Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just not loosing anything

I'm a month post op and I keep losing and gaining 5 lbs????? Dr has no idea and I'm truly at this point just ticked beyond belief. I eat and drink what I'm supposed to and nothing. I'm to the point I want this damn band out

well, a month post op, you are still healing and losing weight really shouldnt be an issue as is letting the insides heal. weight goes up and down all day long for various reasons. to gain weight you must eat more calories than you burn off. only you know that answer...i dont mean to sound mean but if at 1 month post op you are wishing the band was out, you most likely wont do well thinking that way

keep doing what you are doing (eating healthy in allotted amounts/drink alot) and focus on inches coming off whether than what the scale says.

Wow if I gave up after month 1 I would never be where I am today. I don't think my weight loss kicked in until like mid way through month 3. There is probably a good chance you have no fill or very little in that band. Honestly, you are not giving it a chance from the sounds of it.

A lot of people, myself included seem to have had that feeling "OK, I had surgery now the weight is going to fall off"....It is frustrating but it doesn't work that way. Sorry you are going through a tough spell but I recommend seeking out a support group or talk with your Doctor. Your expectations seem a little high at the moment.

don't give up! One month is nothing, you need to give your body time to heal. Your band isn't even functioning to its full potential. When I was losing slow in the beginning and would get mad, had to keep reminding myself how much more I would prob weigh had I not had the surgery. Give it time.

WOW....sorry your so upset...but did your dr not tell you that you dont get banded and in one month drop 20lbs.......

Its a much slower weight loss then bypass......

give it a chance !!!

You're kidding, right? You're going to give up after a month???

Honestly, good luck with the removal. I hope you have better luck on your own because you obviously didn't take the band seriously at all.

Wow! I empathize with your frustration, but perhaps you should just wait until you calm down and think this through. Your reaction sounds a bit childish. You sound like Veruca in "Willy Wonka and The chocolate Factory". "I want it Daddy! I want it now!" Did you gain all your weight in a month? I doubt it. Sometimes it seems like weight gain came on really fast, but losing it takes even longer. It's not like the band goes in and wham - the weight falls off. Your body hasn't even had a chance to finish healing, so even though it may not feel like it, you probably still have some swelling. You also have to work with your body (and your mind) to kick it into weight loss mode.

Whether you like it or not, the human body comes equipped with a strong survival instinct and will automatically kick into gear, slow it's metabolism if threatened with what it perceives to be starvation and/or injury. Your job is to give your metabolism a kick in the pants to get it going, eat healthy but fewer calories than you burn so you lose fat instead of muscle after you heal. You're not even far enough along to start a proper exercise regimen. Right now your body has been injured (surgery), or so it thinks and you've changed what it was used to consuming. Be patient, this takes work!

I hope for your sake that your insurance and doctor do not give in and remove your band this early in the game. I don't think you have had it long enough to know whether or not this will work for you. Perhaps you need to find a support person or group and take a look around on this forum so you can see what it takes to make this work for you. You may be right that this is not for you, but since you've come this far, what have you got to lose (no pun intended) by sticking it out a little longer?

I am the same as you. I was banded on 2/1 and I have lost 10 pounds in total. I have been up an down the same 2 pounds for 2 weeks. I understand the frustration (hell, I feel it too) when you see people posting they lost 16 pounds in one week! BUT, I know I don't have a fill and I'm sure you don't either. You have to rely on will power and I have been eating about 1,500 cals and I haven't been exercising. I finally feel good enough to start moving and hopefully that will get the scale moving before I get my first fill. I know 1,500 cals is more than most people but I am hungry and have no restriction at all. I think you need to give it a chance and get a fill and work through it. That is what I am doing. Try not to get discouraged by other people's big losses - we are all different. These are the things I tell myself and maybe they can help you since we are in the same boat.

Wow! I empathize with your frustration, but perhaps you should just wait until you calm down and think this through. Your reaction sounds a bit childish. You sound like Veruca in "Willy Wonka and The chocolate Factory". "I want it Daddy! I want it now!" Did you gain all your weight in a month? I doubt it. Sometimes it seems like weight gain came on really fast, but losing it takes even longer. It's not like the band goes in and wham - the weight falls off. Your body hasn't even had a chance to finish healing, so even though it may not feel like it, you probably still have some swelling. You also have to work with your body (and your mind) to kick it into weight loss mode.

