Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Falling Off Of The Wagon

Hi everyone,

I got my lapband in September of 2010 and lost 70 lbs in one year. Since then I have been playing with 20 lbs taking if off and putting it back on at least 3 times. I am way out of control with my eating and its been difficult to reighn myself back in. I won't go for another fill because I think its a "head" rather than surgery thing. Also, every time I overeat or eat too fast I vomit so I think my band is tight enough and that I just need to eat mindfully. I guess I am looking for someone that has experienced this a few years after surgery and has gotten themselves back on track. How did you do it?

Well- unfortunately I can't say I am back on track, but I sympathize with you. I too have totally fallen off the wagon. I was banded 3 years ago- almost to the day. I lost 107 pounds in 10 months, reaching goal. I have gained back about 50 of it. Can't even believe I let it happen. I am excited to see family over the holiday, but kind of dreading it too. Over the last year, I have steadily put on weight. All I can say is I am not giving up, and you shouldn't either. We can do this, lets go back to the habits that allowed us to loose the weight in the first place.

I do not have that concern, but I think as bandsters we all could be in the same boat someday. I will keep you in my prayers and please stay in touch with us. Since you took the time to post this I know you are serious about getting back on the wagon, good luck to you. We really do care. Hugs

I feel your pain. I had almost the same experience. I finally called the doctor and they wanted to check my band sinc it has been so long. i was suprised when they gave me a small fill. I got focused and back to the basics. I follow my doctor's rule measure, track and eat slow. I am proof that anyone can get back on track you just have to want it enough and start making the right changes. Go over your plan with your doctor or nurse to make sure you know the guidelines and then just take it one day at a time. I lost 14.2 the first three weeks back on track and cant wait to weigh in on Weds. I did also find that I had to let go of the guilt I was feeling in order to move ahead. Best of luck you can do it!

I'd recommend getting the diet, exercise and head together and seeing your dr. I did that about a month ago and I feel so much better. Heading back in 2 weeks for another follow up! I'd gained about 25 back of 70 but it's gotta start sometime!

I am only a little over a year out and feeling the same way! I haven't gained any weight back, but am at a major plateau and I know it's due to my habits. I haven't worked out in months and am eating pretty much what I want. A big problem is scheduling my time. I need to make myself have time to work out and eat correctly. Good luck to you all!

I guess I dont understand.... If you are not losing or starting to put weight back on... why wouldnt you return to the Dr as a start to getting back on track? Maybe I was Dr dependant but I credit him with much of my success. I saw him every month for 18 months.... I asked questions, I discussed challenges, I got advice on Portion Control, discussed to fill or not to fill....... Maybe I missed something in the post but if it were me I would start there.

I guess I dont understand.... If you are not losing or starting to put weight back on... why wouldnt you return to the Dr as a start to getting back on track? Maybe I was Dr dependant but I credit him with much of my success. I saw him every month for 18 months.... I asked questions, I discussed challenges, I got advice on Portion Control, discussed to fill or not to fill....... Maybe I missed something in the post but if it were me I would start there.

I agree, even tho I'm only 5 mos post op I see my Dr every month and probably will do so till I hit that "sweet" spot of the green zone and then he will want to see me on a regular basis after that. I go to support meetings twice a month. hang in there.

It has been a year and 5 month since I had surgery on my first year I lost a total of 88 pounds I got very sick and need it to have major surgery and had a complete hysterectomy..... I was so depressed and so tire of surgeries and Doctors that I haven't gone back to my Dr. I have put back 15 pounds and this morning I found this application on my phone and I started reading everyone's concerns and realize I'm not alone there are lots like us that are struggling....... I'm getting back on track as of today I made an appointment to see my Dr. Tomorrow I'm ashamed and I feel guilty but it will not stop me from getting back on track. I hope you can do the same. Lets do this...

Carolyn

follow up care is important to sucess you have us but get back in tune with your doctor or weight loss center

It's never too late to get back on the wagon. And remember your doctor is there to help you along, don't be afraid to call them. You can do this.

Good luck to everyone.

It seems to me most people who are not doing well know why. It is really a matter of getting up brushing yourself off and getting back on. I also agree that monthly meetings with my doctor are now a priority. The nurse who is amazing told me when I can't afford to come in she wants to at least chat with me on the phone. Please don't wait as long as I did. I could have been at my goal lat least 2 times over by now.

In my personal opinion, I don't see why visiting a doctor would make you eat better. To each their own and whatever works for you, stick to it, definitely! I just don't think it would make a difference for me. I am currently at 7cc in my 10cc band and am only able to eat what I should be eating (quantity). The problem is I can still make bad choices and no one can fix that but me. You don't have to be doctor dependent to be successful with the lapband. Obviously, any medical issues should be directed that way and if you have a nutrionist that is aware of your situation that may help. If anything I think a support group would be great for accountability. It makes you want to do good because those people are doing good and are going to see you next month. Haha. Good luck!

Everyone is different. One thing it does is keep me accountable. I also can ask questions etc...glad that you don't need the extra help and I am sure there are also others that don't but you see how often people post questions about how to get back on track. Those people usually haven't seen a doctor in a long time"

For me seeing the Dr was expected by him. He told me up from he would expect to see me monthly until I was at goal. He relaxed it in March when I was still 80 lbs away from goal because I was doing so well.

I agree that he is not the one putting food in my mouth... or making bad choices... thats all me. But If you know you have an appointment monthly... it means you wont let it get away from you if you do stray.

Of course whatever works for the indivual is best.