Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

doctor wouldn't fill my band!

I asked my doctor to fill my band today he said absolutely not! He said I am small enough that I need to stop losing! That I just need to maintain! I told him I told him that I get hungry about a half hr to a hour later his reply drink a Protein shake! But I still want to lose 18more pounds

Two things, 1. without your profile filled in we have no way of knowing were you are at in the process, for all we know you could be 6 feet and weigh 90 pounds. 2. Listen to your Dr.

Idk how too

Click on your user name, upper right hand corner of the web page, choose "my profile", then choose "edit"

You have to go into "My patient profile" at the right top of the page.

My dr set my goal as a BMI of 27. I got to a BMI of 21 and he believed that it was too low and was mentioning unfilling a little. I actually made a concerted effort to gain weight after that and settled on a BMI of 23.

I'm now at a BMI of 27 again (due to a persistent leak) and my new dr has said that he doesn't want me to lose any weight, just not have to work so hard to maintain. He thinks my current weight is healthy for me (I'm a size 8 US now). I don't expect that he will continue to fill me to achieve weight loss, nor do I expect him to. But it is my intention that with a functioning band, that I will get enough of a boost to get back to a BMI of 23 again.

I guess what I'm saying is if your dr believes you've hit your ideal weight, and he's anything like my dr, he won't fill you again until it is obvious that you're really struggling to maintain the weight. If you want to lose more, it'll be up to you to do that.

Let's assume you're 20 lbs overweight since we don't know much about you? I know I'd have a real good sitdown with that doctor. Doctors are used to getting their way. They're sort of a God in their own office and rarely get challenged. You might have to be very aggressive with him or change doctors. Healthgrades is a company that rates doctors and if he's being a prick you can threaten him with bad reviews, not that that will persuade him. But, it's your body. If you're still overweight, he should listen.

And if you do edit your profile(and you should). It's much easier on a PC.

tmf

My doctors are wonderful would highly recommend them to anyone! My bmi is now 25.6 and once I get my plastics done I would be at my ideal weight for them I started out 387 lbs am now 168 at 5'8 surgery was 12/6/2011

My dr set my goal as a BMI of 27. I got to a BMI of 21 and he believed that it was too low and was mentioning unfilling a little. I actually made a concerted effort to gain weight after that and settled on a BMI of 23.

I'm now at a BMI of 27 again (due to a persistent leak) and my new dr has said that he doesn't want me to lose any weight' date=' just not have to work so hard to maintain. He thinks my current weight is healthy for me (I'm a size 8 US now). I don't expect that he will continue to fill me to achieve weight loss, nor do I expect him to. But it is my intention that with a functioning band, that I will get enough of a boost to get back to a BMI of 23 again.

I guess what I'm saying is if your dr believes you've hit your ideal weight, and he's anything like my dr, he won't fill you again until it is obvious that you're really struggling to maintain the weight. If you want to lose more, it'll be up to you to do that.[/quote']

How did u know u had a leak? Silly question can u feel the leak?

I kept losing restriction and kept reporting it to my dr. And when they took the Fluid out I'd lost fluid out of my band. I can't physically feel the leak but I feel it in that I can't hold any restriction.

150 lbs would be just fine I would think? A heart to heart, mind to mind sit down with your know it all doctor is in order.

I kept losing restriction and kept reporting it to my dr. And when they took the Fluid out I'd lost Fluid out of my band. I can't physically feel the leak but I feel it in that I can't hold any restriction.

How is the leak repaired? I guess in my mind I think of all kind of stuff happening and was thinking I would feel the leak. Lol

Depends on where the leak is. My dr believed that because it was a slow leak it was in my tubing and port. He fixed that the first time (and there was a visible leak in the tubing) and I am still leaking. So now he's assuming it could be anywhere so it will probably mean a whole band replacement.

I agree wholeheartedly with TMF

Your doctor might be ok with your weight because he's used to seeing morbidly obese patients on a daily basis, so to him you're skinny. But if you don't feel too great and you're able to lose a few pounds without being underweight, then you need to have a chat with him

That being said, congrats on your weight loss and being in a place that your doc doesnt want you losing any more weight! yay for you!

I am 5'8" too. My dr set my goal at 160. At my one anniversary I was 184 and he said he was good with that and he didn't car if I lost any more or not. It was my decision. That was 1/30/13. I am now 181.5 and I am not going to try yo get down to that. I figure 175 and then plastics will take care of the skin. I think everyone has to know where they feel comfortable. It is such a change for us. I was 330 and still see myself as a thin person. I am sure that will take time too.