Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the afternoon of your surgery like?

My husband and I are trying to figure out some childcare logistics. I am assuming I will likely want to sleep (I am spending 1 night in the hospital) so our thought is it's fine for him to pick the kids up after school and maybe bring them by after an early dinner to say goodnight (hospital is only 10 minutes from home).

Wondering what your afternoon looked like.

What time is your surgery? Personally I think unless they are teenagers, seeing you drugged up and in pain will be VERY traumatic. I did not enjoy sitting with my mother after her surgeries and I was 40!

My children are 3 and 6, my 6 year old came to see me after i had a c-section with my younger daughter. I don't think this would be traumatic for them, I haven't been told I will be anything other than comfortably medicated and with no visible injuries.

My surgery is at either 7:30am or 9am, I am awaiting confirmation.

My night in the hospital I was in and out of the toilet ALL night. I would not have wanted company. Personally I would have their first sight of me be the next day, fully dressed and coherent.

I think your kids will do just fine coming to see you! I came out of the anesthesia at 2pm and did nit go back to sleep until after midnight. Then I was up all night walking around to expel gas. You'll be fine!

I had surgery at 9 in the morning and I was home in my bed by noon the same day! I was totally fine and my son was all excited to come and see me in my bedroom when he got home from school!

My daughter is actually excited to get Jello at the hospital, she remembers that well from when her sister was born.

I had my surgery at 1:30pm and had to spend the night in the hospital, by that evening I was walking the halls, so I think your kids will be fine. They can take mommy for a walk.

This will not be as traumatic as a c-section.

Good Luck and keep us updated!

I had my surgery at 8am and was home laying on the deck in the sun at noon. I had my headphones on and was pretty loopy. I did not nap that day, but could do nothing more than move from sofa to chair to washroom to back again. Everyone is different.........

I was the first case when I had mine. I had to be at the surgery center by 6:30. I think my husband said they took me away around 7:30 and the doctor came to speak to him shortly after 8:00. It takes about an hour to drive and I think I was home by noon or so. It's kind of a blur, so I don't remember exactly. Another friend of mine was supposed to be there by 9:30, didn't get taken back until 11:00 and didn't get home until 5:00. I don't think she has to drive as far as I do, but not sure.

I was first case at 7:30 AM. I am highly sensitive to many meds and especially anesthesia. I left the surgery center around noon and immediately fell asleep sitting up in bed (which I can never do) and slept totally passed out until around 10PM. Didn't even know my mom had come to check on me and didn't feel her touch my face!

I was first case at 7:30 AM. I am highly sensitive to many meds and especially anesthesia. I left the surgery center around noon and immediately fell asleep sitting up in bed (which I can never do) and slept totally passed out until around 10PM. Didn't even know my mom had come to check on me and didn't feel her touch my face!

My surgery was at 1230 and I was in my room by 245p... They had me walking the halls by 330 and was released to go home at 730p.. I slept all the way home ...45 min drive and then walked around the house for a bit, drank some apple juice and was back in bed by 9p for the night.

You know your kids and I am sure them visiting you would be fine. They can take you on a walk.

My surgery was early in the morning. It was quick and I was out of there quickly. One thing i would like to mention is that recovery was no cakewalk for me. I thought it was harder than my csection. I shuffled and had pain for days - I know some people do much better than me so everyone is different. I mention this only because my sister -who is a medical person- warned me to get help and I am so glad she did. I thought it was minor but it was hard for the first 3 days. A week later I had a house guest and they never knew but it was still a little rough.

Incidently, it was totally, completely worth it. I got over it and now I am fine and I wish I had done it years early. You are wise for doing it now and not waiting.