Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No such thing as a stupid question?

To the ones that don't know this, I don't have the band yet. I've been reading everyone's comments on here, and everyone talks about eating right, having limits, and living with the band, following a strict diet. the whole reason I've decided to get banded is due to the fact that I can't follow a diet, and when it comes to food I always make bad decisions I've failed at all weight loss plans, and pills. So here's my question why I'm I doing this if I have to diet anyway?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

To the ones that don't know this' date=' I don't have the band yet. I've been reading everyone's comments on here, and everyone talks about eating right, having limits, and living with the band, following a strict diet. the whole reason I've decided to get banded is due to the fact that I can't follow a diet, and when it comes to food I always make bad decisions I've failed at all weight loss plans, and pills. So here's my question why I'm I doing this if I have to diet anyway?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

We are all like you or were like you. We now have a tool to help us get control for over eating. I had the band in July and it has really helped me. Good luck. The people on this site are very helpful with questions and concerns.

It is not a diet it is a lifestyle change. If you are not willing to change how and what you eat then no amount of WLS is going to work. Even if you lose weight at first you will gain it back if you continue eating as you do today. I would say think long and hard about what is important to you before you have lap band or anything else. I have not changed much of what I eat I have changed how much I eat and how I prepare some things. I also eat much slower and smaller bites. I am down 15 pounds in 21 days.

The truth is, if you honestly don't feel you can change your eating habits and make good food choices for a lifetime, then maybe the band isn't the right choice for you.

The band can't stop you from eating anything. It can't make you choose a Greek yogurt instead of ice cream. It can't make you stay within band sized portions nor can it stop you from eating around it. Then there's the fact most junk foods are slider foods. chips, ice cream, Cookies, and other processed stuff pretty much liquify when you eat it so it slides right through- which means you can eat a ton of it without physical discomfort.

The band is just a tool not a magic cure for fat. Nobody wants to diet, but the truth is, if you want to lose weight you have to change the way you're eating. That means restricting portions and calories. Some people do alright without counting calories but they are the exception not the rule. But even those that don't count calories still have to significantly reduce their calorie consumption and eat healthy. Otherwise, you won't lose.

What the band can and will do for you is help you to feel satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. But it will forever be up to you to eat healthy, small portions.

I'm not saying this to be harsh, I'm just trying to give you an honest answer. The band goes around your stomach not your brain. It can only help control your hunger not the decisions you make about what you eat.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

I couldn't have said it better than Missy. She explained exactly how it works. I don't believe in willpower, I work on want power.

I want to be healthy, so I want to eat the portion sizes and right foods to get me there.

Ask yourself, do you have the want power to do what you have to do?

and that goes for any WLS.

We all have issues with controlling food but what do you want more? Staying where you are or getting healthy? What is more important? What will happen if you don't get the sugery? You will stay miserable and continue to do just what you are doing. Commit yourself to being the best you can be.

i think you must (want) it bad enough (to lose weight aka lap band) to do everything you can to make it work. if you dont want it bad enough to follow the band (or other wls guidelines) you most likely wont be successful.

I don't look at it as a diet program. I was always hungry when I dieted. Now, I'm not and that's all on the band. Like it was said before, the band is a tool and only a tool. You can choose to use it or choose to ignore it.

tmf

I totally agree with all the above posters. You have to be willing to make the changes to lose the weight. I am 2 years out, plenty of fills and I still get hungry in between meals. But for the most part, I make the right choices and follow the rules. Had I not, I could still be eating all the chips and ice cream that I used to even with the band. That wouldn't mean that the band failed me, it would mean I failed the band.

Well.... you got to want it bad enough to make changes. I was scared to death to do it. Lets face it, I failed at every diet under the sun. I weighed 432 pounds, so it was obvious diets didn't work for me. I had an insatitable sweet tooth. Uff... was just out of control. I wanted to change my life bad enough that I was ready to commit to healthier eating habits. Do I ever eat ice cream, ya... but I'll opt for a greek yogurt 99% of the time. You might be suprised, I found it easier than I thought (altho... some people do not) Once you start eating healthy and losing weight it really motivates me to keep going. I get full on healthy foods and don't crave the crap (too much) anymore. I was standing in the line at the grocery store the other day and all that candy is right there. 2.5 years ago, there would have been candy on the conveyor belt. I was standing there thinking... jeeze if I could just have one which one would I pick???? I pondered it as I stood in line. The answer was none of them, they didn't even look good to me. I hadn't realized it to it's full extent yet until that moment but I have really gotten control over my "chocolate obsession". chocolate was my biggest concern when I started this. I can't even imagine eating a big full sized candy bar. No desire. That is a big big accomplishment for me. This was my experience, and not everybody works the same, but a lot of it is the want.... you got to want to change. The band helped me do that.

I wish you luck, it is a commitment but I don't feel deprived of one single thing, I eat yummy good for me food and enjoy every bite of it. (now, to lose my craving for cookies).

As other posters have mentioned, success with the band for weight loss I'd directly related to your willingness to follow the guidelines and your level of motivation for success.

We all have had reasons for choosing WLS. For me, I realized that my weight was slowly but steadily stealing my health, and I was on the glide path to a Type II diabetes diagnosis. WLS to me was an opportunity to regain my health, and to embrace a healthier lifestyle in the process.

It's now nearly a year since I had my band placed. This time has not been without medical challenges, but the band did not cause any of them. I will reach my first "bandiversary" short of achieving my goal weight, but on track to get there within the next year. This is not because of poor lifestyle choices, but rather physical limitations which limited my abilities to engage in exercise.

Overall, my band and my motivation to work with it through life style changes have, I sincerely believe, added years to my life, and enhanced the quality of my life beyond measure.

I would encourage you to do a deep self assessment and really get in touch with your motivations for considering this surgery. Too many people on this forum have shared their anger about a failed experience with their band. But many more have shared their successes. There is a wealth of valid information contained within the threads of the forum. Do some additional reading.

Assess what your level of motivation is. Are you being realistic with your expectations?

I had to delay having my band placed for over a year after completing my required 6 month supervised diet. I never gave up on my motivation, or my goal to regain my health. I have never looked back, and never had regrets for my decision to have this surgery.

Whatever you ultimately choose to do, best wishes...

I'd like to thank everyone for their great comments, everyone of you mad great points, and I would take all of them into consideration, the reason I failed at dieting I was never fully satisfied, but knowing that the band would give me that little help that I need gives me hope. Thank you all for the great advice! :)