Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different Approaches To Weight Loss

Only one-third of the population of the United States is at a normal weight. The other two-thirds are overweight or obese – or morbidly obese. Most Americans are very interested in finding a solution for obesity.

If you’re like most of the population, you’ve probably tried a bunch of methods for losing weight. If you’re still searching, then you probably didn’t find one that worked for the long term. Sure, maybe they worked for a short time, or helped you lose a little bit of weight, but eventually you regained the weight.

With so many advances in science and so much interest in an obesity treatment, you’d think there’d be a magic cure for obesity by now. But, there isn’t. These are your current options for losing weight. Each of them relies on eating fewer calories than you expend.

• Dieting: eating less or choosing lower-calorie foods so that your total intake is lower.
  • Exercising more: burning more calories through physical activity.
  • Dieting and Exercising: naturally, doing both would lead to faster weight loss.
  • Weight Loss Drugs: these can increase your metabolism or decrease your appetite.
  • Weight Loss Surgery: make your includes diet and exercise

Weight cycling, or yo-yo dieting, is no fun – but that’s what so many of us are doing! In fact, more than 90 percent of people who rely on diets and exercise for weight loss gain their weight back soon – or don’t even achieve their goal weight in the first place. For most people, the problem with diets and exercise is that they’re temporary; people get bored with them and stop following their programs.

Weight loss drugs have their own problems.

• There aren’t too many options that are approved by the food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • They’re not necessarily effective – they may help you lose a few pounds, but probably won’t get 100 pounds off of you.
  • They’re usually only allowed for a short time, such as 12 weeks or a year.
  • Like all drugs, they have side effects.

Weight loss surgery is an increasingly well-known option for weight loss. Many patients who have had previous failed diet attempts are able to lose hundreds of pounds and keep them off. Weight loss surgery procedures can be restrictive, which means that they make your stomach smaller or help you feel full faster so that you eat less. They can be malabsorptive, which means that the amount of nutrient that you absorb decrease. Or, they can be both restrictive and malapsorptive.

Not all weight loss surgeries are the same, though, so you’d better look at your options carefully if you think you’re interested. Chapter 2 of The BIG Book on the LAP-BAND® describes each of the common weight loss surgeries and how they work.

• Vertical banded gastroplecty: A restrictive procedure, also known as stomach stapling, in which the surgeon staples shut the majority of your stomach pouch.
  • Vertical sleeve gastroplasty: A restrictive procedure in which the surgeon removes the majority of your stomach pouch and covers the incision with a “sleeve.”
  • Sleeve plication: A restrictive procedure, also known as curvature plication, in which most of your stomach is folded over so you can only use a tiny pouch.
  • Laparoscopic adjustable banding (Lap-band): A restrictive, fully reversible procedure in which a band is placed around the upper portion of your stomach so you feel full faster.
  • Gastric bypass: A restrictive and malapsorptive procedure in which part of your stomach blocked off and your small intestine is resectioned.

So what is it going to take for you to lose weight and get healthy? It may seem impossible, especially if you’ve tried and failed so many times before, but one of the most important messages in Chapter 2 of The BIG Book on the LAP-BAND® is that you can get healthy! Successful weight loss requires lifestyle changes and a serious, long-term commitment. For some people, losing weight and keeping it off also requires the lap-band. The important point is that you can do it if you set your mind to it and have the right tools.

Alex, you are truly a well spoken individual. Your passion for something that actually works is very evident.

This was a well written piece. I honestly had no idea about a couple of these precedures and thought I'd completed a fairly comprehensive read on WLS, in general.But, its obvious to ME after having read this that I need to spaek with a well rounded Surgeon. I have that on my bucket list anyways, so now I will go in more informed,

Thanks so MUCH! Thanks for this and all the other wls sites too. They DO have a welcoming FEELING associated in the memory/contemplation of,the use of a forum.

You are a neat person I'll wager, and probably make an awesome friend! Thanks so much for the invite to join, and all of the other amenities associated with being a member of this/these forums. Dont ever change Friend, just stay the way you are, personalitywise, cause yer not broke, so you need no" fixin", IMO. SOOoo, if anybody man or woman tells you otherwise tellem I said to get bent!

Flatterry fest over, still thankful!

Sincerely,

Sandy

First Alex, thank you for starting LBT. I was one of those individuals 2 years ago looking for answers and searching the web and trying to figure out how I was going to make WLS work for me. I have learned a lot from the forums and the blogs, using both examples of success and failures to guide my journey. As my WLS surgeon says, I am a WLS lap band success. I have been successful using the LB as a tool to guide my journey and change my behavior and relationship with food. Your statement is right on, if you do not modify your behavior and change your relationship with food you will never be successful longterm with any WL program or surgery. I had a F/U appointment today with my WLS and I will have another in 6 months, or sooner if I need him. I am also one of the members who visits the site daily and I will tell you that this site has been a very valuable tool and is also part of my success. Tracking my journey through this site, helps. It helps to see how others cope and don't cope because we all have a very common thread, "Morbid Obesity". Thank you and your team for the dedication and time you spend maintaining the site and making it better everyday. How does an obese person learn best, "From other obese people" We can identify\fy with each other, empathize with issues and also dream that we may also be successful one day in this journey. Today when I followed up with my WLS I was honest with my feelings on how important I feel physiological follow up and being active in support groups is to long term success. You can not succeed in what you do not give your all too! Everyone measures success differently, some in scales, some in health issues but the key is measuring the success and celebrating the milestones along the journey. Losing weight and maintaining the WL is not easy but it is duable to all if only you put your heart and sole into the process. You have to believe in your self in order to succeed.

