Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kiss Splenda Good-Bye!!

I dont really have any issues with artificial sweetners, I just rarely use them. I dont drink diet sodas and like unsweet iced tea with lemon. The only thing I like sweetner in is a cup of hot green tea.......or any hot tea. I use regular sugar. I figure at 16 calories per teaspoon, might as well use 2 tsp of the real stuff and just tally the 30 calories into my day.

I'm glad we got the real scoop on that rumor. I know if Splenda were pulled from the shelves, my whole family would be in big trouble!

I have no fear of artificial sweeteners: as the daughter of a diabetic I remember my father's distress when cyclamates were pulled. (That's how old I am.) The quantity of whatever-it-is that I ingest using Splenda is not going to worry me, because sugar makes me sleepy.

Do what works, that's the rule. If you have a bad reaction, avoid it.

My mother was a diabetic and used aspertame (sp?) all the time, this was several years ago as she passed away in 2002. Well she ended up in the hospital with aspertame poisioning. She literally was kept for three days to "detox" her system and when she got out of the hospital she was off of all artificial sweeteners. After that... I will take my chances with Splenda until I hear of it doing that to someone.

They need to be careful about pulling things off the shelves. My dh has diabetes and really there aren't a lot of decent options. I can't find anything about this story on any of the news sites I go to.

I use Splenda and I will NEVER buy anything with Nutrasweet (aspartame) in it. In was a relief when Splenda came along.

Nutrasweet gives me headaches and I have heard too many REAL stories like the one Poodles mentioned to ever think it is safe even in small amounts.

I read Nutrasweet is partly owned by one of the FDA officials and that is how it was able to come on the market here. Bastards.

but I'm not a doctor and I don't know what I'm talking about (the following is brought to you courtesy of Dr. Pleatman and Geezer Sue)

Thank goodness SOMEONE put a disclaimer on you...

Much ado about nothing. I use the yellow packets, the pink packets, and the blue packets with equal (no pun intended) intent. I just grab whatever's closest. So many companies have switched to Splenda (sucralose) in their products that I doubt it's going anywhere. The sugar industry is up in arms over Splenda . . . not too tough to figure out why.

Question, I have read (can't remember where now) that the body can't distinguish between sugar and artificial sweeteners and responses the same way. Is that true? Can we just limit the amount of sugar we intake and it will have the same effect? Does anyone remember reading anything on this?

Roberta

I've herad that too you even get the same calories.also I read that if you eat "light" (fat free, low cal or whatever they call it)food you are more likely to eat 50% more calories than if you had a normal portion of regular food.I guess its all in our heads:-)

I don't like splenda as a substitute at home.. I was raised on sweet-n-low, so I have no problem using that as a substitute (I think it's an aquired taste)..

But I DO like SF foods in stores that are sweetened with Splenda.. like my SF Pudding!! I'm sure I have other splenda sweetened foods besides that, I just don't pay attention.

They said everything is bad, then they give it back..

Egg beaters, sweet-n-low, etc.. I wouldn't be too worried about splenda going anywhere.

Well, Splenda is still around, and this thread was started over a year ago, so I don't think it's going anywhere. I think all of the sweeteners affect people in different ways, and some people can handle the blue stuff but not the yellow stuff, or the pink stuff but not the blue stuff, or whatever. My mom loved splenda, but it gave here these wierd attacks... her doctor said they were anxiety, but they came out of no where (reading in bed, doing dishes, whatever), and they went away when she quit using splenda. I don't have that issue or anything like it, so I keep using it.

I've never been able to eat much of anything that has been sweetened with artificial sweeteners. They have a really weird taste to me. For example, when I drink iced tea, I can only use enough sweetener to cut the bitterness. I can't use enough to make it actually taste sweet or the strange flavor comes through. The closest I can come to describing the flavor is that it tastes like metal. The artificial sweeteners (doesn't matter which kind, they all taste like it) taste like I'm sucking on a dime. I've just gotten to where I like drinking my tea with no sweetener in it. I love sweet iced tea (I'm a southerner, of course I do!), but only if it is sweetened with sugar. Otherwise, I can't tolerate it.

That's one reason why I never drink Crystal Lite or other sugar-free drinks or even eat sugar-free foods that are made with Splenda. They've got a funky aftertaste, and in many cases, they're TOO sweet.

I love Splenda...and they still are using it. I bought 2000 from costco last year, and am not sure if they still sell it, because I still have some from last year. That would suck. What is Stevia?

Stevia can be bought at health food stores. I get mine from vitaminshoppe.com. The one I get has Fiber in it too to help things out. It tastes better in coffee than Splenda. It is cheaper too. Try it you may like it.