Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feelings after being banded

So today is day three after being banded. I had major gas gains yesterday and was in a lot of pain. Had to ask my surgeon with something stronger than Tylenol with codeine. My port seems a lot higher than others. It is located almost the middle of my stomach . Doesn't anyone else have the procedure done the same way?

My feelings range from "why did I do this to myself?", "is it worth or?", to "let's drop the weight and keep moving"....

I am sure the "what did I do to myself" crossed my mind the first day! It's common when we are in pain and not feeling well.

I also had the "what in the hell did I just do moment" the next day. Only because I can't believe I just had surgery to place a foreign object in my body. But I dismissed it and figured I was going to work this band/lifestyle like a rock star! Don't sweat it. However, I have to say the walking and the heating pad were my lifesavers!!! I read about that pre-surgery on the boards here and it helped so much. I couldn't find the Gas X strips here because apparently everyone in the suburban Chicago area must have a major gas problem. Couldn't find the strips to save my life, but turns out I was just fine without them.

I hate to say this, but the Tylenol with Codeine will not help the gas pains. It tends to block you up and cause more intestinal pain. Try dropping the codeine. Add some benefiber or Miralax to move the bowels along. The pain pill wreak havoc with the intestinal system and slow it down. You surgery pains should be manageable with just tylenol by now and walking, sipping, swinging your arms around, heating pad on upper back will help the gas. Mostly the walking part. I don't want to to think I don't believe you are having pain, but experience shows the gas is from a different source. Best wishes.

So today is day three after being banded. I had major gas gains yesterday and was in a lot of pain. Had to ask my surgeon with something stronger than Tylenol with codeine. My port seems a lot higher than others. It is located almost the middle of my stomach . Doesn't anyone else have the procedure done the same way?

My feelings range from "why did I do this to myself?"' date=' "is it worth or?", to "let's drop the weight and keep moving"....[/quote']

Wow... You sound like me. I was banded on Feb 7. I too am like ...what the hell did I do to myself? Everyone I know who got the band lost 50-70 pounds but I see there still fat. A few days b4 surgery I weighed 288. Today makes 4 days after surgery and im weighing 275. I think to myself ...oh course I could of lost this weight by drinking pure liquids. I didn't have to put myself through all this pain. Ya and the liquid Tylenol does not help this gas. I can't wait to start eating solids which my doc said 6 weeks. Oh well ...too late now! I can't redo the surgery so I am going to make the best out of it....even if i loose 50 pounds answer still am fat in the end. At least that would be alot of weight that i couldn't have lost myself. It will get better for all of us but we must stick to the game plan. In the meantime ... Im in lots of pain.

I just had a small emotional crying session. I just asked the same "what did I do!" I guess I'm forced to deal with the absence of food, the weird sore feeling in my stomach and gas pains. I really hope it gets better. Ugh

you get through this and the worst is over! Believe me, I would do this all over in a heartbeat! Sure, I could have lost some of it on my own, but I can tell you it wouldn't have lasted and I would have ended up even heavier than when I started. My advice though is to weigh and measure everything you eat and log it daily. You will have bumps along the way, we all have, but if you follow the rules of the band you should do well.

Wow... You sound like me. I was banded on Feb 7. I too am like ...what the hell did I do to myself? Everyone I know who got the band lost 50-70 pounds but I see there still fat. A few days b4 surgery I weighed 288. Today makes 4 days after surgery and im weighing 275. I think to myself ...oh course I could of lost this weight by drinking pure liquids. I didn't have to put myself through all this pain. Ya and the liquid Tylenol does not help this gas. I can't wait to start eating solids which my doc said 6 weeks. Oh well ...too late now! I can't redo the surgery so I am going to make the best out of it....even if i loose 50 pounds answer still am fat in the end. At least that would be alot of weight that i couldn't have lost myself. It will get better for all of us but we must stick to the game plan. In the meantime ... Im in lots of pain.

Like.so many others have said: the band is a tool, not a magic wand. People get out of it what they put in. Just because others are still fat with the band doesn't mean that is how it has to be.

Remember that pain makes everyone emotional and if you are taking pain pills they can make you feel down and sad. I got banded the 5th and on the 7th totally had emotional break down. It was the pain.

I'm 4 days post op and I've been an emotional wreck! I have felt everything you have, so don't worry you're not alone. I think our bodies and minds are going through withdrawals right now and any all all emotions are totally expected, acceptable, and completely justified. Don't let the struggle blur your focus of your goal. Stay positive! The harder the struggle the more worth it in the end. The struggles are character defining moments in your journey. You can do this! Utilize these boards endlessly! Venting and knowing you have support are crucial! Best of luck and stay strong! I believe in you!!

If I didn't have this app I would of been soooooo lost! Thanks for helping everyone!

If I didn't have this app I would of been soooooo lost! Thanks for helping everyone!

Yes this app is great. It gives you a chance to talk about your experience and vent. It's nice to know that others think your thoughts and your not crazy. Lol

Just stay positive and remember it will get better :)