Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry I'm posting so many threads today, just got this app and its been helpful so far. Just wondering what recovery times are for those who had the surgery done. By this I mean how many days did you have to wait before going back to work, going back to doing normal every day activities. Is this something I can get done on a Friday and be okay for work on monday or is it a week or more recovery. I know it is different for everyone but curious about your experiences

It depends on how active you are. I was off pain meds by day 4 and driving by day 5. I was easily able to do light housework during my week off but 7 minutes of brisk walking tired me out when before surgery I could run 20 minutes pretty easily. I returned to work (which is mostly office work) after a week off but 3 weeks post op I know I still don't have the stamina I had before the surgery but I'm hoping I'll be cleared to start doing more cardio and weightlifting after 4 weeks rather than the 6 my surgeon told me originally.

Good question... Im getting mine done on a monday and i go back to work on that Thursday i hope that's enough recovery time....

ANewMe428

My recovery was the same as Frederic I stopped the pain meds on day 4 and started driving day 5. I recommend the week off work if you do light duty desk work. The only pain I felt in my incisions was the port incision which I used an ice pack the first few days to help reduce. My doctor cleared me on my 1-week post op to do any light exercises that doesn't cause pain, so I walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes a day. Good Luck to you!

I just had mine yesterday. I am pretty sore and not really taking much pain med... I can walk without discomfort, it's the getting up and down that get me.. I took the week off, i tried driving this am and couldn't do it!

After the surgery you'll probably be surprised how much you use your abdominal muscles.

Also if you sneeze or cough right after the surgery it can be pretty painful after the pain otherwise goes away but eventually that too starts to feel normal.

Funny story... after the surgery I stayed with my Mom so she could take care of my kids and day2 I decided I would sleep in her bed.. bad idea it took about 15mins to lay on it and I could never get comfortable and I was stuck took about 20-30 minutes to figure out how to get back out of the bed! Its not a C-Sec but those stomach muscles are going to ache... Recliners are the BEST!!! ;)

My surgery was Friday morning and I was back at my desk on Monday with no trouble.

I did have a rough time on Tuesday with very painful left shoulder pain (gas related). It was hard to talk and concentrate on what others were saying, but I got through the day and I don't think anyone knew I was in pain.