Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much food?

I got the Lap Band in November. I've had two fills so far and I can still eat a large amount of food.. How much food are you supposed to be eating?? I am wondering if I need another fill.. I know everybody loses at a different pace but how much did you guys lose in the first 3 months?

When you say you "can eat a large amount of food" do you mean that a small portion doesn't keep you satiated inbetween meals? Or that you are physically capable of eating a large portion of food? Based on what I've learned so far - the band won't *stop* you from eating a large portion, and you can still eat a huge meal if you put your mind to it. The band just keeps you satisfied for longer on less food. :)

If you are still hungry inbetween meals and haven't felt that "restriction" yet - then I believe you are in what everyone around here has referred to as "Bandster Hell." And the only thing you can do is eat the reasonably sized portions you are *suppose* to be satisfied with and wait it out until you get a good fill. :/

I'm sure one of our experienced bandsters will be able to pipe in soon about their diet and weight loss! Good luck!

Are you working with a nutritionist?

12 first 4 months. Took 3 fills before I started to feel restriction.

BTW I can still eat a large amount of food if I eat around my band. Most of us can. Just stay away from slider foods.

My question is what are you eating? Once you are healed you should be eating solids. Please post some of your meals so we can see what you are consuming.

Yes bandster hell. Are you weighing out 3 oz Protein? If not you will over eat. This is a will power diet for now.

What were the instructions given to you from your surgeon and medical team? These need to be followed...and if you were not given any information about the size and preferred types of food for a healthy "Bandster" diet, I would contact them for that information.

At your stage, my meals consisted of 3oz lean Protein and 2 oz of a healthy non- starch Fiber carb.

I don't recall the amount of weight I lost during my first months post op. We are all individuals, and no two Bandsters will experience an identical journey.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

thank you everyone. sorry takes me so long to respond. i am new on here and still trying to figure it out. i typically use my phone but it's way easier on a computer. i am both. for example the other night i ate 2 pieces of pizzas with no problem. i took small bites and ate slow but i ate it no problem at all. When i wake up in morning i am hungry and ready to eat. i am still learning to prepare my food and plan ahead but i will eat a scrammabled egg and a piece of ham for breakfast(7:30am) and by 9:00am i ready for a snack and i'll have a Fiber bar. for lunch it depends but another example i can eat 2 full chicken strips and and i still snack a few hours later. after i get off work at 3:30 i am hungry and have a fiber bar then i get home around 4:30 and i am starving and i have dinner. the other night i had mashed potatoes and gravy with 4 pieces of chicken chunks. today i was out of town and had 2 pieces of french toast for Breakfast with a sausage link. i am working on eating more heathly but these are some examples of me being very surprised i can eat these things and still be hungry a few hours later. no i do not have nutritionist, i am a single girl with no insurance. money is tight so i just talk to the people in my town because several have gotten the lap band and my mom got it 5 years ago. She can nowhere eat what i am eating. she takes a few bites of her food and is full. i am still eating like i used to but just way slower with lots of chewing.. i bought a scale to start weighing out my food so i know exactly how much i am eating. i am learning new things all the time on what to do and what NOT to do..

I was where you are for 4 months. Bandster Hell is real and for some reason we all feel hungrier when we in BH. I was lucky though and seemed like the band did help me feel more satisfied with less food. And, I really turned to eating healthier which meant "No Pizza"!! So, I lost 12 lbs the first two weeks and then nada for the next 3.5 months. You seem to be athletic as I am too. I think my exercise routine helped me to lose the 50 lbs I lost the first 8 months.

BTW-Finally bought a high quality pizza for our wedding anniversary back in October. OMG it was sooooo good. :rolleyes:

hahaha... i am happy you found a good quality pizza... ;-) I am going for my 3rd fill next thursday. i got my first fill december 11th, my 2nd january 8 and going to have 3rd on the 21st. i am getting tired of going every damn month haha.. i just want to get my fills figured out so i can start my process.. each time i get better and better but i really think i am not at that happy amount yet. i read on here it takes multiple times to get to the right amount. i can hold up to 4cc and on my 1st fill she put in 1.3cc, my 2nd fill she put me up to 2.3cc she added 1 and who knows what she'll do for my next one.. i am hoping we will get it figured out. i have gotten the eating slow and small bites figured out now. i am really trying on eating more healthy.. hence no more pizza.. :-) i read earlier that you are supposed to be eating 3 oz of solids food and be satisfied for 4-5hrs.. that is def not me.. about how much do you eat.. do you measure it out or have you gotten past that phase.. i am a athletic person and i actually working out. i need to get back with it. i was doing my elliptical everyday for 30 min and was losing but i stopped this past week because been super busy and i gained back the 3 lbs i had lost. i am hoping this next fill will help with my limiting eating and keeping me full longer..

I've been able to eat too much for about 4 months now. I went in 2 weeks ago and got my 8th adjustment and I still need to go back for another. I was in the green zone at 6 fills but couldn't cope with the eating small, slow and chewing so I had some taken out. Bad idea. I thought I was eating right but now I know I wasn't. I eat OK now but I rely so much on exercise and here in Colorado it's too damn cold to bike right now so I'm just treading Water for another month.

I can eat a cup of food and feel satisfied for 2-3 hours. So, I snack on healthy stuff like apples, pears till my next meal.

i was throwing up all the time because i was eating to fast and too big of bites. i have gotten that figured out now. i haven't thrown up in quite awhile. i'd take a too big of bite and then i'd be stuck and here it came. i am excited to get my next fill. hopefully i will start seeing some results. i've been the same for over a month now. i just thought it would be a easier process and it'd come off faster than it is. i know it's not going to fall off over night but i figured i'd see more results than i have. i like in oregon and it always rains here so going running is a hit and miss here. i have a elliptical and a weight bench so i try to do those and i also like playing on the wii and xbox.. doing the dancing games and zumba. i also do ab exercises on the floor. i need to get into a routine so i do it more often.

Hey,

I was banded in November and I feel you I am eating more than a cup of food but I am REALLY trying not to its so hard. I have lost 35 pounds so far but that has been will power I am not feeling the band doing its job yet but I know that will come soon as I am very close. With each fill I am feeling a little difference. I have 6ml in a 10ml band and I work out 5 days a week. I have not been sick or PB'ed yet I am surprised you have been throwing up...was it just too big a bite? Good luck with your journey. We can do this!

You must do some exercise in your diet. You need some form of at least walking each day or every other day/. Sip plenty of Water, helps you stay full. Do liquid Protein, SF Jello cups between meals. It will help you make wiser choices in your foods.

Best wishes

As this surgery involves a life style change, along with having an awesome tool to use for weight loss, I believe that there is no time like now to begin to change your relationship with food and adopt the guidelines designed for a healthy weight loss journey.

Though initially I could easily eat much more than I knew I was supposed to have, I chose not to as in the long run not having healthier habits in place would work against me. I did go through the notorious "Bandster Hell", and I used that time to get into the habit of making certain to drink all of the sf/ff fluids I was supposed to have daily. As is commonly written on the forum-just because you can eat more doesn't mean that you should.

We do have to figure out through trial and error what best practices are going to work for each of us, and understand that this weight loss journey is a process and not an event.

I did discuss with my surgeon the "green zone" which is also often referred to. He shared that not everyone will get to that "zone", and will power will have to be in place to manage hunger. I still get hungry between meals, and I still use Water as a means to tide me over to the next appropriate mealtime. It is just habit and second nature to me now.

Best wishes...