Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible solution for PB's and restriction pain

My DD had to do a report on Lungs and the Respitory System. While in research the diaphragm can cause all sorts of side effects like hiccups which has been a stop eating sign for me since banding.

This holding a deep breath makes sence. Here's just a few things I found out.

In the anatomy of mammals, the diaphragm is a shelf of muscle extending across the bottom of the ribcage. The diaphragm separates the thoracic cavity (with lung and heart) from the abdominal cavity (with liver, stomach, intestines, etc.). In its relaxed state, the diaphragm is shaped like a dome. It is critically important in respiration: in order to draw air into the lungs, the diaphragm contracts, thus enlarging the thoracic cavity and reducing intra-thoracic pressure (the external intercostals muscles also participate in this enlargement). When the diaphragm relaxes, air is exhaled by elastic recoil of the lung and the tissues lining the thoracic cavity.

The diaphragm also helps to expel vomit, feces, and urine from the body by increasing intra-abdominal pressure. A hiccup occurs when the diaphragm contracts periodically without voluntary control.

A hiatal hernia can result from a tear or weakness in the diaphragm near the gastroesophageal junction.

I get all kinds of attension when I do my chicken Dance:eek:

Pam, read this thread for more explanation of PBs. It's not really like choking. After your first time, it's not really even scary. That first time, everything is new, so you kind of freak out. But it becomes just a part of banded life... when you PB you know you did something wrong.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17215&highlight=PB+definition

I didn't know about holding your breath, though... gonna give it a try! It would be a lot easier then the other remedies we talk about! ;)

Oh, and Pam, the port doesn't actually stick outside of our skin... it's sutured to the stomach muscle... deep inside your abdominal wall. You can feel it as you get skinnier & some people can see it, sorta... if they look in the right place & stand at the right angle. But really, you have to know where to look.

I can feel mine, but only if I'm feeling both sides... then I can tell the difference. If Mikey (my hubby) stands up & tilts to the right while leaning forward, lol, I can feel his. :)

If your port ends up being visible in your opinion after you lose weight, port-revision surgery is possible to get a lower profile port (one that lays flatter or is stitched in deeper).

Keep asking questions! ;) You're doing great!

Pam - You're a worrier like me, so I'm going to do my best to alleviate some of your worries.

1. Its not choking. Have you ever eaten a bagel or some other dense doughy food and it felt like a brick in your chest? This is very similar except for the fact that you can't drink to make the feeling go away. It doesn't feel like choking either. It feels just very uncomfortable.
  2. It CAN be avoided. I hate to say it but when it first happened to me, I panicked. I called the nurse and she asked me a very simple question "does it happen when you eat mushy food? ". What a revelation of a question, because the answer is "no, it doesn't happen with mushy food". If I eat oatmeal, chili, Soup, pudding, etc, no discomfort. So, her reply was "you're taking too big of bites". I'm having a hard time still in the infancy of my surgery trying to determine exactly how much I can swallow, how much is enough chewing, etc. Its definitely "biting off more than I can chew".
  3. Port sticking out??? You really have a misconception of what the port is and what it feels like. I will tell you two things I have discovered regarding the port. 1 - The port isn't visible and never will be. 2 - Its actually a welcome reminder that you had the surgery. You can slightly feel it under your skin.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I couldn't be happier with the surgery and will never look back.

Jesse

Ok here is my ? Is BP one of the ways we learn to stop eating SO much. Isn't it a warning like slow down or hey thats to much!

I have had 2 mini slimes I guess in the past 2 weeks.

Pam...

I too have a fear of choking. I think it stems from my childhood, when a neighbor choked to death in their kitchen on a piece of steak. Anyway...you don't choke with stuck food, PB, etc.

The port is no big deal at all, and the slime is not an everyday thing for most of us. It is definitely worth it. I am down 90 pounds.

