Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kiss Splenda Good-Bye!!

I've tried Stevia. It's in a lot of my Protein Drinks. I think it's great. Lots of people use it in their coffee. It's difficult as a substitute for sugar in recipes calling for it, however, unless you're an expert at matching consistency in recipes. But if you want a little sugary taste in your cerial, Stevia is great! Stevia also doesn't affect blood sugar.

Article on Stevia:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/4_00/stevia.html

Much more research is needed.

Splenda

The cholorine ion does not break free from the compound.

It has been in use for 30 years.

Its better than Aspartimine.

I am more afraid of my city drinking Water which on occasion I CAN taste the cholorine in it.

Our water is flouridated also, so we are drinking flouride too.

Again.. my liver is already in line to be affected by my weight.

Diabetes will do more damage quicker to my body than my Splenda tea will. And maybe with some help with the band, I can go back to real sugar.

well i have been waiting in fear for this day....i drink sweet tea with lemon EVERY DAY and yep i only use splenda....

i use 85% natural organic products but i just cant use ANY form of true sugar...i have used the turbinado...weight gain... so if they pull it i will again switch to Raw sugar but will have to cut it back to a glass a day...

Me too! Love my sweet tea with lemon. And after what Big Paul said, I'm going to go get my Splenda out of the garbage can. *laughs*

Hi,

I will never give up my Splenda. I dont believe all the rubbish anyway. Most of the symptoms they are claiming they see in folks can be associated with pretty much anything. I am a recruiter and I specialized in the food industry for 4 years. I still work some food accounts and I know quite a bit about Splenda. I am not a microbiologis or chemist, but the sugar industry is really hurting and Splenda really took off. I was using it long before others even knew about it and I havent died yet... LOL. There are so many things in the universe that are bad for us. Dont take away my joy....... I love my SPLENDA! SPLENDA rocks!!!

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-154 ish Been using splenda and it hasnt affected my numbers yet....

It's not going anywhere folks. Saccharin was reported to cause cancer... and Sweet snd Low is still on the market... never went anywhere.

My opinion is, if it give you problems, or you are afraid of it... don't use it.

I have read several of the studies done on it, and I am not afraid of it, and it has caused me no ill reactions. So, I'll use it.

But, it is NOT being pulled off the market. believe me, it would not be hard to find a story about that... it would be HUGE news. Heck, it was HUGE news when ephedra was pulled, and most people never heard of it, almost everyone knows what Splenda is.

Having my CRYSTAL LIGHT, sweetened with Splenda. Yummy!

DH and I REFUSE to eat splenda. It has the most foul aftertaste. And I love that they were sued for claiming it is as natural as sugar in their early ads. My mom is one of those that has severe abdominal cramping with it. She had a mild ulcer in the 80's. It healed, but splenda came out, she used it in everything, and it came back 2 fold. Her doctor told her no more. If she was going to eat an artifical sweetner, use equal.

I am an equal girl. Much better tasting in my opinion. and it doesn't leave that ultra sickly sweet plasticy taste in my mouth. Mom gave it up and her ulcer is on the mend.

DH and I have sworn to eat as natural as possible. Aside from growing our own veggies and milking our own goats. We make all of our meals from scratch. and yes, that means using pure, unadulterated sugar. We do use natural rough sugar. We have friends in hawaii that send us bags of pure cane sugar in its raw form. I also substitute 100% apple juice in some of my recipes for sugar if it can handle the extra liquid. This is a great way of getting some sweetness without using sugar.

we can blame different foods all day long. the problem is we do not do anything in moderation. if we learn to use sugar in moderation, then we would not have the problem we do. instead many have just substituted on evil for another, and are racking up the preservative and chemical points in the body. Whether the chlorine or flouride or whatever is not the same when bonded, the point is that it is still going into the body. I don't like that.

DH and I have sworn to eat as natural as possible. Aside from growing our own veggies and milking our own goats. We make all of our meals from scratch. and yes, that means using pure, unadulterated sugar. We do use natural rough sugar. We have friends in hawaii that send us bags of pure cane sugar in its raw form. I also substitute 100% apple juice in some of my recipes for sugar if it can handle the extra liquid. This is a great way of getting some sweetness without using sugar.

we can blame different foods all day long. the problem is we do not do anything in moderation. if we learn to use sugar in moderation, then we would not have the problem we do. instead many have just substituted on evil for another, and are racking up the preservative and chemical points in the body. Whether the chlorine or flouride or whatever is not the same when bonded, the point is that it is still going into the body. I don't like that.

Amen sista! The low carb revolution gave people a new lease on low-glycemic eating, but with the launch of so many low-carb substitutions (Splenda included) we haven't learned how to eat differently - we just substitute it for engineered, low-carb alternatives. I just can't imagine we're not paying a dear price for this. Our bodies just don't recognize the content of some of these chemical bonds and the result is free radicals roaming around your body, resulting in aging, weight gain, loss of energy, and in some cases cancer.

I'm an organic gal, myself. I figured I'd change it ALL when I got banded and began to eat organic, non-processed foods. You can't imagine how quickly the craving for sugar dissipates. Your eyes are brighter, your skin looks better, you have a lot more energy! But it's definitely a lifestyle alteration; one that's not easy to convert to (ecspecially if you have a family).

oh we have taken that lifestyle on completely!! we have a few vices when it comes to alcohol and my one miniature Peanut Butter cup i get every night, but for the most part we are completely natural and made from scratch. i go shopping twice a week and load up on fresh fruits and veggies and alike. we catch fish at the pier now (three fishing trips and two have provided more fish that we can eat in a month!! LOL) and we only eat what i can make. no more fast food. no more canned sodas. only Water to drink.

Also, those of you who really like that activia...bad news there.

When my daughter was in the hospital she started to have really bad stomach pains. the doctor explained that it was from the antibiotics killing the good bacteria in the stomach that helps to digest food. i suggested to DH at that moment that we stock up on Activia when we get home for her. The doctor practically ripped my head off. He said "No, do not use that stuff. First of all, it is no better than regular full cultured yogurt. As long as your yogurt has not been processed and killed all the bacterium it is fine. But the activia has WAY more sugar than it should have in it. And it has been causing people to want to eat 3 or 4 of them. It is a marketing ploy. They jack up the sugar in it, to make you more hungry, so you eat more of them, and buy them more often than needed."

I was dumbfounded. I kow companies do this...but I had been eating this stuff, and done exactly that!! I went home and looked in the ingredients...sure enough, high fructose corn Syrup. So watch out people. That stuff is a wolf in sheeps clothing!!

Another good sugar substitute is Xylitol.

Xylitol is a naturally occuring sweetener that is extracted from Birch Bark.

It is a sugar alcohol, but does not have the side affects that most sugar alcohol has (cramping, diarrhea, gas, bloating). It is also known to kill bad bacteria on your teeth, and some dentists actually recommend toothpaste and mouthwash containing Xylitol.

It has very little glycemic impact to your body.

It can be expensive, and there aren't really any products on the market that use it exclusively, but if you want it to sweeten coffee or tea, or to bake with (it browns like sugar does, so is suitable for baking, Aspartame looses all of it's sweetnedd when heated, and sucralose has no bulking or browning capability... like sugar) it is a good choice.

It is almost impossible to find in stores, but you can likely find it online.

When baking a low-sugar treat, I use a combination of Xylitol, Splenda or Stevia (depending on the taste I am going for... stevia actually has a little of a licorice aftertaste).

Just another alternative.

I'm gone folks, leaving for vacation... see you all next week!:heh:

I am soooo tired of hearing "this is dangerous" and "that is dangerous". A few months ago they were trying to say Tylenol could cause deadly liver failure. Well I'm sure it could given the right circumstances, but I've been using it for 30 years with no ill effects. Then they tried to say that caffeine could cause deadly heart arrythmia's. The media just loves to scare people; it's the media's pasttime much like knitting or stamp collecting. I have been guzzling 60 + ounces of diet soda (containing varius sweetners; aspartame, splenda, sacchrine) a day for over 25 years, and so far, so good. I've also swallowed gallons and gallons of chlorine while swimming every day for 16 years, and so far, so good. Now, will these things eventually kill me? Maybe. Will pollution eventually kill me? Maybe. Will Tylenol eventually kill me? Maybe. Will coffe eventually kill me? Maybe. Will saturated fat eventually kill me? Maybe. The point is... who cares! I want to live my life, enjoy my life, and go when it's my time to go. If we worry about every little thing that "could" or "might" kill us, then we wouldn't be able to leave the house! I believe 100% that I have a much, much higher chance of dying in a car accident on any given day than I have of dying from ingesting Splenda. Now excuse me while I go guzzle down my Splenda-laden flavored water. Yumm....

Sunta!! LOL!!! :pound: :clap2:

I'm with you, girl! When I go, I want to be thin and tan! So I'm still drinking Splenda in my lemon tea and by golly I'm getting tan in those tanning beds everyday too! We're all going to die. The least we can do is look damn good when we do! w00t!

OH man! So some people have stomach pains, then they should not take it. It totally works for me. NutriSweet gives me Migraines, so that is out. I need my splenda!

For those of us that really enjoy Splenda as a sugar substitute in drinks and such, I just heard on the news it has been pulled from all the shelves.... ... They merely stated it has been pulled from the shelves. Bummer...major Bummer!!

It isn't MENTIONED on the USDA website...where they have all the news releases...

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navtype=MA&navid=NEWSROOM

...and even the FDA was unaware...

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

But, for the record, I use sugar. I'm just not worried about...what is it?...18 calories or something, per teaspoon.

How about the size of your liver being a dictating factor in your life? Check out this article that I just read:

http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.asp?id=1&campaignno=artificialsweeteners&adgroup=splenda&keywords=splenda

I am an avid Splenda user as well. It's in the sugar canister instead of sugar. But as soon as I finish typing this, I'm going to go dump it into the garbage. It's mostly chlorine!! The reason it has no calories is because the body cannot absorb the sucralose.. but it CAN and DOES absorb the chlorine! Ack!! :scared:

I don't care if they take it off the shelf. I'm not buying it anymore. What good will it do me to reduce my calories if I end up with life threatening liver problems??

Whether they pull this or not, it is obvious it isn't good for us. Thanks for finding that article. I now don't feel so stupid for publishing what I had heard, even though I guess it hasen't been pulled yet....but I'm not a doctor and I don't know what I'm talking about (the following is brought to you courtesy of Dr. Pleatman and Geezer Sue)