Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Im 30 years old from TN getting ready to have the lap band soon. Ive heard some really bad horror stories about the band, but Im going to truck forward as I see many success stories here! Im currently at 234 and hoping to lose at least 50 pounds! Im glad I found this site!

Hello! Im 30 years old from TN getting ready to have the lap band soon. Ive heard some really bad horror stories about the band' date=' but Im going to truck forward as I see many success stories here! Im currently at 234 and hoping to lose at least 50 pounds! Im glad I found this site![/quote']

your success is determined on you! there are plenty more success stories out there, you will read many of them on this forum!!!!

After reading some horror stories lately, Ive come to realize that people looked at the lapband (WLS in general) as a miracle weightloss device.. which is far from the truth. As long as you have the mind phrame that your lapband is like a personal assistant (its just there to assist your hard work) then you will be fine!

Welcome to this forum! :) and GOOD LUCK! :)

Hi there! I know exactly what u mean. I am getting ready to be banded on march 20th and I've spent plenty of time doing my research. I know someone who had lap band and has done terribly with it. He bad mouthed the drs and blamed them for wasting his money. Hearing all of that kind of made me rethink whether I should go through with it or not. On the flip side my sister and friend have it and have had great success with it. After getting to know that person better and learning his eating habits and just overall attitude I knew that he was completely non compliant and expected this to be his miracle. Suffice it to say I was not going to take any of his advice and I made the decision to move forward with it! Do your research, think long and hard and make your decision based on YOU and don't let fear hold you back (If its irrational fear I should say). Good luck with everything!

Too bad there's no forum for the obese who didn't have WLS and are now room temperature? :( If only they could talk? The horror stories they could tell?

After getting to know that person better and learning his eating habits and just overall attitude I knew that he was completely non compliant and expected this to be his miracle.

Some people cannot let go of their addiction and even WLS can't change them. Only the patient can change their eating habits. Although it is true that WLS of any kind can fail the patient, it's my belief that the vast majority of failures are exactly what you described. Good post!

tmf

Hi Kara, I was banded in December 2010 and I weighed 231 pre-op and on the day of surgery I was 255 because they had me on a special diet for 8 days prior to the surgery. Today, I weighed on my digital scale and it said 158.8. Yes, I have had a couple problems along the way. One, I was too tight and food got stuck so they had to unliquify me so that made me gain weight because I could eat a lot more than I should. They slowly added Fluid and again I allowed them to put too much and we found that my stoma was slumping over my band. So more fluid had to be taken out once again. Then I began to eat a lot again as I absolutely LOVE food. Once my band and stoma were back the way they are supposed to be, I had to make up my mind to get back in the habit of eating well and finally 8 months later, I have finally lost what I gained and then some. It all begins with you. Good luck!

Welcome aboard!! You will find some great info and some great people here. You wont hear any horror stories from me, I love my band! I started out at 235 and my goal at the time was 75 pounds which seemed like a huge amount to tackle. I didn't even think I could get lower than that. But I did. I hit my first goal of 175, then 160, then 140 and then I said 135 and now I would love to see 129. If I can keep myself under 135 I will be a happy camper. If I can do it, you can do it too! Good luck!

Sorry I meant I was 225 on my surgery date. LOL My bad. I'm typing faster than I'm thinking. :lol: