Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Stays off.. New Study

This was posted by my nutritionist in one of support groups.

Study was done in Australia where they have done way more surgeries.

Weight stays off long after lap band surgery

Posted By Emily Walker-Monash On January 21, 2013 @ 11:39 am In Health & Medicine | No Comments

MONASH U. (AUS) — Gastric banding is safe and effective for managing obesity long-term, according to a study of patients 10 to 15 years after their surgeries.

The study, the longest and most comprehensive yet reported, appears in the Annals of Surgery [1], and finds a significant number of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (lap banding) patients maintained an average weight loss of 26 kilograms for more than a decade after their procedure.

Straight from the Source

Read the original study [1]

DOI: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827b6c02

Researchers analyzed the results in 3,227 patients who had gastric banding surgery in Australia between 1994, when the procedure was first introduced, and 2011. The patients in the study were averaged at 47 years-of-age and 78 percent were women.

Of those patients, 714 had surgery at least 10 years ago and, on average, had maintained a weight loss of 26 kilograms, or almost half of their excess weight.

The weight loss results were similar for the 54 patients in the study who had undergone treatment at least 15 years ago.

“These results show that when you have a significant problem with obesity, a long-term solution is available,” says Professor Paul O’Brien of the Centre for Obesity Research and Education at Monash University in Melbourne.

“This surgery is safe and effective, and it has lasting benefits. Substantial weight loss can change the lives of people who are obese—they can be healthier and live longer.”

O’Brien says there are also important ramifications for the control of type 2 diabetes, which was strongly associated with being overweight.

“In obese patients with type 2 diabetes, weight loss after gastric banding can lead to effective control of blood sugar levels without the need for medication in about three-quarters of cases,” O’Brien says.

The patients included in the study had followed the rules of their treating team regarding eating, exercise, and activity and committed to returning permanently to the aftercare program.

All the surgery was performed by O’Brien, an international pioneer of the technique, and Associate Professor Wendy Brown, President of the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand.

There were no deaths associated with the surgery or with any later operations that were needed in about half of the patients. About one in 20 patients had the band removed during the study period.

“In treating a chronic disease such as obesity over a lifetime, it is likely that something will need to be corrected at some time in some patients,” says O’Brien.

“The study shows a marked reduction of revisional procedures with the introduction of the new version of the Lap-Band 6 years ago. Importantly, those who had revisional surgery lost as much weight in the long term as those who did not need it.”

The report also included a comparison of gastric banding—which can be done as a day-surgery procedure—and more invasive types of weight-loss surgery such as gastric bypass that are high risk and require longer hospital stay. The weight loss with gastric banding, and the need for future revisional surgery, was similar to that with gastric bypass.

after reading this, one thing stood out to me

and i know it to be true

how do i know? because it happening to me right now

“ Substantial weight loss can change the lives of people who are obese"

Thanks for sharing, very informative.

I'm 2 years in since surgery, and have been at my goal for a year now.......

I often winder how I could possibly gain the weight back....I did not do this on my own

The very thing that caused me to loose the weight, is still there with the same adjustment......

The way I figure it, something would have to happen to the band, say a medical emergency or something where I would have to get a unfill allowing me to overeat again.

Otherwise I cannot understanding it happening to me....

I know there are many people who post here stating how they gained much/most of their weight back....and I do not doubt them....but I also wonder what percentage was their effort

and what percentage was the band doing the work....

In my case, it's 90% band....

I have been banded for 25 months and maintaining just a few months so am in now way a success at maintaining but based on how the last. 2 months have gone I can see how easy it will be to live with the band.... Nice to see a positive article on long term effects...thanks for posting

I thanked him profusely for posting that to my other support group. Its with my surgeon's office. I looked and looked for a long term study but could never find one that had up to date info on it. I am so glad they published this.

The people that conducted this study is my aftercare team and Professor O'Brien was my surgeon, I'm so great full for them all and even more grateful I'm always getting the most up to date info from my centre.

I'm 2 years in since surgery' date=' and have been at my goal for a year now.......

I often winder how I could possibly gain the weight back....I did not do this on my own

The very thing that caused me to loose the weight, is still there with the same adjustment......

The way I figure it, something would have to happen to the band, say a medical emergency or something where I would have to get a unfill allowing me to overeat again.

