Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calories and exercise

Ok so I eat 1100 calories a day and I work out everyday, but have not lost weight in months. In fact I gained 5lbs, am I eating too few calories? I'm not sure but I need help quick!!!

Have you taken your measurements and lost inches? I find that I lose more inches than weight. My clothes size keeps getting smaller, love it! I take my measurements once a month and each month they do go down.

Ok so I eat 1100 calories a day and I work out everyday, but have not lost weight in months. In fact I gained 5lbs, am I eating too few calories? I'm not sure but I need help quick!!!

Its not that I don't believe you...it just seems unusual. Is there a medical reason you may not be losing? Might it be possible that you are forgetting to write down liquid calories? Are you tracking every thing going in to your mouth except toothpaste? If so Do you weigh and measure your food? Are you drinking 64 oz of Water every day? If you are doing all of that I would make an appointment with your bariatric dr and see if he can't help you solve this issue.

I know it goes against many people's logic on this forum, but I always find it goes against my logic that we have to "Eat more to loose more"

In my own experience, I have always found the opposite to be true.....

Every plateau I've broken was by eating less.....

If we need to eat more to loose, then none of us would be fat.......

We are hunter gatherer's, and in primitive terms we store excess food/energy as fat in anticipation for "Famine and drought" .....well it has been my thinking it's time to start using that fat I've been storing away.....

Since being banded....I have always heard people use the "Starvation" mode....I researched it as much as I could, read old textbooks, spoke with people at a few of the Hospitals I go to weekly (including nutritionists in the critical care units) ,....bottom line...IF you were normal weight and had to go without food, you're in BIG trouble..... all these studies are conducted with "Normal" size and weight individual....NOT morbidly Obese people who have enough fat to last 4 months on a deserted Island!

What we do need is Protein, and Water, both which are essential to life......

I have always worked out on a empty stomach, other than some pure Liquid Protein, and relied upon Burning Fat as my energy source...and in my case, it worked!

I now have a very low body fat %, the Fit - Athletic range.....

Dr. says at my last visit, I have no more weight left to loose, and thee is not a ounce of fat on you (exaggeration)

So all I'm saying, if you feel you need to EAT MORE...go at it.....I'm just saying the opposite has always worked for me......

(now, it's 5am and I'm off to the Gym)

i believe in inches lost a better (way to view losing weight)

sure its great to see the scale move but sometimes with TOM, sodium contents etc, the scale dont budge and even gains (hark/gasp)......so if you doing what you write (eating and exercising) and you are and have lost inches (and you will know by your clothes).....then you have lost......i seriously think that is fantastic and a way to tell for sure if the band is working......only you know that answer.

I know it goes against many people's logic on this forum, but I always find it goes against my logic that we have to "Eat more to loose more"

In my own experience, I have always found the opposite to be true.....

Every plateau I've broken was by eating less.....

If we need to eat more to loose, then none of us would be fat.......

We are hunter gatherer's, and in primitive terms we store excess food/energy as fat in anticipation for "Famine and drought" .....well it has been my thinking it's time to start using that fat I've been storing away.....

Since being banded....I have always heard people use the "Starvation" mode....I researched it as much as I could, read old textbooks, spoke with people at a few of the Hospitals I go to weekly (including nutritionists in the critical care units) ,....bottom line...IF you were normal weight and had to go without food, you're in BIG trouble..... all these studies are conducted with "Normal" size and weight individual....NOT morbidly Obese people who have enough fat to last 4 months on a deserted Island!

What we do need is Protein, and Water, both which are essential to life......

I have always worked out on a empty stomach, other than some pure Liquid Protein, and relied upon Burning Fat as my energy source...and in my case, it worked!

I now have a very low body fat %, the Fit - Athletic range.....

Dr. says at my last visit, I have no more weight left to loose, and thee is not a ounce of fat on you (exaggeration)

So all I'm saying, if you feel you need to EAT MORE...go at it.....I'm just saying the opposite has always worked for me......

(now, it's 5am and I'm off to the Gym)

If I could parse most of the comments over the last year or more regarding the "starvation mode" topic, I believe what B52 is saying is accurate. Hard to believe that someone eating 900 calories a day and burning 1600 in daily activity and 300 more in exercise, could not lose weight.......,eventually. Oh sure, the body will react and slow down our metabolism but it won't stop our metabolism.

I can't speak for B52 but me thinks that many of us are cheaters and may not be aware we're cheaters. Or, some just do not understand that replacing fat with muscle can equal no weight loss. We're all polite to reply to those who claim to eat 800-1000 calories a day and exercise profusely 5 days a week but the bottom line is, something's not adding up here? I find it impossible to understand how one could burn through 2000 calories a day and only consume 1000 and not lose "FAT"? Fat being the operative word! jmo too

tmf

I always think of the images of those poor POW's, all skin and bone, and say...."If they only had an unlimited supply of Protein, Water, and Vitamins.."

Ok so I eat 1100 calories a day and I work out everyday' date=' but have not lost weight in months. In fact I gained 5lbs, am I eating too few calories? I'm not sure but I need help quick!!![/quote']

Welcome to my world!!

And no I am not cheating food wise. And yes I do an hour of rigorous cardio 7 days a week. And I went I an oncologist who says my thyroid is fine. Beyond frustrating.

Maybe you are not eating enough. I also agree you should take some of your tracked days to a nutritionist who works with your band doctor"