Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lapband Horror Story

I beleive it is truly an evil contraption and I expect to see it pulled from the market in a few years. I think the number of patients with problems from it is higher than the 40 something %, base on the forums on the web where people talk about it.

On to my story...I was banded 3 years ago. I won't bore you with all the medical probs it has caused, but during my research to find out what some of medical issues were, I came across the following shocking information--

Sometimes during the lapband surgery the vagus nerve gets damaged OR even worse some drs actually go on and wrap the Vagus nerve around the lapband in order to help curb hunger. This fact was NOT disclosed to me ahead of time. The Vagus nerve is a main nerve that runs down through your ears, thru your heart, your stomach and other major parts of the body.

I was having all these symptoms in those areas and more, loss of hearing, AFIB (which I wound up having some major heart surgery for), extreme stomach pain and so forth. A very LARGE number of lapband patients develop AFIB. Also had to have my gall bladder removed after banding, again, another high percent of banded patients have this prob.

Fast forward 3 years, so much pain, so many problems, yet all tests show my lapband is perfectly in place, not twisted, not eroded, etc etc. THEREFORE, insurance won't pay for its removal as of now! There is no test to prove the Vagus nerve is damaged. So there is nothing on paper to prove my theory that the Vagus nerve is damaged, and thus causing all my probs.

Next major problem with the lapband: I didnt go with gastric bypass because I didnt want to be on B12 shots the rest of my life ( a known prob with gastic bypass). But now, guess what? I am Vit b12 deficient. (also not told that this was a possible side effect with the band)

Third major problem: (was not told this ahead of time either) weight gain is guaranteed if you DRINK liquids with your meals, had I been told this I would have never gotten it because I know I drink with nearly every bite I eat. I knew there would be diet changes, etc, but not this!

And yes, I DID do my pre-surgery research for over a year, and used a highly reccomended surgeon in my area, but without ALL the info fo what all can go wrong, as well as all the failures and removals of the lapband after banding, how was I to make a REALLY informed decision? I would NOT reccomend this procedure to anyone.

You seem really ignorant. Do yourself a favor and do more research. Either that or stop trolling......

You seem really ignorant. Do yourself a favor and do more research. Either that or stop trolling......

THANK YOU........

I can't see how you can blame a product (i.e. evil contraption) when it sounds like it was medical malpractice on your doctor's part. You can have a IUD put in wrong or any product and if the doctor makes error, you can't blame the product.

P.S. If you really did your research like you said, um.... you would have known that the lapband doesn't work with liquids. lol That's pretty basic stuff that you didn't know from your research. (Your quote "Third major problem: (was not told this ahead of time either) weight gain is guaranteed if you DRINK liquids with your meals")

Holy Crap! Is that the way you treat new members here? The forum is called "lapband Complications" and that is what I posted! I HAVE doem my research over and over again, specifically about the Vegus Nerve. It wasnt neccessary to be so rude!

very sorry all this happened to you.

but for me right now, i am most pleased with the band.

my dr advised me prior to surgery of the pros and cons

and especially about things that could happen and made me aware.

so there was no oh my gosh, why did this happen BS.

i accept you hate the band and can understand that.

but if anyone struggling with having recent surgery or about to have surgery, i feel you are doing a disservice to them. preaching horror does no one any good. not even yourself.

i do recommend you visiting another site called OH com as they have alot of people just like you who also want this so called vile band out of them. i am positive you will fit in nicely.

PS: odd that you had the band for 3+ yrs, and your first post on this forum is a horror story. granted bad things do happen, but not always. and like me, you chose to have the band. so you can choose to have it removed.

It is too bad you had all these complications but what sticks out if is that you say you didn't know not to drink with your meals. That is one of the first things I learned when doing the research for my band and certainly one of the first things my dr told me. It's too bad you missed that in your Quest for information pre banding.

Thank you for sharing your story. As with anything the band isnt for everyone. I hope you find the help you need.

You are spreading misinformatiion I believe. How about some links to back up your claims?

That would be nice, huh!!!

I believe that person is from OH already.

I am also sorry that happened to you but some of the things you say in your post just out right flag it as fishy. First of all.. you are not supposed to drink with your meals with ANY WLS. The band is the safest WLS surgery currently available and that is a fact supported by research. Had you done any research at all you would have known that without a doctor having to tell you.

I am sorry you were not told of complications before your surgery but I find that hard to believe unless your doctor is just really a shady doctor. My doctor actually offers the B12 shot as regular follow up with fills. Malnutrition is not a side affect of Lapband. It is a known side affect of some other surgeries.

Being in the healthcare industry, lapband DOES NOT cause AFIB. There were so many untrue things in your post it is hard to narrow them down.

You have the right to say what you like but its not right to try to scare people with "Horror Stories". Lapband is a tool. It is an inanimate object without the ability to be good or evil. That was just silly.

First, your facts aren't facts at all. Either you're seriously misinformed or a troll, I don't know which.

40% of Lap Bands don't have complications. Current studies the rate of Lap Band complications that are by no fault of the patient are 8%-12%. The rest of them are because the patient didn't do what they were supposed to do.... like for instance... not drink while eating.

As far as your Vagus nerve, it's true that in rare instances it can be damaged by the Lap Band. Pressing on the Vagus nerve is one of the way the band suppresses the appetite and stops the brain from sending hunger signals out as often. However, if you had damage to the extent you claim, then you have the worlds most incompetent and idiotic doctors on the planet. No one "mistakenly" has heart surgery because of band complications.

so sorry you have health problems but I love my band. Many people who cant follow the diet rules blame the band for their lack of weight loss cant happen. This is a support group and you have no support to offer. I hope you find what you are looking for mentally and physically..good luck to you

I believe that person is from OH already.

I was just thinking that myself...