Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Honest- Is Banded Life Hard?

I am going yo schedule my surgery date tomorrow but now I am contemplating between the band as the sleeve. I am so scared that I will fail on the band because if lack of willpower... I've failed on very other diet attempt' date=' so how will this be any different? Is this a normal feeling? I'm torn and lost..[/quote']

Very normal. I'm still scared I'll fail because the band is not a magic cure, for sure, and I have to bust my ass for every pound.

BUT the sleeve is not a magic cure either. A lady I work with told me she had it the other day and I was shocked because she weighs over 400 lbs. Every weight loss surgery can fail. It is hard, but even this soon I have seen some benefits.

Good luck!

I was banded August 2009 and lost maybe 20 despite constantly throwing up. We were constantly readjusting the band. My surgeon finally said he made a mistake with me and should have recommended a gastric bypass. My primary care physician suggested opening the band so as not to be constantly throwing up. It go to the point Soup was about the only thing I could eat and my surgeon said it was the worst thing I could eat. After two years the band was opened and I am back to going from diet to diet. I am now down ten pounds from the weight where I got the lapband implanted. My primary care physician told me afterwards that most of his patients who get the lapband are not successful in the long run. I am glad for those who are but my whole health took a plunge since surgery. No way would I do it if I knew what I know now.

It is the BEST thing I have ever done for myself! I can generally eat anything I want - but I am satisfied with much smaller portions. Because I don't make any foods "off limits", I never feel deprived.

It is the BEST thing I have ever done for myself! I can generally eat anything I want - but I am satisfied with much smaller portions. Because I don't make any foods "off limits"' date=' I never feel deprived.[/quote']

I am glad for you :)

The procedure was sold to me as you are saying. I tried my best to follow my Water intake, Protein Shakes and foods off their list. My problem was that I was constantly throwing up stingy meats like chicken, lettuce and almost anything you couldn't grind down to powder consistency with my teeth. I did not throw up Soups like Tomato or chicken Soup or mashed food like mashed potatoes. When my weight loss stalled at about 20 pounds I was told soup was bad for me - too much sodium. We played with adjustments about once every 6 weeks. Not what I was expecting. I have three doctors in the family who suggested I involve my primary care physician after a year and a half to have my band opened up. My HMR diet place in town just closed its doors and I am going back to weight watchers. My gastric surgeon said I should have had a gastric bypass and not the lap band. I would not do it again if I knew my results would be this poor.

Oh boy! I'm so sorry for your struggles! I hope that you are doing better now that you got your band opened up. Thank you everyone for your advice and stories. I think I am losing sight because someone I knew just got the sleeve done and lost 32 lbs the first month... I think I got caught up in that awesome weight loss. I think I'm going to stick with the band.. I truly don't like the thought of my stomach being cut off forever.. and gastric bypass scares me. I know two people who have had terrible complications from it.

Thank you all for your shoulders and ears :)

Hi, I have had my band for 4 years, lost over 100 pounds and stayed at goal which helped me to have 2 babies so had total unfits then put some back on which is why I have rejoined the forum. My best piece of advice is to give yourself a year to be completely in tune with your band, I'm not really talking about weight loss as you will be losing loads of weight during this time. I mean learning what you can eat and how much, going through periods when your band is too tight/ not tight enough. Times when your weight plateaus, or losing really well and then suddenly nothing for no reason. Listening to other people's struggles or frustrations or comparing yourself to their journey. But please STICK WITH it. Alot of people say they don't like their band because they can't eat anything/certain things/ can still drink milkshakes/ have some reflux/ sometimes throw up ( and if of course there are some extreme cases of this) and say that people should not have to live like that. But if you play it right, be relaxed with it and listen to your body ( because it's your body and your band that make the rules, not what other people or even your doctor says you should or shouldn't be able to do) eventually you won't remember or know how to live any other way. You won't use food to make yourself happy an you will probably rather go for a Run than attemp to eat a whole family bag of chips. You will be able o go out with your friends for dinner and have a small amount of something you love, a glass of wine and maybe share a desser because you will have learnt to eat like a thin person. Good luck xx

I was banded 11-19-12 down 27 lbs and loving it. I don't find it terribly hard. Just mentally adjusting and I feel like I'm hitting my stride. I'm learning how to prepare and eat healthy. Which I thought would be hard with a husband and kids but I have everyone on a health kick including the dog!

I have found this forum to be a life line for me (and I mostly read) very seldom do I respond but it has been a wealth of information. And it's nice to know there are people out there dealing with the same issues and have great insight.

Going for my next fill in a day and looking forward to the additional restriction. I have been tracking everything and it has really help me stay in line.

Some might think 27lbs in roughly a month in a half is not that big of a deal but I made it through the holidays without hurting my new sidekick (the band). :-) all the best!!!

I was banded 11-19-12 down 27 lbs and loving it. I don't find it terribly hard. Just mentally adjusting and I feel like I'm hitting my stride. I'm learning how to prepare and eat healthy. Which I thought would be hard with a husband and kids but I have everyone on a health kick including the dog!

I have found this forum to be a life line for me (and I mostly read) very seldom do I respond but it has been a wealth of information. And it's nice to know there are people out there dealing with the same issues and have great insight.

Going for my next fill in a day and looking forward to the additional restriction. I have been tracking everything and it has really help me stay in line.

Some might think 27lbs in roughly a month in a half is not that big of a deal but I made it through the holidays without hurting my new sidekick (the band). :-) all the best!!!

27lbs is awesome!! I also love reading about how people are dealing with life with the band. I can't wait to get it done!

27lbs is awesome!! I also love reading about how people are dealing with life with the band. I can't wait to get it done!

You can read my journey on Jan 2013 bandsters unite if you want. It's on page 26. Day 13 post op for me

Yes it is hard! I am 5 tears after lap band. I have cravings everyday of my life. I still can't figure out what will go down and what won't. The same foods cause different reactions...no consistency. I also had one emergency surgery and had a replacement lap band.

With all that, I can say that the lap band is a gift. I no longer hate myself every day. I have clothes I love and feel good in. I would do it again in a flash and have NO regrets.

Best of luck to you. I wish you much happiness in your life.

Yes it is hard! I am 5 tears after lap band. I have cravings everyday of my life. I still can't figure out what will go down and what won't. The same foods cause different reactions...no consistency. I also had one emergency surgery and had a replacement lap band.

With all that' date=' I can say that the lap band is a gift. I no longer hate myself every day. I have clothes I love and feel good in. I would do it again in a flash and have NO regrets.

Best of luck to you. I wish you much happiness in your life.[/quote']

I appreciate your honesty! I'm sure the pros outweigh the cons and I am so ready for it! Thank you very much!