Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Honest- Is Banded Life Hard?

I have to throw my 2 cents in. I'm 2 years out and can say that the first 1.5 years was extremely easy with very sucessful weight loss with great restriction and very little hunger. I had excellent control on cravings and had no issues with refraining from the "C" foods (cookies, candy, cake, chips, chocolate, ice cream and my favorite cinnamon rolls). 2 years later, I can tell you that I now know the true meaning of the band being a tool. Restriction is still there, keeping me in check not to overeat , else pay the consequences, but, the food head games try to over take the tool, which becomes the challenge, fortunately, the tool reminds the head games whose in control. In addition the "C" food monster is back for me - darn that "C" food monster, but, that also can be conquered!

The eating lifestyle change was easier than expected at first, but, is a little tougher now, but is very manageable. Eating to live is something that has taken me by complete surprise and I now realize what I was doing to myself and was in such denial. I look back and all I can say is "WOW!!!"

The new lifestyle of fitness is something that is surreal to me. Who would have thunk such a tranformation from a couch potatoe with a bag of chips and the remote next to me most of my evenings to a 3 mile a day runner, not to mention the energy I have to dedicate to my grandkiddos. Loving life - all thanks to a jewel of a tool. jake

The more you all post and share your stories and opinions, and the more I read, the more confident I become that I am so ready to get banded and become healthy. Being overweight is all I've ever known and many of you have said that being overweight is/was harder for you than the band.. it actually makes the think because although I don't feel that living life as an overweight girl is hard, when I take a step back and truly look deep down into every aspect of it, it actually is. It's hard to tie my shoes, I can't cross my legs, I can't go up a flight of stairs without being winded... I'm embarrassed to leave my house and do every day errands.... it's sad... I'm ready to feel like the real me.. the one that the fat me won't let come out. I can not wait! Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for your continued input to this post. It is obvious that it is not only helping me, but other bandsters and future bandsters. You are all incredible people! :)

I can honestly say, I think this is the best thread I've read on here! So many inspirational stories, fantastic questions, and complete transparency. A HUGE thank you to the OP. You asked the "we all wanna know" questions, lol! I'm hoping to be banded before the end of the year and this thread was filled with nothing but encouragement.

:wub:

I have a tenative date for surgery as long as my insurance approves everything. January 9. And I can't wait! I am hoping for an answer by next Friday or sooner. Thank you all for the encouragement and all the positive post. Reading everyone's post is an inspiration to us all.

With the band you still have to work at it. The band does not stop you from eating ice cream or other non healthy foods, only you can do that. It does make you eat less and smaller bites because there is nothing like getting stuck. The one thing I didn't know is that your gallbladder will eventually have to be removed if you still have yours, and it may be that way with any gastric surgery for weightloss.

Didn't know the gallbladder will still have to come out. Why is that?

Wished I knew, but after mine was removed at the beginning of the year my Dr told me it was very common.

Anything worth having and worth doing is going to be hard at times. I was banded on Aug 7th of this year, and I have not once regretted it. It was the best decision I ever made. I am down 47 lbs in less than 4 months. I do SOMETIMES still have cravings, but it's not bad. I gave up pop/soda 2 weeks prior to surgery. That was hard at first, but once I got over the withdrawal of it, I no longer crave it at all. I RARELY have sweets, just on occasions as a treat. I am still not feeling restriction after 4 fills, but I just make sure to stick to my portions and to make HEALTHY food choices.

It's not always easy. I have bad days where I eat too much or something I shouldn't have, but those days are not the norm. To be honest, life after the band is much easier than I was expecting it to be!

Hi I'm been banded two years and I do have problems with junk food also.Today I promised myself to get back on track I would also like a copy.Here's my email maryjaja27@hotmail.com thank you

I am SO happy that others are finding help and resources in this post. Everyone's input is incredible! I feel like this is much more useful for me than anything else. I love hearing your open honest opinions and experiences with the band.. this is great! I have my first appointment in a few weeks, and I'm hoping i can get the ball rolling. From what i've read, the pre diets are the hardest for the most part.. I hope I can do it! I am a little scared, but I can't let it stop me.

Another question- how did you all know that you've had enough food when you first got banded? I'm scared that because of my poor eating habits now, I will not be mentally aware that I am full and then I'll get sick.

I stop when I have a cup of food. I might not feel satisfied completely at that point, but it's what I have made myself get used to doing. At times I will have a bit more, but for the most part I just stop at one cup of food.

Yea I was wondering that too. I am afraid I wont know when I have had enough to eat. And the pre-op diet scares me too.

I'm having my lap band tomorrow at 930 am. Wondering how long it usually takes to get it done ?

The procedure is only like 45 minutes, but then there's the pre work and recovery

I agree this is a great thread. Congrats on deciding to be banded. I also agree the preop part was the hardest. I had to do one months worth and by the end I would be gagging just preparing my liquid meal but I stuck to it as I was determined to make the change and follow my surgeons instructions and prepare for the journey ahead. Since being banded I have not had one Protein replacement meal and told my surgeon if I have to have any post op I just couldn't as they would make me ill. I didn't worry so much about protein requirements on my liquid/mushie stages, I just made sure I stayed hydrated as I wasn't hungry for the first three to four weeks, once I started on solids then I was strict on getting the required amount if protein every day.

Until you get to the greenzone you'll have to muster up all your will power and determination to stay within the amount of one cup per meal or spread that meal out over a few hours. Some days were hard but I kept myself really busy doing other things.

You need to stop eating at the twenty minute mark because that's when you reach satiety and that's what we aim for now not the full feeling like in the past. Satiety is when the hunger feeling has gone away, it gets much easier as you get closer and hit the greenzone. Up until you hit the greenzone is the time to put all the new rules into practice, it doesn't happen overnight but with persistence it will eventually become second nature.

With the band since I started the whole process including pre op and a few extra pounds before my liquid diet I've dropped 80 pounds. Yesterday I took my daughter and a friend to a clothing warehouse, normal size clothing. I found one top in large, it was a looser type style and in my head I was like there is no way I will fit into it but I'm going to buy a large and keep it till I can wear it, it was too good of a bargain to pass up. I tried it on when I got home and I nearly fell over backwards, it was huge on me, lol. Ill be able to take it in but I am so used to buying from large women's stores that I haven't realised I can go to normal stores now and fit into some of those clothes.

There are ups and downs with the band, there are weeks if total frustration at times but if you keep chugging along its so so much easier than not having the band. Best decision I've made regarding weightloss and keeping it off. I can easily walk an hour and not feel like Im dying at the end of it too these days. Love the feeling of feeling lighter and being able to move around quickly without my body creaking constantly.