Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New- comsidering the band

I am new and also considering the lap band. I would appreciate some feedback as what to expect and are you happy with your decision. I am 30 yrs old, my BMI is 39.2 and I'm insulin resistant, with shortness of breath episodes. So I'm not sure if I would qualify for the surgery.

Hiya and welcome! I honestly believe in the band. I have only had it a short time. Oct 22nd 2012, and It has been the best decision I have made. It is a tool, and you can't expect for it to do all the work for you. It's not a miracle worker.. but it is a powerful tool used in the right way. It helps to keep you satisfied on smaller amounts of food for a longer period of time. it takes hard work and dedication, but it helps soo much!

Other WLS to me are to high risk. To many complications, and the lap band was perfect for me. It is something that will help me lifelong. unlike other's such as the bypass or sleeve. You can stretch your pouch the way it was before surgery, and all those horrible complications for nothing. The band, you can always go in for a fill if you feel you are starting to eat more than you should, and are not being satisfied for a longer period of time. Besides it's reversable if need be.

Good luck on your decision to makiing a better healthier you! Hope you join us! :) **hugs*!

The lab band was the best thing I did for myself. I was banded 10 months ago, down 73 lbs, no longer need high blood pressure meds and I feel great! My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

My advise would be do your research. Read this forum, read about the successes and the failures. Learn about the rules and the work you will have to do. The band isn't a quick fix. It is a lot of hard work, weight loss can be slow, it can be frustrating. It is a tool and used correctly it will give you the results you want.

Good luck on you decision.

Greatest thing in my life after childbirth, and a lot less painful

Chez, I thought I was the greatest thing in your life.?!

Seriously, I am getting banded 12/17. I have learned sooooo much from this site.

Read, tge good the bad, the ugly and you will make an informed decision.

Good luck.

Thank you everyone. After researching it I am going to start the ball rolling with my insurance and maybe I can get lucky and have them pay for it. I believe this is the best decision for me. I have tried EVERY diet, pill, shake out there with no results. Thanks again

I'm getting banded this Friday and after my children, Its the best decision I have ever made!

Chez, I thought I was the greatest thing in your life.?!

Seriously, I am getting banded 12/17. I have learned sooooo much from this site.

Read, tge good the bad, the ugly and you will make an informed decision.

Good luck.

Who you calling ugly??LOL

Banded Oct 15 and very satisfied with the band. Everyone gave you great advice and I hope you take it.

It's not an easy fix (like some think) It takes work. Like AJ said, do your homework, read everything about the band, hang out here and learn from the successes and also the failures. I spent 7mths here before banding and I'm very thankful I did. I owe a lot to the peeps of LBT.Com!

Best Wishes! Keep us posted

Thanks do the advice! I have been reading up on the surgery. I spoke with my doctor and insurance today, they will cover it 100% after I complete 6 months of nutrition and exercise program. I suppose that's normal. So I guess if I'm approved I will have my surgery in about 8m. Has anyone else been through this process?

Most have to go through the 6months. I was told I had to go through that, then I received the best call ever and they said, actually all you have to do is 1 nutrition meeting with your Dr. My dr wrote up for me that I had tried everyhthing known to man basically, it was pretty cute, he says.. you tried weight watchers? I said, no.. he said.. you DID try weight watchers right? I said, Ooh .. Yes.. Yes I DID! hehe

What insurance carrier do you have? and I would also see if there is anything to speed that part up if you want that is? Since mine had said 6months in the insurance rules.. I don't think they ever updated it. I went through, O-band. They did all that for me, when I told my surgeons office about that awesome news, they looked at me like I was crazy and said No, i believe your insurance requires the 6months. She called in front of me just to make sure, and sure enough all I needed was the 1 visit to my Dr. Not to get your hopes up, but always worth a try, I have Blue cross blue shield. Maybe my BMI was to high and they though, she woman can't wait! I'm not really sure why. lol

anyway.. Good Luck to ya!! :)

Welcome 12dav. You've joined a great forum with lots of knowledge on the band, sleeve and other surgeries for weight reduction. Almost all here, share their experiences with all of us. Since we are individuals, all of us have responded in different ways. My band was on Aug 6, surgery was less than 1 hours (repaired hernia near breastbone) and installed the band. The next day I was driving without any problems and even attended a weight reduction seminar in my local hospital.

You will get all questions answered here. Youtube has videos if you can handle surgery topics. Other Youtube videos have been made by band patients who share their journeys.

Best wishes and Keep The Faith.

Wow! Thanks destiny! I have BCBS highmark and the contract mailed to me stated it required 6m of nutritionist. But it's worth checking did you just call the insurance yourself?

Thanks do the advice! I have been reading up on the surgery. I spoke with my doctor and insurance today' date=' they will cover it 100% after I complete 6 months of nutrition and exercise program. I suppose that's normal. So I guess if I'm approved I will have my surgery in about 8m. Has anyone else been through this process?[/quote']

This is exactly what I had to do. Spent every day of the 7mths here, learning from the pros.