Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins: Are They Really That Important?

My surgeon told me how important taking my Vitamins were. Iron, Calcium, viitamin d, Biotin, Multi-Vitamin. I think that's all but there's probably a ton more I'm suppose to be taking.

I was really good at taking them the first couple of months after surgery. But I stopped when I ran out and never thought to buy more. I'm just lazy and I didn't think they mattered all that much. I have experienced no side-effects of not taking them... Until now. Maybe. I still take the multi-vitamin ones though!...occasionally...

Biotin suppliments prevent hairloss and skin damage, right? Well.... now my skin is getting dry, and I just moved from a very dry, hot climate to a very humid, cold climate. That could be why. I've come to try many lotions. Mostly ones containing shea or cocoa or both. St. Ives, pure cocoa butter from CVS, and Johnson's Baby Lotion to name a few.

I have Patches of dry, flakey skin on my hands and forarms. Not many but to the point where people ask me: "What did you do to your arms?" And I'm like "Nothing. Dry skin!"

I usually apply the lotion right after I shower in the morning but I apply again, just a little bit, on my hands, if they feel dry during the day. Right now, for the past week and a half I've been trying pure cocoa butter from CVS. And my skin is really soft and the skin tone is nice and even. But my patches of dry, flakey skin haven't changed.

Is this lap band related?

Do you guys take your vitamins religiously?

I have an intolerance to Vitamins so I had to take the one at a time spread throughout my day. I took them until the last 2 months. My doctor due to my condition ok'd the stop and it checking my labs montly to make sure all is good. If something drops back on I go. This however, makes it that much more important that I eat the right food to get the nutrition I need.

FYI- do not discontinue them unless under a doctors supervision.

I only take a Gummy multi Vitamin religiously and I took Biotin during my losing stage. My dr said as long as I eat my Protein and vegtables as part of a balanced diet he didnt feel I needed anything else. That is my situation and may not be yours. I would speak to your drs and see if they can get a handle on the source of the problem. The skin issues could be weather related... so maybe a dermotologist visit is in order but I would start with a full work up from the regular dr. He should be able to see if you have a vitamin deficiency.

Hi Kristine,

Yes, taking a Multivitamin daily is VERY important, more so in weight loss patients. Because our bodies are not getting enough of a balanced nutrionial diet, we need a Multivitamin in place to help with our insides.

Now, you don't need to take a Biotin pill unless you 'want' to. People who take Biotin are or have experienced hair loss during and after surgery. You mentioned Vitamin D, Unless perscribed by YOUR doctor you do not need to take them, as there is adequate Vitamin D in the multivitamin. Iron pills should ONLY be taking if prescribed .. again, there is adequate amount of Iron in a multivitamin.

Taking 1 multiVitamin daily will not put you in poor house, you can buy a Huge bottle that can last for 6 months for about $15 or less. Buy the Gummy ones, they are less expensive.

Your dry skin is a different issue, could be many factors - change in weather, not drinking of enough of Water, allergies, etc.. Way too broad for a diagnosis. You will have to consult a dermatologist for that. No, your dry skin is not related to your band.

Have you had follow up blood work since being banded? have them check your TSH levels (thyroid), just to make sure. But deff get that dry skin looked at and take a multivitamin :)

Only if you are Vitamin deficient. If you aren't the body will not use it. That is why blood work for weight loss pts are important. I only ttake B12 injections the rest of my levels are fine. No one should ever take Iron unless you are anemic or have iron deficiency it caan vause cardiac problems. Only take what you need

It's good insurance. The average woman needs2000 calories a day of healthy food, nd as binders we might eat healthy but not enough. Seven years on I've had issues with Iron, B12 and I've had two broken ribs this year, bone density scan results were less than awesome. I've ad major problems with energy and mood too.

Needless to say I now top up with Vitamins.

My surgeons nurse sat down with me and said that due to the small amount of food, we definitely need Vitamins. You can also take one vit/protein shake. I personally will use the one-a-day complete gummies!

Jachut - what Vitamins helped with the moods?

I find Iron and B12 the most important ones for me and they really do seem to help me feel better mentally.

But I've had cancer and a horrible menopause and am also on HRT and testosterone and even STILL thinking about an antidepressant so I do have other issues besides diet.

The other thing I was really struggling with was recovery after exercise and six solid weeks of B12 appears to be helping there too.

I must stress, its taken seven years for some of these deficiencies to show and I"m always having blood tests so I'm not blindly throwing Vitamins and things I've diagnosed in myself. But I wish I'd taken a multi all along.

I've taken Vitamins daily for over 30 years. I really believe in them and I know my eating habits.

My friend got a call from the hospital after getting her lab work done that she had to get to get back to the hospital A.S.A.P. immediately and she had to have someone drive her she thought what the heck could be wrong? She felt fine healthy as could be. Anyway her potassium was so low the doc said she could of had a heart attack at any point. ( she is a gastric bypass patient) anyway i would contact your doctor just to be on the safe side;) good luck!