT YOU CHOSE TO WORK OUT WITH YOUR HUSBAND!!!!!

post-204180-13813133415427_thumb.jpg post-204180-13813133415659_thumb.jpg post-205645-13813133415878_thumb.jpg

Obviously, I still have a long ways to go!!! :(

post-204836-1381313318915_thumb.jpg

post-204836-13813133189335_thumb.jpg

post-204836-13813133189478_thumb.jpg

How incredible do you look?!?!? I can certainly see a major difference. Your hips are dramatically different, arms nicely toned, nice color too! That's pretty awesome! You look great in that bathing suit, so purdy! Keep up the excellent work.

I am not going to use weights for at least another month, for the sake of weight loss/scale weight loss. Then off to weights. I hope to look as nice as you Diane.

I've had several people say not to 'cause it'll slow down the weight loss.

What are they nuts??!! Yes do it. It's excellent for your health, your looks and for burning fat! Our son is a personal trainer. He weighs 195 has 10% body fat and eats about 5,000 calories per day! Why? Because the muscles burn calories and he's trying to maintain/gain muscle weight. Your joints, back, legs, hip, everything! will feel so much better when your muscles are tones and supporting your frame with ease. Unlike how we all feel when the muscles are weak and failing to support us, resulting in aching backs, hips, knees, etc.

You are absolutely right. Muscle weighs more than fat, BUT it takes up about a third of the space on your body! I would happily weigh 150 pounds if I was slim and firm, rather than to weigh 130 and be flabby!

It won't slow you down, it will speed up your progress to looking and feel great! Do it! :clap2:

I think Photonut said it all. Resistance training is what builds the muscle, decreases body fat, and builds strong bones. It's a win-win-win situation.

Sounds great to me! Weights it is... (next month). I just want to do enough cardio first and build up my endurance, then i'll cross train.

Defiently do weight training...you may loose physical weight slower, but you will still be loosing inches. I dind't loose any weight this month, but lost inches. Make sure you measure. Here is a picture of the difference between 5lbs of fat and 5lbs of muscle...you decide which would look better. :(

attachment.png

Youre totally right, the more muscle you have the better you will look. Well, within reason, lol. I dont think muscle bound females with zero body fat is a look I want to attain but each to their own.

Dianechef you look awesome!

Have you ever heard of the Firm videos? They are fabulous and tone quickly. They can be found online and in stores like Target. Definately worth looking into. I know they work. I live in Columbia SC where the Firm is located. I know people who have gone to their studio to workout and even know some of the instructors you see in the videos.

Wonder Woman (Linda Carter) weighed 150# during her TV show years.

ok Dragonwillow, that picture made me want to go make use of that clubhouse our subdivision has LOL omg:embarassed: I said I would never go in that place; guess I can eat my words now hehehe

Diane,

You look great!

I agree with you, I would rather have muscle and less weight loss than to have the hanging fat. I have been weight training since my 2nd month of being banded. I see so many others who have had other types of WLS and they will not exercise. It's not a pretty sight.

We as women do not have what men have to bulk up and gain those types of muscles. When you see women like that, they are on a lot of supplements so don't worry about that. In the end it pays off, I love the shape my body is taking and I know it's because of the weight training.