Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to talk to the doctor about the band...

Back in 2009 I was on board with getting banded, and didn't have much further to go. Two things came up, we were misinformed on our insurance (Tri-care) and it's timing, as we had been told that we'd still have 3 months after he returned home of being on the insurance, my husband is in the Guard. The second had been that my doctor was concerned that my issue with weight loss may have something to do with my hormones.

We were able to show it wasn't my hormones, and that my body survives on a low calorie count (1200-1500 calories a day maintains my weight) and having come to this conclusion it seems like the lapband is a good investment for the long run of my life, considering we haven't even begun to have children yet, and I can't imagine how difficult it'll be to get the weight back off without some sort of tool to help.

In 2009 I didn't end up getting the surgery, it seemed realatively easy at the time to get it. I'm nervous now, nearly 4 years later, to go back and talk to a NEW doctor about this.

Any advice? Is it more complicated now to get approved? Did anyone else go back some time later and decide to get it after deciding NOT to get it?

I suggest you call or email insurance co and see what their terms are. They all are different. That's what I did, had answers in 24hrs.

I wanted surgery in 2009, but my ins didn't cover it. So yes it was easier now.lol

Good luck!

i wanted to have it done in 2010 - and my insurance didn't cover it and I tried all sorts of ways to get it and came up short - and now I just found out that my employer is adding it to our coverage in November! I am so excited ! I am going to start my band fund so that when it rolls around I will have my deductible ready! I think if it is something that you really want you shouldn't be nervous about talking to another doctor - go for it! Hopefully your insurance will not be a hassle and it will go smooth for you! Good Luck! :)

Thank you both :]

My husband is going to be active duty again, so I've got a small time frame to get it done, and it'll be through TriCare again - It's difficult not to be nervous, because I know it's definitely what I need now.

Best wishes for success!

Good luck to you dear!

I was gonna have the bypass a couple of years ago but decided to try on my own. I have tried several times since n have failed. Now I realized that the band is a tool tool to help loose weight so I'm very exited n can't wait till January 2nd to get banded. I had to see 6 different doctors to get approved (n had to see each a couple times n then some others to get approved) I also had to have a 6 month supervised diet in which I had already done weight watchers several times. I started my process in October n was approved by December. Good luck to you n hope this helped.

Shot down AGAIN by tricare

I have Tricare Prime and every region has different requirements..for instance my region is TriWest and requires a 6 month supervised diet. What region are you in?

Don't be nervous! It's normal but I was too, and I couldn't be happier now! I tried for over a year to loose weight barely losing 5 lbs and have lost 27 in 6 weeks! :)

I'm in Washington - So I think that makes me West? Last time they said they usually have supervised diet but I was able to provide them with all the different diets I had done, and because my insurance wasn't for very long they were willing to rush it - I'm hoping that's the same this time :/ It'd be really heartbreaking if they made me wait another 6 months when I was already approved before.

I'm in Washington - So I think that makes me West? Last time they said they usually have supervised diet but I was able to provide them with all the different diets I had done, and because my insurance wasn't for very long they were willing to rush it - I'm hoping that's the same this time :/ It'd be really heartbreaking if they made me wait another 6 months when I was already approved before.

Yes, you would be Triwest like me! Not to be a Debbie downer but It is getting increasingly difficult to get approved with Tricare and another potential spanner in the works could be that United Health will take over the Tricare contract in April of this year...I would act now, knowing that right now you are covered for wls under Tricare...no one knows what will happen in April...with that said, there's every chance if you were approved prior and you still meet the guidelines today, that you will be approved again...I really hope so..I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...

:( I'm not covered right now, I'll be covered in Feb because that's when my husband goes on orders.

:( I'm not covered right now, I'll be covered in Feb because that's when my husband goes on orders.

:( As soon as he goes active and you are updated in Deers I would talk to Tricare (preferably in person if possible)....I didn't think of it before but, surgery approvals have a time window and they usually expire 6 months from approval....only Tricare would know if you have to go through the process of meeting the requirements again...I'm so sorry...I hope it all works out for you..