LovetheNewMe

First Alex, thank you for starting LBT. I was one of those individuals 2 years ago looking for answers and searching the web and trying to figure out how I was going to make WLS work for me. I have learned a lot from the forums and the blogs, using both examples of success and failures to guide my journey. As my WLS surgeon says, I am a WLS lap band success. I have been successful using the LB as a tool to guide my journey and change my behavior and relationship with food. Your statement is right on, if you do not modify your behavior and change your relationship with food you will never be successful longterm with any WL program or surgery. I had a F/U appointment today with my WLS and I will have another in 6 months, or sooner if I need him. I am also one of the members who visits the site daily and I will tell you that this site has been a very valuable tool and is also part of my success. Tracking my journey through this site, helps. It helps to see how others cope and don't cope because we all have a very common thread, "Morbid Obesity". Thank you and your team for the dedication and time you spend maintaining the site and making it better everyday. How does an obese person learn best, "From other obese people" We can identify\fy with each other, empathize with issues and also dream that we may also be successful one day in this journey. Today when I followed up with my WLS I was honest with my feelings on how important I feel physiological follow up and being active in support groups is to long term success. You can not succeed in what you do not give your all too! Everyone measures success differently, some in scales, some in health issues but the key is measuring the success and celebrating the milestones along the journey. Losing weight and maintaining the WL is not easy but it is duable to all if only you put your heart and sole into the process. You have to believe in your self in order to succeed.

LovetheNewMe

Great post Alex and Love!

agree with the banded b's (grammy and love) excellent post....(as always).

Alex, I got banded July 20,2012 and I have to be honest I am struggling. The closest support meetings are over an hour drive and I really do not have the time nor the extra gas money to get there. I am finding it hard to navigate thru your website. I was thinking on getting a book that would help me thru all of my questions, menu's for the week etc... I wanted to know if "The Big Book on the Lap Band" that you wrote is the one that I should buy. I go to Curves, here in my town, and they are starting a 90 day program in January, something like Weight Watchers, which works with the exercise circuit. I am considering this. At least I will be going to weekly meetings and talking with people and it is only 5 blocks from my house. I know I am not living the banded way of life and I need to get on track. I have come a long way to give up. I seem to be an inspiration to others at my work. I work in Dietary at our local hospital. And I feel I am always being watched on what I eat. I have to admit that I throw up at least once, every day. So I would appreciate your comments as soon as you are able.

Alex, I got banded July 20,2012 and I have to be honest I am struggling. The closest support meetings are over an hour drive and I really do not have the time nor the extra gas money to get there. I am finding it hard to navigate thru your website. I was thinking on getting a book that would help me thru all of my questions, menu's for the week etc... I wanted to know if "The Big Book on the Lap Band" that you wrote is the one that I should buy. I go to Curves, here in my town, and they are starting a 90 day program in January, something like Weight Watchers, which works with the exercise circuit. I am considering this. At least I will be going to weekly meetings and talking with people and it is only 5 blocks from my house. I know I am not living the banded way of life and I need to get on track. I have come a long way to give up. I seem to be an inspiration to others at my work. I work in Dietary at our local hospital. And I feel I am always being watched on what I eat. I have to admit that I throw up at least once, every day. So I would appreciate your comments as soon as you are able.

Hi! I normally shy away from doling out medical advice and usually rely on our great community of resourceful members to assist with questions such as yours. I feel your pain and frustration.....must be tough to be in your job and place!

When was the last time you sat down with your Lap-Band surgeon ? It sounds like you might need an adjustment. You most definitely shouldn't be throwing up daily. How much weight have you lost since July ?

The band isn't a set it and forget it device. You MUST have somewhat of a Lap-Band support system in place. Otherwise, you're absolutely setting yourself up for failure. It's great to go to a support group like Curves or Weight watchers but how will you learn to live and manage your Lap-band ? I'd highly suggest that you make the effort and visit your surgeon again in the near future. Discuss the above issues with him. I'm curious to hear what he suggests!

I guarantee the book will clarify, teach and assist you with almost anything Lap-band related. It's not meant as an alternative to visiting your surgeon and following the Lap-band way of life ;-) If you purchase the book directly through us and for any reason, you're not satisfied. I will have 100% of your purchase price refunded, no questions asked.

Putting in my 2 cents also Alex....

Thank you for this site...

its like having a personal support group when ever I need support....some times we cant wait for our once a month meeting !!