Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible solution for PB's and restriction pain

Jesse - Thanks so much for checking on this! I firmly believe it should be added to the bandster instruction sheet at time of surgery if this is the case! This can save tons of unnecessary pain and embarrassment! I've now tried this 3 times and it has worked EVERY time.

You get the lifesaver award this month!

First, the port doesn't actually stick out of your body. It is under the skin. As far as choking, I 've never felt that, it's more like after you swallow and it feels like a golf ball, but not in my throat, down lower.

It is a very personal decision, but so far it has been worth it for me. I am down 35 lbs at 3 months. I have learned that I have to eat a lot slower, and chew VERY well. I just had my 3rd fill and if I don't I have that golf ball pain. I am pleased so far, but again like I said, it is a personal decision. Do your homework and research to see which procedure best suits your life. Good luck!

I haven't had these PB problems yet, I am only 9 days out and still on liquids...but have a feeling I will be forever glad I read about it first!! I did want to say that the man who spoke at the seminar I went to told us about the meat tenderizer. And something Kim said in an earlier post made me think to mention this, they sell it as meat tenderizer, but it can be used to dislodge any type of food, his personal experience was with the skin of a grape. Like he told us, they would have a hard time marketing grape skin tenderizer...or in your case the other day Kim, spaghetti-0 tenderizer!! He recommended it, and the woman who spoke says she never goes anywhere without her Papaya enzymes. I think I may practice deep breathing and buy both tenderizer and papaya!! Anyway guys, thanks for the heads up!!!

Kat

I actuallly took a deep breath while doing a fill with flouro and saw how it moved and my dr. explained how things go down easier with a deep breath. Never tried holding it but next time I'm in a bind I will. Thanks for the tip!

Ok, My next question would be, you eat what you want, just less, and you do NOT feel hungry? How does it help when you get cravings during PMS? I get a strong craving for chocolate and salty food. But I would still lose weight? How many calories per day do you think you are getting?

Pam

Pam,

Most of us have extreme changes in our cravings after surgery. I ate anything that was a carb before surgery. I LOVED chocolate. Now, since I eat so little, I stick to Proteins and my body doesn't feel the need to crave food. I haven't had chocolate since I was banded, and pre-band it was an everyday occurence.

Now around PMS time, I crave different drinks more than anything (like today it's iced tea!) weird I know, but it's true.

And don't be afraid of the PB/slime thing. I've been banded over 2 months, have good restriction and still haven't PB'ed or slimed. I just have to take my time.

AND THANK YOU for the breathing tip. I needed it today. I did get a "golfball" while eating with friends (not paying enough attention to how fast I was eating) and it passed very, very quickly.

:) Kristin

Let me know what you find out about this slime thing - I'm in the final stages of getting final insurance approval for the band - but until this site - haven't really heard from people who had the band - heard about complications and lifestyle with the band. If this sliming thing is a regular occurance forever than I may sadly have to reconsider...:help:

Oh yes it is worth it! You don't choke when you PB. You just get a little stuck. Eating too fast, and/or too big a bite can do it for me. Roast beef gave me a PB yesterday. When you first feel that uncomfortable feeling that to me is then followed by burping and hiccuping... the PB has begun. Uncomfortable yes. Horrible no. We have to learn to take small bites and chew chew chew chew before swallowing.

I have questions??? What is the difference between PBing and Throwing Up? My scenario is, no food or liquid after around 7pm or I throw up in middle of night and next morning - liquid that comes up. Then no food or drink till I attempt something ice blended.....Hot just comes up and produces saliva (opposite to all others). So, I drive to work with low blood sugar and dehydration. Then I can get liquids down from about 1pm on and then around 4 or 5pm the flood gates open and I can eat anything not nailed down. What is up with this? Is this normal? Restriction to the enth degree and then none, right when I am starving and ready for a binge??? Help.

When you talk about meat tenderizer, are you talking about true meat tenderizer like Lowery, or is this something else? Also, what does it do?

Hope Works- The slime thing is as rare as the PB. Your mouth just produces extra saliva to help get the stuck food down. If you chew properly and eat slowly enough it won't happen, at all. And a PB (which I had my first small one last night as a result of my time of the month tightening my band-happens to some of us apparently) is more like a last food bite coming back into your throat with reflux. It wasn't anything dramatic. I simply excused myself to the bathroom and spit the little bit of food out. No biggie.

TMZ- You definately should talk to your doc, that doesn't sound at all comfortable or effective. I have a little tighter restriction in the morning, but by like 9am I can eat regular food.

:D Kristin

Since my first fill April 12th I've had quite a few episodes of PB and golfball and throwing up. When I get the golfball I automatically took deep breaths trying to get something to move. I've found though...that doing that makes me throw up quicker. I'm going to have to try the holding the deep breath in and see if that works. Lord knows I'm trying to eat slow, chew well etc but, sometimes that first bite just sets it all off. Hopefully this holding of my deep breath will help. Thanks for the info.

I'm home from work today and, luckily, read your post! I had a painful bite today, held my breath several times and it passed!

Thank you!!!!