I immediately noticed this deep breath to relieve a golf ball, but it did not occur to me that this was a good solution. I thought about the diaphram support my esophogus and helping to guide the food through the band, but I also envisioned a situation that mimics filling the pouch to a point where it may be distended. Pressure from above, resisting the bodies temptation to PB, countered by no pressure from below seems like it would be ideal situation for a slip.

Now, I know that frequent PB's may facilitate a slip also. So holding your breath may be a lesser of two evils thing. I am not filled to restriction yet, first fill 2 weeks ago(1.5cc's), and I am pretty certain that it has all been absorbed back into the band, as I have NO RESTRICTION WHATSOEVER. So, with that said, once I have restriction, I may be sitting at the table with blue lips like the rest of you, but i wanted to throw my uneducated theory out there to see what you all thought...

I became aware of my deep fear of choking when I began having anxiety attacks and was afraid to swallow. When I saw a therapist we discovered that my fear stemmed from my little sister having seizures, stopped breathing & at times she would be eating when she had one and would choke. My parents were young and neglectful so I felt responsible for her. So when the anxiety spilled over that is how it manifested itself. Today when I began reading about pb's ( which I still am unsure what that means) and slime, and pain on swallowing, my anxiety swelled over again. Thanks for educating me so I don't have to be afraid.

Pam

Oh - please let this work! My band is being weird lately. Sometimes I can eat just fine, but most of the time I slime like something out of Alien until I can get past the first bit of food deal. Thanks for sharing! I'll be holding my breath tomorrow!

Kim! ROFLOL! Sliming Like an Alien! I think you just coined a new phrase! I'm still laughing - even after reading all the way through this thread!

Ok here is my ? Is BP one of the ways we learn to stop eating SO much. Isn't it a warning like slow down or hey thats to much!

I have had 2 mini slimes I guess in the past 2 weeks.

PB as a learning tool is exactly like shock therapy. Once you figure out that you're going to pay if you don't follow the rules, you learn to follow the rules. At least that's my take on it.

PB = productive burp... it can't be explained, it has to be experienced. Basically, you take a bite & it's too much. It can't get through the stoma into the lower stomach... so it has to come back up.

So you "throw up"... except it's not like vomiting, though some call it that. It's more like a baby spitting up. It's a big burp or hiccup that contains food. And the food isn't really even digested, since it never made it to the lower stomach.

It sounds gross & disturbing, but other then the first time, it's really not too traumatic. I've learned to deal with it discreetly. And my trick to not have it is:

1. TINY bites

2. Chew to goo

3. Wait for 30-60 seconds with my mouth empty between bites

4. Stop ANYTIME I have mild chest pain (pain behind the sternum -- which becomes a "golf-ball" feeling if you take another bite)

5. DON'T push it... this is where I get into trouble. I can't convince myself I'm full, lol. I'm working on it!

Thank you so much for the tip... i was just wondering if there was any good tricks like that since i'm having that golf ball every meal right now. I'm so thankful for a tip like this.

Pam - I have a fear of choking, too. My aunt choked when I was little and tried to come to me for help and I thought she was kidding.. she always used to be goofy and messed around alot. This time she wasn't. Since then I break into a sweat whenever I so much as hear someone who sounds like they are choking. It may just be a cough but I'm wigging out. This isn't like choking at all. It's like you swallowed something too big to go down but it gets stuck in your chest area (just about the band). It in no way keeps you from breathing... it's just uncomfortable! Hope that helps. For me the gain is worth the pain.... most of the time I forget that the band is even there.

Mini-me,

Good thought. Does anyone think holding your breath to make the golfball go away will do any damage to the band (at least any more than having something stuck in there and sliming away?) Vera listed the science there of how the esophogas works.... but I don't know how to make the connection about whether or not it will hurt anything. I guess it expands the esophogas and allows the food to at least readjust in there (don't know if it makes it go down or not - I'm thinking not because I was still full after I held my breath - just no more pains).