Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else worry they will fail with the band?

I have been trying to lose weight since I was 5 years old, I have obviously failed at everything else or I wouldn't be this big and scheduling surgery. I am just worried that since many of my issues are mental (and I do see a therapist for them) that I could somehow fail at the band and then once again I will hear "Why can't you just lose weight with the band, everyone else does"/

big ~hugs~ I think we all worryed / worry about failing....

Its normal...but for me the band is always a reminder

Its so not like a diet...you do good...You get tired of it...so you give up....with the band you can not just give up....well you can if yu start eatting chips ice cream ...but if your eatting healthy...and Protein first eaach meal...the band will help you...good luck...were all here for support hun

I am in the same boat as you - having lost 60 to 80 + lbs over and over again...... And yes many of my eating issues are mental too.......I am hoping that it's normal to fear that there will be failure - it's a natural thing to fear when I have failed so many times before. The difference is, I am determined to have this work and to be the confident and happy woman I know that I am!

Good luck and wish you all the best!

:)

first off hugs to you. I to take meds to help with the meantal issues over the years but it never helped me loss all the weight. I was banded in aug 2012 and have loss 44 lbs and I an not hungry. I cleaned out my house before surgery and told everyone do not bring junk into the house. I do very well eating the same thing daily so I make a large pot of veggie Soup (very little broth) and that is filling. you can do this and we are all here to help...come into the chat room every day someone is always in there to help.

At first I did worrying but when I've started to lose than that did worry any more, my prayers are with you and good luck with you wls.

I was very worried. I started over 400 pounds and in horrible health so I knew losing weight was crucial so I didn't die way too young of obesity related diseases. But, like you, I had never successfully lost and kept it off. I was terrified of failing.

What finally convinced me "hey, I can totally do this!" was seeing the numbers go down. I have counted calories and stuck to a cup or less of food per meal since the day I got home from the hospital- and it's definitely worked. As I watched my weight drop (and clothes literally fall off! LOL!) my courage and self confidence increased.

I no longer worry I'll fail. I know I'll lose all this weight. I've lost 175 pounds in less than a year. I still have a ways to go, but I know over time I'll lose the rest too.

Best wishes to you.

What your talking about is head hunger and we all have it. It's all about putting your head in the right frame of mind. It's hard work and you can do it. If you mess up one meal no worries try the next time. You can do this and we are all here for support.

Follow the rules your dr gives. Always ask questions.

Good luck

Wendy

I have been trying to lose weight since I was 5 years old, I have obviously failed at everything else or I wouldn't be this big and scheduling surgery. I am just worried that since many of my issues are mental (and I do see a therapist for them) that I could somehow fail at the band and then once again I will hear "Why can't you just lose weight with the band, everyone else does"/

we are our own worst enemy..because we failed diets in the pat, we pretty much doom ourselves in every thing we do...so we seek help and get the lap band...i think if you (or me or whomever) follow the dr's instructions and dig down deep inside and give the band a chance, you will not fail...i started at 336...i could hardly walk and cleaning myself was getting hard....i was desperate...it was either get bigger or take a chance...look at me now 6 months later...

it can be done..but you have to want it and i think you do.

i promise you will never hear me say why cant you lose weight. but you

will hear me say i am here for you if and when you need me...i so understand.

It's my biggest fear!

My biggest fear, too! Like you, I've failed so many times before--- each time thinking this is gonna be it--- have some success and then fall "off the wagon" again and be right back where I started or worse! I'm trying to approach this with the best possible attitude! Good luck to you!

I think it's the majority of us pre banders think that. I mean we're all use to failing. And we're going into this without a guarantee that it will work. In my opinion... No weight loss surgery is going to work if we don't change our lifestyle. If we continue to put the same crap in our mouths we can't expect different results. Eventually the weight will come back.

I think we just have to look at the lapband as a tool to help us stay on track. It's just a tool, (a very expensive one). Most weight gain or loss is a mental effort. If your addicted to food, as I am and I'm sure many others then that's an addiction that you have to break.... Mentally.

I'm going with the lap band because I feel it's a tool that will help me stay on track. As many others too. I've lost the weight before and know what it takes. Deep down under all this fat there is a fit person that loves being at the gym.. And looks at food as energy. I think we all can change to that..

Sorry for the rant... This is just a question I've been battling personally as well

I did, but was able to lose my 100 lbs. You can do it, if you want to. Use your tool properly!

Happy New Year!!!

I have to be honest... I never thought I would fail.... deciding to get banded was a huge drastic step for me to take and I was committed to doing everything and anything in order to be successful. I felt it was the last step for me... And although I didn't have any health issues other than borderline high BP I felt if this didn't work I would have an early end to my life because I couldnt continue to carry around 377 lbs and live to tell about it.

So I made sure I followed every rule....listened to me drs orders and ventured on this journey ei one thing in mind,,,, and fast forward 2 years later I did it.... And I feel very blessed to have been successful.

I am 7 days away from being banded and I worry too. I have failed so many times before which is why I have decided to do this.

The main worries I have is my chocolate cravings. I love chocolate! And I am worried I will not be able to get over it and stick to a healthy diet.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Failure was never an option for me. I had todo something and it had to work. So I followed allthe rules, changed my eating habit and here I am happy and health.

Best thing I've done for myself.

Happy New Year!