Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Honest- Is Banded Life Hard?

The hardest part for me was the pre op diet, I had to do a months worth, I wasn't perfect and ate a couple of things that weren't on my list but I was 90% compliant. I still managed to loose over 20 pounds in those four weeks.

There were a few days of struggling after the band in relation to mourning food and feeling sorry for myself and days of crying till I worked out why I was so emotional. There were weeks of constantly feeling hungry till I got to the greenzone but it was manageable, I just kept myself busy and stuck to my instructions but a few times I ate more than I was supposed to but with the right foods not junk food.

I'm just over four months banded, my obsession with food has gone, I eat healthy now with the occasional treat, my cravings have gone, my tiredness has disappeared, my confidence levels are returning, I'm sleeping really well, was snoring a lot pre band, I wake up refreshed and full of energy. And the best thing is that in the past after having lost weight if I hit a plateau or got frustrated I'd be back to my old eating habits and put all the weight back in plus some, then do it all again. Now if I get to that stage I'm more determined to break the plateau and work harder to keep loosing. Being in the greenzone, not having constant hunger makes this so easy. If I don't go to the supermarket with a shopping list I walk around the aisles not putting anything into my trolley as nothing interests me.

There are ups and downs at the beginning but if you be honest with your surgeon/care team they help you work things out.

I've been lucky as I've had no issues but unfortunately some people do.

My only regret is not doing this years earlier.

The band is making weightloss so much easier for me. I eat when I'm hungry and don't think about food till I'm hungry again and these days that's anywhere between 5 to 6 hours.

My advice is educate yourself, ask a million and one questions and make sure you understand all your instructions because that part can be daunting initially.

Life with the band is good!

I echo what others have said. The most difficult was the preop liquid diet. It was sheer will power. If you follow the directions given to you by your doctor - eat small bites, chew to nearly liquid, eat Protein first, make good choices - bandster living is not hard at all.

I feel so much better now than I did before. This is the first year in my adult life that I weigh less than I did the year before. I was a champ at losing 30 to 40 lbs and regaining the weight and more. It was an annual event. The band makes losing weight easier and keeping weight off possible.

It can be difficult living with the band but only when I "forget" to follow the rules.

On the other hand, it was much more difficult living as a morbidly obese person with little energy to do the normal daily activities of life. Now, if I DON"T exercise to start my day, I feel as if I am missing out. Not guilty, but missing out!

I love that I can cycle 120km in a day, swim laps for an hour, walk forever, dance all night long. I love that I can choose cute clothes, swap shoes with girlfriends because my feet aren't too fat any more.

I would much rather live with my band than exist without it.

I'm writing this from my bathroom floor, as I spit slime into the toilet every couple of seconds, trying not to throw up... Do I regret the surgery? Not one bit!!! Do I regret trying to eat mango half asleep while still in the mushy phase after a fill? You bet! Changing any old habit is hard, and stopping the midnight snacking machine seems to be the hardest, because I keep forgetting!! But eventually I will learn!!

I'm writing this from my bathroom floor' date=' as I spit slime into the toilet every couple of seconds, trying not to throw up... Do I regret the surgery? Not one bit!!! Do I regret trying to eat mango half asleep while still in the mushy phase after a fill? You bet! Changing any old habit is hard, and stopping the midnight snacking machine seems to be the hardest, because I keep forgetting!! But eventually I will learn!!

[/quote']

Oh no!!!! I hope you are feeling/doing better now! I'm happy to know that even in that moment you still don't regret doing it!! Thank you!

This is going to sound horrible and I am totally embarrassed but here goes:

I was banded in March 2011. I followed a pre surgery liquid diet and was supposed to drink Protein shakes for a full month after the surgery. Yeah, right. I ate at my birthday party April 1. I got back on track and started working out and lost 30 pounds. I lost my job in June so when I went for my second fill I had not lost a single pound. I have found every way possible to circumvent this band. I wish I had never gotten it in the first place because my issues and addiction to food needed to be dealt with first. I had my lapband done in San Diego and now live in Indiana. I am trying to find a doctor who will see me as I am having so much acid indigestion I could just cry. I'm pretty sure my band has slipped and I have no medical insurance. Please please think long and hard about the band. If you have any mental food issues like I have then this band is not for you. I would not wish this on anyone!! Good luck!

Yes it's hard, it's also very easy. If you commit to the change in lifestyle and follow the rules it's easy.

What was harder was the road i was on before my band.....I was killing myself.

I'm almost 8 weeks post op. I'm SOOOOOOO glad I have been banded. It took me 2 years to make the decision. I looked into 3 different doctors before finding the one I was comfortable with.

My insurance required a 6 month supervised nutrition plan. I jumped through ALL their hoops and was banded. So far I've lost 27 lbs. my goal is 85 lbs. starting weight 252 current weight 225...I'm 5' 8

It's been the best decision I've made for my body ESP after having 4 kids in 7 years!

Honestly?? The hardest part was the 2 week liquid diet through the one month after surgery (healing and adjusting to new diet). It really hasn't been hard since then. It gets complicated sometimes, going out to restaurants and stuff, but I figured it out pretty quick. You will learn by process of elimination what you can and can not eat, which is different for everyone. I wanted this so bad for so long I just kind of adjusted into it and have been pretty successful. =) You can't look at it like you are going to be on a life long diet. You are changing your lifestyle all together and keeping it that way. Once you find what works for you, that's what you do. My advice would be 1) Take a lot of pics! You want to be able to look back and see what you have done. 2) Don't try to be perfect and not eat sweets or other "bad" stuff, like pizza. I have not deprived myself of that stuff and have still lost 88lbs. I just get thin crust and I only can eat half a slice. I, honestly, eat ice cream at least once a week. I just go for half the amount and stick with fat/sugar free and no toppings if at all possible. =)

You will learn what is best or you! Good luck.

Yes it's hard, it's also very easy. If you commit to the change in lifestyle and follow the rules it's easy.

This hits the nail on the head. If you follow the rules, it's the easiest thing in the world!!!

The challenge will be, if you're anything like me, managing your rebellious streak! I don't WANT to follow rules. I don't LIKE following rules. And I'm finding that I'm achingly addicted to food and find it very difficult to tolerate the absence. That said, I'm on track much more than I'm off track. And when I'm off track, the band prevents me from doing the kind of damage I would do pre-band.

Overall, I love this thing and would have gotten it years ago had I known how easy it would be. But right now, at this moment in time, I'm having a very hard time of it. My brain isn't in it as much as it has been, and I'm fighting with myself to follow the rules.

Do you guys find it hard to follow the rules? I'm scared I will lose willpower and start binge eating like I do when in dieting now.

Do you guys find it hard to follow the rules? I'm scared I will lose willpower and start binge eating like I do when in dieting now.

Its not hard to follow the rules. You will slip up, make mistakes, every now and then. We all do, we are human. You don't have to be perfect in order to succeed. But you do have to be determined to succeed. The hardest part of this whole journey is the head. The band doesn't stop the head games.... That has to come from you.

Good luck.

Im going to be very honest here. For me its been a bit rough starting out. I was banded 10/10. I also had 2 hernias repaired at the same time. If you have family its challenging. You watch others eat while you work through each eating stage. It was hard socially too. The diets not easy. I thought it was tough. But would i do it again? Heck Yes! I've lost 30 lbs. starting to feel better clothes looser. Yes I def would. Get into A good support group too. Didnt help we had hurricane sandy hit hard here. Go in with eyes wide open. You'll do fine