Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No prescription pain meds post op?

My doctors office says that all I will need is Advil, Tylenol or Aleve post op and that they do not send you home with a prescription for any pain medication. This has me a little worried since I'm not the toughest cookie in the jar. Any thoughts? TIA!

I was given 2 scripts one for liquid lortab an the other is phenergan gel for nausea. I'm sorry I can't imagine them not giving you any thing for pain management as I have read alot if other forums here I haven't yet heard of no one not getting them from their dr wishing you well recoveries

I have an appointment with my surgeon next week (banding scheduled for week after next) and I'm going to discuss with him. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line of thinking this was going to be a little more pain than advil could handle! I'm not one to suffer silently! Thanks for your reply!

I think (IMHO) that the pain is worth prescription pain meds. I was on my liquid Vicodin for a week (I even got a refill). The pain isn't intolerable (I've had many surgeries before and this was by far the easiest), but I would have been very miserable with just Tylenol. I would definitely talk to him. Is this for all of his patients or just you?

Marci

I was totally fine with only Tylenol and Phenergan. Never touched my Lortab. It would be nice to have it available though, if needed.

This is for all patients. I know when I had gallbladder surgery, I had lortab for a week and needed it. I would think that this will be similar. The nurse said that I will just be sore like I did a whole lot of sit ups at the gym. I'm not really buying that.

I have an appointment with my surgeon next week (banding scheduled for week after next) and I'm going to discuss with him. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line of thinking this was going to be a little more pain than advil could handle! I'm not one to suffer silently! Thanks for your reply!

After banding, you're not suppose to take Advil (ibuprofen) anymore. It's hard on the stomach, and erodes the band. My doctor gave me a list of acceptable over the counter pain relievers, and Tylenol is fine.

I can't imagine why a surgeon wouldn't give you a prescription for a narcotic pain killer. Like some above, I also got liquid Vicodin, which saved me! Yesterday I took it only one time, which is a huge improvement from a few days ago. I'm only half way through the bottle, and they wrote it with two refills. Can't imagine how on earth I'd need that much, but it's good to have around.....

This is for all patients. I know when I had gallbladder surgery, I had lortab for a week and needed it. I would think that this will be similar. The nurse said that I will just be sore like I did a whole lot of sit ups at the gym. I'm not really buying that.

A lot of sit-ups? More like being hit in the stomach with an anvil! I had my gallbladder taken out at the same time as my band/plication. After 6 days, my stomach still hurts pretty bad, and it's hard to know which part of the procedure is causing what. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I'm still not breathing normally. Deep breaths hurt, so I guess I've been shallow breathing since the surgery. Hopefully that will subside in the next few days.

Yeah - I would call your doctor and request a heavy duty pain killer. I can't imagine them sending you home without it.....never heard of it, actually.

All my doctor prescribed for me was liquid Tylenol with codine...i did pretty fine with that, the first night, next day i went out and bought childrens Tylenol so i wouldn't be drowsy during the day...my friend is a nurse on a bariatrics floor and she said they prescribe their patients liquid Percocet but i think what it comes down to is the doctor and everyones individual pain tolerance. For me personally the gas pains hurt more than the incisions, but still the gas pain was tolerable but really really annoying....by day 3 the incision pain was there but not horrible, I'm day 5 i have slight gas pain didn't take any of my Tylenol yesterday or today..but again everyone has a different tolerance to pain

I was given Zantec (liquid) for one month, Colace (liquid) still use that daily and liquid Percoset (excuse spelling). I was told never again any thing with aspirin in it it does something to the band. Ask your doctor for stronger meds, they are needed for a few days anyway. Good luck.

I only used liquid tylenol. I had no gas pain and my reaction to the surgical tape was the purse worst part of my recovery.

I was banded 3/27-this gas pain is intolerabke. Any recommendations? Also, any advice on starting off successfully?

All I can say is I was banded 5 days ago and thank GOD for my Percocet!

The pain level is just different for each person but none the less it is nice to have something if you need it. I can't remember what was perscribed for me but I didn't take anything because I didn't have any pain, actually had the surgery twice and no pain either time. I was so blessed, I didn't even have the shoulder pain either (I have had that before way back when when tubes were tied so I know what that is).

The pain level is just different for each person but none the less it is nice to have something if you need it. I can't remember what was perscribed for me but I didn't take anything because I didn't have any pain, actually had the surgery twice and no pain either time. I was so blessed, I didn't even have the shoulder pain either (I have had that before way back when when tubes were tied so I know what that is).

Thank you for your reply. Do you know what you did that might have helped you avoid the pain? Looking for any and all helpful hints! :).Thanks!