Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes after Surgery

Hi everyone! I am three weeks post-op and I average about 500 - 800 calories a day (mostly lean meats and vegtables). I have lost 38 lbs from my highest weight back in June of last year, 21 lbs of that being from pre-op diet and a few post-op. I get a few carbs thru the day as directed from my NUT (about 100 -125 grams). I am getting about 60 grams of Protein a day. They reccomended 60 -80 grams.

I wondering if any one else supplements with Protein Shakes still post surgery. My NUT wanted me to get away from the shakes all together, but I have not lost any weight for a week and half now. Does anyone with more experience with the band have any thoughts?

Thanks

Becky :)

I think your logic is flawed. You haven't lost weight thus you need more shakes. Shakes are not special. The band is meant to work with solid food esp. Protein. My doctor says if I can't get my protein (solid) in I'm too tight. Most doctors say if you rely on liquids you will gain weight since they tend to be higher in cals.

I am over three years post op and I do not use Protein Shakes and get in 90 grams of Protein a day. The important part of the band is learning to eat with it. shakes are just liquid calories that frankly do not keep you full. You need good solid protein instead of shakes. Shakes are good after a fill, if you are rigorously working out and need it after a work out but I dont agree with surviving on protein shakes after being banded. If you eat 3 more ounces of meat say you would get another 22 grams of protein in without resorting to shakes.

I don't think the OP was talking about living on shakes at all, just as a supplement to increase her Protein intake.

And btw, they most certainly can be filling, liquid or not. I have one with 20g of Protein every morning around 7:30am and am not at all hungry until around noon.

There is no right or wrong way. It's a matter of what works for each individual person.

You are going to get at least a 100 different answers about this...

Trial and error is how we learn what our bodies need for nurishment, to stay healthy, and to lose weight. In 'my' personal experience, I never drank Protein drinks, however I am not getting my recommended daily calories in and wanted to 'up' my Protein. Through experimenting I found I needed the Protein Drink daily. I continue to lose steady with drinking a protein shake every day, it does NO harm what so ever to me, I am just about making my daily caloric quota and deff. getting in all the protein my body needs.

There are protein shakes out there you can find that are only 110-160 calories, 1 gram fat, 4 grams of carbs, and 25 grams protein in each scoop. Walmart has a 2lb tub for only $19.99 (chocolate frosty), Its pretty tasty and very affordable.

*** DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU***

The choice is basically up to you and your doctor. If he/she feels you need them then so be it if not then so be that too. From the mayo Clinic: Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Manufacturers of Protein Shakes may claim that their products help decrease body fat or promote weight loss, but Protein shakes aren't a magic bullet for weight loss.

Replacing certain meals with protein shakes may help you reduce your daily calories, which can help you lose weight. If you rely on protein shakes to replace regular meals, however, you'll miss out on the nutritional benefits of whole foods. And since protein contains calories, consuming too much protein can actually make losing weight more difficult — especially if you drink protein shakes in addition to your usual diet.

The average adult needs 46 to 56 grams of protein a day, depending on weight and overall health. As long as you're eating a healthy diet, adding extra protein — either through protein shakes or other sources — isn't necessary.

Remember, the key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. Choose healthy foods — such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein — and include physical activity in your daily routine.

I usually drink a Protein Drink everyday, I'm not that hungry in the morning, but I need to take my Vitamins and the Protein drink keeps me from getting nauseated from taking the pills and gets something in my system to start the day. Then I eat a snack between breakfast and lunch which is more of a food like yogurt or whatever I end up taking with me to work. It's easily portable and my NUT was okay with it and it works for me.

If I'm on the go in the mornings, I have a muscle milk LIGHT chocolate flavor, and if keeps me satisfied until lunch. Just find one that works for you and count the calories.

i have a shake every morning (like knowing i got a good bit on my protein) mine is 28 grams a scoop plus my ff milk..i drink it bc i like the taste and i am not hungry in the am.

on my pre and post op, i put in freezer til slush..ole girl had her own wendys frosty..

my dr and nut are fine with it..like patts says, do what works for you...like with all things, things vary per person

I am not replacing a meal with it, just supplementing to boost my Protein intake. I keep reading where more protein can sometimes help boost weight loss.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Everyone is different. Work with tour NUT to do what is good for you. My NUT says no Liquid Protein. If I am not hungry in the morning, I take my meds with Water and drink a half a cup of lite Silk choc soy milk or a small can of V-8. Some days it is a piece of celery with Peanut Butter. It is funny that breakfast used to be my favorite meal before WLS, now not so much. I rarely have breakfast! You have to find what works for you.