Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible solution for PB's and restriction pain

6/23/06 3:30 a.m. - Well I am unable to sleep because I am miserable. I have really come down from the surgery high! (I had surgery 6/20/06) I don't hurt particularly but I have had a miserable day of constant nausea. I tried to drink a V8 this morning and threw the last of it up. Did I drink too fast? Did I not wait long enough and overfill my pouch? I don't know! Then it took all day to get down 11 ounces of diluted apple juice. I did a little better with 10 more ounces of Water and got 8 of them down before bedtime. But now it is 3:30 a.m. and I am hungry and thirsty and feel an uncomfortable tightness in my chest. I am up walking ariound and trying to drink 10 more ounces of water. I hope this gets better soon!

Its been a while since I was last on. I've been so busy with work. Not to mention, my wife and I had our first child (daughter) in late October of last year, so now at 8 months old, she consumes a lot of mine and my wifes time.

Ok, so I'm writing today to tell everyone that I have been having a lot of success with the holding my breath during restriction pain, but I wanted to share something else that I've kinda figured out. Sometimes, the way the food seems to settle at my band seems to get stuck, and holding the deep breath works for most occasions, but theres been some times that holding my breath didn't work. So, if you're like me, and holding your breath doesn't always work, consider trying to let all your breath out, really squeezing out every last bit of air and squeezing your diaphragm. When the pressure of my lungs being full doesn't help, sometimes, giving as much room as possible to the area also seems to help.

And yes, I double-checked with my doctor and nurse and they both don't see any problems or contraindications for doing this.

Just thought I'd share. Good luck!

6/23/06 3:30 a.m. - Well I am unable to sleep because I am miserable. I have really come down from the surgery high! (I had surgery 6/20/06) I don't hurt particularly but I have had a miserable day of constant nausea. I tried to drink a V8 this morning and threw the last of it up. Did I drink too fast? Did I not wait long enough and overfill my pouch? I don't know! Then it took all day to get down 11 ounces of diluted apple juice. I did a little better with 10 more ounces of Water and got 8 of them down before bedtime. But now it is 3:30 a.m. and I am hungry and thirsty and feel an uncomfortable tightness in my chest. I am up walking ariound and trying to drink 10 more ounces of Water. I hope this gets better soon!

Lucymann - I hate to say it, but you really shouldn't be drinking V8 3 days after your surgery. You are ONLY supposed to be drinking Clear liquids for the first 3-4 days. After that, you're supposed to be drinking semi-clear liquids like broth and diluted juices. V8 is very harsh on your stomach right away. Also, since cold liquids makes your esophagus contract, I would do all I could to stay away from anything cooler than room temperature. The contractions on your esophagus could cause unnecessary strain on your stitches. Just my 2¢.

Thanks Jesse - the things I am drinking are on my doctor's list but I will avoid the V8 from now on! I do only drink room temperature liquids. I am mostly concerned with not being able to get all my Water in.

Remember that Water can be in the form of iced tea, coffee, hot tea. At least, some believe this to be true. I think the V8 was just too much and you might not be able to handle that at all. I could never handle it pre band. I also tried warm broths and that seems to be what my tummy likes.

Actually, while it is true that there is Water in caffeinated drinks such as coffee and tea, they work against the purpose of drinking Water because caffeine is a diuretic which dehydrates you.

Best to stick with water and low calorie, low sugar juices. :eek:

Hi all - I think I figured out what my problem was. I am sure I drank it too fast. I tried it again yesterday SLOWLY and it was just fine. But my husband bought me some chicken noodle Soup and we strained it and I drank the broth and it was delicious. I think I will stick to things like that for awhile.

By the way, my doctor insists that we drink 64 ozs of pure Water a day and he says NO coffee/NO tea/NO milk/and (of course) NO sugar.

I did not have any nausea yesterday and walked a mile with my husband and little dog and drank almost all of my Water and felt much better.

Today I showered, did my hair, got dressed and the sun is shining so I am planning on having a great day!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice and caring.

Lucy

:embarassed: "Nodumblonnd - Slime is a graphic way of describing what happens when food gets held up. Whenever you eat, your mouth produces saliva to assist the food with passing thru your esophagus. When food gets stuck, your mucus producing tissue in your mouth secrets a thicker saliva (aka Slime) that, when swallowed, should help you swallow the food easier. Its very slippery. However, because the band is actually restricting the food flow and not just a large bite of food, swallowing this saliva just makes the situation worse. To complicate matters, you feel like you should swallow but you physically can't. It doesn't have room to go anywhere."

Hi All

Actually, the slime is a normal thing that your body does when you start eating. Your stomach produces the slime to protect your stomach and help the digestion process. When you have a restriction it's all about hydraulics - there is a smaller opening so you have to just pay attention when you eat - chew your food (now I sound like your Mother!) well! Once gravity kicks in the food will start to slide down if you don't panic and tighten up. Putting Fluid on top of the clog is not recommended - it only lands on top of the clog and will be the first thing out of your mouth when you burp it up. This is not projectile vomiting...just clearing the path.

Hope this helps! If you think about it, it is an art to learn how to eat and not get the clog. :):D

Personally I can't answer that question yet I'm only into my 3 or 4th month of this, and have only been pbing for a month or so. I am not sure even what it is. I think it is spitting slime maybe I'm wrong, but I do have the golfballs and slime alot since my last 2 fills. Yes I do believe it is from eating to fast without a doubt. Some maybe because of to tight of fills. But to be totally honest with you as of this day I'm not sure if I would say it is worth it. It will be if I can get passed this horrible period of learning different things about the band and what I can eat and how to eat. I know this I have lost about 27 pds. and feel much better.

Good luck on the choices you make.

My experience and knowing the difference between sliming and pbing - sliming is usually just clear and/or liquidy. Normally happens when I think taking a sip of something will help the pain a little and 99.9% of the time, I'm wrong - liquid only makes it worse. PBing is more when you "slime, spit and food comes out with it". NASTY!! I know but it's now part of my life when I don't follow instructions. And yes, I found out that you have to chew chew chew and then some more even after you've chewed - that's the key for me!! FINALLY I have more restriction and although it still hurts when I eat, I can't wait for the lbs to start dropping!!