Otherwise I cannot understanding it happening to me....

I know there are many people who post here stating how they gained much/most of their weight back....and I do not doubt them....but I also wonder what percentage was their effort

and what percentage was the band doing the work....

In my case, it's 90% band....[/quote']

I so get you B52, I may not be at 90% with my band at this stage of my journey but where I am at my band does the majority of the work for me. I was really good with all my rules and choices till the new year then I relaxed for a few weeks whilst on holiday and even though I didn't make the best choices there was no way I could possibly eat too much more, my band stopped me and I still lost weight. I keep my fingers crossed I don't develop any complications down the track and that my band will keep my weight off because in my heart and soul I know I can never go back to where I got too with my weight and never want to.

I guess everybody is different. I am starting my 5th year banded and to goal. I am getting my Christmas 5 pound margin off and love life. I have no fills and feel the band stops me from overeating and I still do not eat bread or sugar whenever possible. I try to eat healthy and still measure my food. This works for you if you have a goal and dream set in your mind. I never felt better in my life and I just turned 60 and was told the other day I did not look over 45. What a great feeling. It is there for you, just take it and don't let it go. I have varied the rules to fit in my lifestyle and it works for me.

Great article. Thanks for posting this.

This was posted by my nutritionist in one of support groups.

Study was done in Australia where they have done way more surgeries.

Weight stays off long after lap band surgery

Posted By Emily Walker-Monash On January 21' date=' 2013 @ 11:39 am In Health & Medicine | No Comments

MONASH U. (AUS) — Gastric banding is safe and effective for managing obesity long-term, according to a study of patients 10 to 15 years after their surgeries.

The study, the longest and most comprehensive yet reported, appears in the Annals of Surgery [1'], and finds a significant number of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (lap banding) patients maintained an average weight loss of 26 kilograms for more than a decade after their procedure.

Straight from the Source

Read the original study [1]

DOI: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827b6c02

Researchers analyzed the results in 3,227 patients who had gastric banding surgery in Australia between 1994, when the procedure was first introduced, and 2011. The patients in the study were averaged at 47 years-of-age and 78 percent were women.

Of those patients, 714 had surgery at least 10 years ago and, on average, had maintained a weight loss of 26 kilograms, or almost half of their excess weight.

The weight loss results were similar for the 54 patients in the study who had undergone treatment at least 15 years ago.

“These results show that when you have a significant problem with obesity, a long-term solution is available,” says Professor Paul O’Brien of the Centre for Obesity Research and Education at Monash University in Melbourne.

“This surgery is safe and effective, and it has lasting benefits. Substantial weight loss can change the lives of people who are obese—they can be healthier and live longer.”

O’Brien says there are also important ramifications for the control of type 2 diabetes, which was strongly associated with being overweight.

“In obese patients with type 2 diabetes, weight loss after gastric banding can lead to effective control of blood sugar levels without the need for medication in about three-quarters of cases,” O’Brien says.

The patients included in the study had followed the rules of their treating team regarding eating, exercise, and activity and committed to returning permanently to the aftercare program.

All the surgery was performed by O’Brien, an international pioneer of the technique, and Associate Professor Wendy Brown, President of the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand.

There were no deaths associated with the surgery or with any later operations that were needed in about half of the patients. About one in 20 patients had the band removed during the study period.

“In treating a chronic disease such as obesity over a lifetime, it is likely that something will need to be corrected at some time in some patients,” says O’Brien.

“The study shows a marked reduction of revisional procedures with the introduction of the new version of the Lap-Band 6 years ago. Importantly, those who had revisional surgery lost as much weight in the long term as those who did not need it.”

The report also included a comparison of gastric banding—which can be done as a day-surgery procedure—and more invasive types of weight-loss surgery such as gastric bypass that are high risk and require longer hospital stay. The weight loss with gastric banding, and the need for future revisional surgery, was similar to that with gastric bypass.

Thank you so much for sharing. This really helps with process and knowing I made the right choice!!! 4 days post-op!!

Thank you so much for sharing. This really helps with process and knowing I made the right choice!!! 4 days post-op!!

I am two weeks post op! Congrats on getting the band. You will feel better soon and boy when you see that weight start to come off you are going to be jumping for joy. I am so happy I did this. I wigged myself out the week before my surgery so whenever I see anything like this I am so grateful.