Whether you like it or not, the human body comes equipped with a strong survival instinct and will automatically kick into gear, slow it's metabolism if threatened with what it perceives to be starvation and/or injury. Your job is to give your metabolism a kick in the pants to get it going, eat healthy but fewer calories than you burn so you lose fat instead of muscle after you heal. You're not even far enough along to start a proper exercise regimen. Right now your body has been injured (surgery), or so it thinks and you've changed what it was used to consuming. Be patient, this takes work!

I hope for your sake that your insurance and doctor do not give in and remove your band this early in the game. I don't think you have had it long enough to know whether or not this will work for you. Perhaps you need to find a support person or group and take a look around on this forum so you can see what it takes to make this work for you. You may be right that this is not for you, but since you've come this far, what have you got to lose (no pun intended) by sticking it out a little longer?

This was an extremely appropriate video.

Ah yes. I recall my first meltdown! It was about 3.5 months after being banded and no weight loss for the last 3 months. I didn't want the band out but I remember being very disappointed and wondering WTF did I get this thing for. :lol:

So Betsy, don't be a Veruca, be a Charlie. Or, just be fat. Your choice.

BTW-Many, if not most of us, also experienced wild weight fluctuations the first few months until we became one with the band. Good luck with that insurance request.

tmf

WOW... You know the saying.... Walk a mile in my shoes???? I'm shocked by some of the ignorance in this "support" group so I will not address you further as you have clearly shown your lack of sympathy and empathy....

To the couple who sympathized and understand where frustration comes from, I thank you!!!!

I am a 37 yo mother of 5 one of whom we adopted 3 yrs ago. She is a most precious angel who by the grace of god has made it to see her 4th birthday when every Dr. Said she would NEVER see her first! She was born addicted to many drugs was in a drug induced coma for the first 8 months of life. She suffered a spinal cord injury in utero (from a failed abortion) which has caused her to be a quadraplegic and is the highest status one level in need of an intestinal transplant. We saw the love in her eyes and we adopted her. She has suffered NO brain injury (AMAZING) and she is so amazingly smart she uses a power wheelchair which she controls with her head and a computer that she controls with her eyes to talk and play games. She is trached and on a vent. I am her mother, her nurse and her advocate as well as being an advocate for special needs adoption. We fight along with her EVERY DAY while doing all of her IV's, blood draws daily needles and meds. So THIS IF YOU who felt the need to be cruel and mean to me on this site rather than compassionate and understanding, I pity you.

Yes I came across bitchy and but to KNOW ONE other than MYSELF.... I'm frustrated, im still in pain ( I had a Hiatel hernia so bad that they could not see my stomach at all cause it was inside my diaphragm and esophagus completely. My Dr. Has moved out of state and I now need to find a new one so FORGIVE ME for needing for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE some compassion and support....

If any of you kind ones who sympathize care to see my beautiful angel and see pics and videos of how aazing she is, you can go to her Facebook page called Saving Bella

I am the same as you. I was banded on 2/1 and I have lost 10 pounds in total. I have been up an down the same 2 pounds for 2 weeks. I understand the frustration (hell' date=' I feel it too) when you see people posting they lost 16 pounds in one week! BUT, I know I don't have a fill and I'm sure you don't either. You have to rely on will power and I have been eating about 1,500 cals and I haven't been exercising. I finally feel good enough to start moving and hopefully that will get the scale moving before I get my first fill. I know 1,500 cals is more than most people but I am hungry and have no restriction at all. I think you need to give it a chance and get a fill and work through it. That is what I am doing. Try not to get discouraged by other people's big losses - we are all different. These are the things I tell myself and maybe they can help you since we are in the same boat.[/quote']

Thank you! My dr last week said I should have lost at least 20 lbs by now... Ugh way to make me feel like a failure :(

While I am sure you have lots on your plate, we all do, posting about your daughter has nothing to do with your Lapband. I might be "cruel" but if you expect the weight to fall off because you take care of a disabled child you are dillusional, they have no relevance to each other. Part of a support group is offering advice, that is what everyone here did and you didn't like it.

I was banded 1/31 and its a struggle to eat well on the various stages and get to the gym 4 days a week with my own personal life challenges, family responsibilities etc... I didn't go and have my guts cut open an a strange object placed inside me and expect to be a size 2 tomorrow.

Sounds like you may need the help of a therapist to help you deal with your life stresses and how you deal with them and your weight.