Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone here divulge at work that they had a lap band?

I was wondering if anyone here has shared at work that they have a lap band??

There have been many forums on this same subject. It's a big issue, and the feedback is mixed.

As with anything in life, there will be those who are very supportive, and understand your choice. Then there will be a token few who don't get it; are judgmental & have strong opinions on the subject. The question for you is, are you ready to deal with any negativity that may come your way? The support is easy to accept & feels great. But what about the opinionated ones? You have to be ready for that.

Though I'm self employed & do most work from my home office, I do go out & see a couple of clients weekly. I did end up telling them, and they were both very supportive. When I made the decision to have WLS, I thought that I wouldn't tell anyone, except my close friends & family. But I've gained a lot of strength and comfort with the whole thing, and at this point, don't give a rats ass what the ignorant ones think. The people who don't get it and judge, really have no clue about the disease of obesity. Their attitude is "why don't you just eat less & exercise more?" I've learned to walk away from them, and don't feel the need "make them" understand. It takes a LOT of energy, and I'd rather spend that energy elsewhere.

So.....the question for you is, are you prepared to deal with negative comments? Can you walk away from those without feeling hurt and angry?

Because I've lost close to 86 pounds since band day of Aug 6, 2012, I did tell a few close workers. Some spread the news out at work. I don't care what they think because I'm lot's happier and feel healthier. it was for ME!

Best wishes

As an administrator who is involved in running a large school, I only told my secretary so if something should occur, someone is knowledgeable regarding my band. She would never tell anyone. We also have our medical history/notes sealed in an envelope in the nurse's office so, technically, in an emergency they would know. My honest feeling is I don't need to be judged. I'm glad I didn't tell anyone because I did gain back 30 pounds of the 70 lost (I'm working on it now!) I wouldn't want anyone feeling sorry for me that it didn't work out or, worse yet, making fun of my lack of success! My advice is tell only those that need to know...

I am a nurse in an ICU, and almost felt the feeling of shame at first that I couldnt do this on my own. After talking with a few of my closest friends and family and realizing that they were there to support me, and that I made this decision for me not anyone else, I began to tell my co workers. They have all been supportive and asked a lot of questions so they can better understand it too! There are some who dont seem as supportive, and just ignore the topic when it is brought up but I just ignore those folks and dont spend the time explaining to them what this journey will do for me and what it entails.

I had my band placed 04/01, and have received a ton of "check in" messages from my co workers which made me realize that they can help me with this journey if I allow them too! I agree that you have to be ready for those that dont understand or agree, but sometimes the support you can receive will help you too!

Good luck to you!

I only told one co-worker. I have only told my immediate family and a couple of close friends. People can be so judgemental about things they know nothing about. I felt that I did not need the negativity and chose to limit those I told. One day, after I have achieved my goal, I may tell but, then again, I may not.

I'm pretty much an open book with everyone at work and in the world. It makes my life so mucb easier. I dont worry about who knows and who doeent and how they found out.

I wasn't planning on telling people but as th time grew closer, I found that I just had to! It helped because every knew someone who had a band and I was able to connect with people. Everyone has been supportive BUT I notice that some co-workers are watching my food choices VERY closely! Lol

Yes, I told my boss first because he needed to know why I was going to the doctor every month. Then as time went on and my weight loss was noticeable after a year of my surgery, I began telling people who inquired. If they didn't ask, I didn't tell.

I only told my boy friend who i live with and my best friend. I didn't even tell my dad and I'm not telling my coworkers--i told them i had to have my gall bladder out. My support comes from the people that i went through my six month classes with. My coworkers don't need to know. Its none of their business. They saw me losing weight steadily during the six months prior to surgery so they won't be surprised when i continue to lose weight once i go back to work.

I chose to tell my friends and family. I feel like this is nothing to be ashamed of, it is just a tool to help me get on the right path for a healthier lifestyle. Sometimes I think people don't tell others because they are afraid they will fail and that's a bad way of going it to this. Hold your head high, be confident and win this battle. Tell the world u got a lap band, it's ok. It just motivates me more that my friends and family know.

Yes! I found out that many at work have had a weigh loss surgery and found it very helpful what they experienced and what I should and shouldn't do

Not telling my family and coworkers had nothing to do with bring ashamed or planning to fail. However this was a highly personal decision and i didn't want the scrutiny of my coworkers everyone i ate something or fielding questions all the time. I am the youngest person I my office and everyone else is old enough to be my mother. I don't think they would understand my need or reasons to do this. The best advice i can give is to tell who you want when you want. You aren't required to tell anyone but go with your gut. Just know if you tell one person they will probably tell others so be prepared for that.

I did. I am not ashamed of having this procedure. I work in the hospital emergency room and I know of 3 people that have had lapbands. I found out that my Boss had Gastric Bypass 3 years ago and I never would have guessed, except by her eating habits I kind of suspected.

I'm having surgery next month. I have been very open with my co-workers. I work in a small 911 communications center and we are all pretty open with one another. 2 of the other supervisors I work with had the surgery last year and have really inspired me to do it. They have done great with it and has been very open with me about their journey. I guess the only person that suprised me was my mother (we are very close). I even took her to a seminar and she doesn't like the idea of me having it and the band being inside my body for the rest of my life. She keeps telling me how I could do it on my own with diet and excercise. I appreciate her honesty about it, but I'm going ahead with the surgery. I know what's best for me. I think she'll come around when I start losing weight.