Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regain liquid diet weight? Or only notice loss at Green Zone?

I had the surgery about 7 weeks ago. I lost 14lbs on the liquid diet. When I could start eating again, I was ravenous and felt no restriction. As of now, I'm only down 5lbs.

I don't feel discouraged, because I do place the blame squarely on myself. What I am wondering is how exactly the band is supposed to be helping me at this point--if at all. Because I know it's not a magic pill.

I'm kicking myself because it seems like the most significant weight loss is in the beginning. But I'm wondering how does that happen for other people--going from a liquid diet to being able to eat solids again? At this point, it just feels like any other liquid diet, which I've done in the past and always gained back.

So--did anyone else gain back the weight after going off liquids and not feeling any restriction? Did the weight loss come after more fills?

I'm just really angry at myself right now because I feel that after something as drastic as weight loss surgery, the scale should be steadily trending downwards.

Yes! I had surgery Nov 27th And I gained 5 pounds back and weight has stalled. I can't even get my first fill till Feb 6th. So we need to just keep eating our cup and drinking lots of Water. And the weight loss will soon follow. ;)

Let me apologize in advance for my default response to your topic. Your post is very common mainly because almost every one of us has had the same experience 6 weeks or more into this journey. Seems like most all had selective hearing when we went through the seminars, research and nutrition meetings? I know I did. I really thought I'd immediatly start losing weight and feel satisfied with a small meal. HA! Not a chance. Some are lucky and it does work that way but for most, not!

I was banded a little over a year ago(11/28/12). I lost 12 lbs the first two weeks and then nothing for the next 3.5 months. Then I got my 3rd fill and met with my nutritionist. The weight began to fall off after that. Relax, what you are experiencing is very normal and has happened to most of us. Seems like I was hungrier after the surgery than ever before. But, I was a good boy and ate healthy foods, but maybe not the 1/2 cup I was told to eat.

You'll be in "bandster hell" until you get the fill that gives you enough restriction for the band to work it's magic. That may be 1 fill or 6. No one knows. Till then, like our esteemed forum member B-52 says, "

"Until there's restriction...It's just another diet

tmf

As far as seminars and nutrition meetings, I had none (self-pay/Mexico). What I did do was a lot of research. One bit of info that stuck in my mind and contributed to my discouragement was a statistic about how most people lose most of the weight in the first 12 months, after which there is a noticeable drop-off. So, in my head--and I know my thinking might be warped, I've already "lost" 2 of those months and was starting to panic a little bit, because I'm also traveling out of the country for several months next summer and may or may not be in the Green Zone by then and have always gained weight when traveling in the past. So my goal was to maintain for those 4 months, essentially "losing" 6 of the 12 months I was supposed to be having the most weight loss, which just discouraged me and made me feel very behind. Then, in the next 5 months before I leave--who's to say I will even be in the green zone for most or any of them? Leaving me a couple of "dood" months in the year.

Well, I already know how f***ed up my thinking is (there's no reason I can't lose weight in the next 5 months, and also while traveling, and well beyond--I've lost weight without the band before). I'm just trying to give insight into the mentality behind a panicked question that's already been asked and answered. Really, I'm looking for some kind of support and reassurance and your response gave me that, so thank you.

Understandable. Even many of us who had surgery in the States expected to lose lots of weight immediately. I don't recall anyone mentioning "Bandster Hell" to me during my seminar/support group phase. I too was pissed that I had to wait till I got some kind of restriction before the band started to do it's magic. Then I got 2 fills and still was starving and not losing weight. And it sounds like my experience is typical?

But now, looking back on the whole experience, it was all for the good. It takes so long to learn how to eat with this band and become one with the band. Good luck and trust me, you'll soon have this love/hate relationship like many of us do(mostly love).

tmf

Hi there! Wanted to let you know that I am about 6 weeks In also... I have had one fill and have stil managed to put a bit of weight on over Chrissy. I feel little to no restriction. But everyone is assuring me this is pretty standard ... This is the time we got to work extra hard on fixin up our diet and gettin in as much excersize as possible! Be good to the band and the band will be good to you, EVENTUALLY haha :)

Right now with no restriction this is basically up to you. The band at this point is not going to help you eat less. You have no restriction but you also have to take some self control in this matter. We all had too.

Your post made me feel better. I had surgery on October 10th and haven't lost much at all. I've had one fill. I just feel like I can eat the way I always have.

Since surgery, I've lost weight every doctor weigh-in, with or without fills. I have adjusted eating habits, logged what I eat daily and maintained 1200-1260 calories per day with 60-70 Protein grams. When I've struggled in losing weight, I exercised more for a couple of days. I've gone back to liquid several times to jump start myself back to losing weight and not stopping the process. I do weigh myself everyday and don't get depressed when i don't lose any thing for a day or two. I am able to "tweak" myself back. I just try and stay active throughout each day. At work I find myself walking to a far restroom and sometimes I walk to a different floor level to use the restroom. I walk in each break and sometimes even lunch.

Guess I'm lucky. I haven't lost lot's of weight like some but I'm steady.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

Since surgery, I've lost weight every doctor weigh-in, with or without fills. I have adjusted eating habits, logged what I eat daily and maintained 1200-1260 calories per day with 60-70 Protein grams. When I've struggled in losing weight, I exercised more for a couple of days. I've gone back to liquid several times to jump start myself back to losing weight and not stopping the process. I do weigh myself everyday and don't get depressed when i don't lose any thing for a day or two. I am able to "tweak" myself back. I just try and stay active throughout each day. At work I find myself walking to a far restroom and sometimes I walk to a different floor level to use the restroom. I walk in each break and sometimes even lunch.

Guess I'm lucky. I haven't lost lot's of weight like some but I'm steady.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

OK, now you're just braggin'? 75 lbs in less than 5 months isn't a lot of weight? OK, Roja, grab those 3 extra large bags of dog food in the pet food isle at your local grocery and walk around for a while ;)

Now me, I've lost 50 lbs and we have cats so I imagine what it was like to drag around 2.5 20 lb bags of cat litter. Sometimes I buy two and then go down to the basement with both on my shoulder. Wholly crap, that's a Sh**load of weight to carry around. You should be beaming ear to ear over how much success you've accomplished!

tmf

OK' date=' now you're just braggin'? 75 lbs in less than 5 months isn't a lot of weight? OK, Roja, grab those 3 extra large bags of dog food in the pet food isle at your local grocery and walk around for a while ;)

Now me, I've lost 50 lbs and we have cats so I imagine what it was like to drag around 2.5 20 lb bags of cat litter. Sometimes I buy two and then go down to the basement with both on my shoulder. Wholly crap, that's a Sh**load of weight to carry around. You should be beaming ear to ear over how much success you've accomplished!

tmf[/quote']

LMAO, 5 cats here, I get the large bags of food & litter exercise. Who needs a gym!

LMAO, 5 cats here, I get the large bags of food & litter exercise. Who needs a gym!

I beg everyone's forgiveness for hijacking this topic! So, for you, imagine carrying around three 20 lb bags of litter? And, people like Missy and Floridays probably can't even lift the weight they've lost.

So, folks, when people tell you that the lapband doesn't work, don't believe it. imo

tmf

Hey KMA' date='

How many CCs do you have in your band?[/quote']

Hiya! I think 4. He usually does 6 but I was well ahead of where he wanted me 4 weeks post op in terms of weight loss. So he thought 4 would be enough and next time put a tad more in. I did receive ur message I will reply shortly! :)