Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days and counting

I'm set for march 6th and excited but mostly nervous about the long term effects. It's hard to find any info on people who have had their bands longer than 10 years and the stuff I find says 60% of patients needed to have their bands replaced because they (the bands) break down in the body......can ANYONE tell me something reassuring??????

I'm sure you're looking at the old study of the Allergan band from 94-97 and only includes 82 patients from the very beginning of it's inception. Here's a much more recent study that includes nearly 3000 patients using newer bands with better technology.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00464-009-0858-8

I'm going on 7 years with my band and everything is okay with mine! I guess it's just like everything else we purchase, you know ahead of time it may not last forever. Just like my refrigerator, it's over 10 years old, it looks like brand new, it runs like the first day I purchased it. However, I make sure I care for the stainless steel on the outside, I have it serviced regularly, and I have gotten my money's worth even if it would break down tomorrow(I'm knocking on wood). I guess you have to jump into it with some faith! If your information is correct I guess i am counting on being part of the 40%!

the first line of your post said this:

" several people who've had adjustable gastric bands or lap bands fitted, looking for a 'quick fix' weight loss program"

in my opinion, the ones who complain the loudest against are the ones who divert away from the band lifstyle. however things do happen. any surgery has complications. its a chance one takes. if i did not have this surgery, i would be over 400 pounds by now....

Della, I'm getting banded on the 6th also.

The way I look at it is my weight is putting my life in danger not to mention all the fun I'm missing out on because of the extra poundage.

I Live for today for now for this second, tomorrow I might get hit by a bus, who knows.

I'll deal with the band issues as they arrive.

Worrying about ten years from now just seems pointless to me.

What will you do if someone said, "yes they breakdown and bla bla bla..."

Are you going to postpone your surgery?

If the answer is yes then you might want to rethink the whole thing.

I'm not trying to be an @ss here just trying to help.

Della, I'm getting banded on the 6th also.

The way I look at it is my weight is putting my life in danger not to mention all the fun I'm missing out on because of the extra poundage.

I Live for today for now for this second, tomorrow I might get hit by a bus, who knows.

I'll deal with the band issues as they arrive.

Worrying about ten years from now just seems pointless to me.

What will you do if someone said, "yes they breakdown and bla bla bla..."

Are you going to postpone your surgery?

If the answer is yes then you might want to rethink the whole thing.

I'm not trying to be an @ss here just trying to help.

I have to agree. Who knows what my weight would balloon up to in 10 years....or what my insulin meds would be....or my blood pressure numbers. Or would I even see the next 10 years at a heavier weight.

I will take my chances with the "tool" of the band and the lifestyle changes I am making. I will cross the "shelf life" when I get there. Hopefully...when I get there...I will be thinner and healthier for whatever is thrown my way.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you guys. I'm going to have the surgery no matter what cause at 350 pounds and only 5'4 I'm in serious trouble. I guess I'm just looking for support cause my mom thinks its stupid and my husband thinks I just need postpone it till I don't feel so scared. I need people to tell me that I'm making the right choice.

Thank you guys. I'm going to have the surgery no matter what cause at 350 pounds and only 5'4 I'm in serious trouble. I guess I'm just looking for support cause my mom thinks its stupid and my husband thinks I just need postpone it till I don't feel so scared. I need people to tell me that I'm making the right choice.

only you can decide if it is the right choice. my bmi was 62...i was as wide as i am tall...i really didnt give a flyinfg f**k if anyone thought it was stupid...they were not the ones who was beginning to have trouble wiping their butt.

if you do this, do it 100%

if you dont, the only one it hurts is you.

Della, it is normal to feel scared about having a major surgery. Most do it and get into that stage right after you have the surgery.. what the hell did I just do?? it's normal. You are making this decision because you want a better life for yourself. You KNOW if changes don't be made you are indangering yourself way more than the band can ever do. It was the BEST decision I could have ever made for myself. I am not perfect in this but the results I've had thus far I am extremely happy with! and I couldn't have done it alone, without my tool. I tried like we all have, time and time again to only gain the weight we lost and then some.

My surgeon asked me why am I choosing the band over the gastric bypass, My answer was, because the bypass seems way to drastic for me! He looked at me in the eyes and said, No, your weight is drastic. I can deal with you answering , the bypass has more complications but DO NOT say it is drastic. The life you are living now and what you are doing to your body is drastic. Well, I was astonished, I said.. am I really that bad? I was in denial. I made my final decision right after that conversation because he was right... of course. hehe. Good luck to you.. you are making the right decison and you will do great!! it's not a magic pill but with hard work and determination you will get through it and feel AMAZING!.. get your freedom back girl!

If you had to have a pacemaker to save your life but were told that it does not last forever and that you would need further ops in the future to replace the batteries, replace with a newer model etc would that stop you going ahead?

I presume the answer is no?

So why should the lapband that is also going to improve your health/save your life be any different?

It's just hard for everyone around you to judge you for an "elective" surgery. If I needed a pacemaker, people would understand. The following article is one of many from a few doctored who seem anti lapband

http://center4research.org/child-teen-health/diet-weight-and-physical-activity/not-quite-everything-you-need-to-know-about-lap-bands/

It's just hard for everyone around you to judge you for an "elective" surgery. If I needed a pacemaker, people would understand. The following article is one of many from a few doctored who seem anti lapband

http://center4resear...bout-lap-bands/

-=

instead of reading articles and posting them on here, how about

asking your dr about your fears or concerns

if you cant get past that yeah some things happen, good and bad

then i dont know what else to say. my hub told me to woman up when i was

whining on my pre op..he said you wanted this so do what you have/need to do

i can post at least 60 pro band articles

but i dont...i am making it work..that decision is up to you

"elective" surgery???? My knee surgery was elective, my hysterectomy was elective, my back surgery was elective! Not sure what the point is? I never felt judged for having any of them including my lap-band!