Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Need Of Help With What To Eat

I am hoping so of you more seasoned lap ganders can help me out here.... I was banded 2 weeks ago and an start today eating deli meats, Soups, bananna's,tuna fish and chicken along with other liquids. My issue is I don't know when to eat how much to eat what are the best things to eat. No one really explained this and I feel like I am eating the wrong things and not losing anymore weight. I feel like I have no restriction and can eat the same as I could before and I am getting worried that this process is not going to work. Any advise would be appricated. I feel like the doctors throw these list of food for you to eat but not really explain the process.....

You probably do not have any restriction and will not for a few months until you have had a fill or 2 or 3 or 4. You do need to start eating like a banded person. No more than 1 cup or 8oz per meal, 3 meals per day with 2-3 Snacks of no more than 3-4oz per snack. You should eat 70g of Protein, and at meals eat your Protein first, followed by veggies and then carbs if you are still hungry. You should not be drinking your meals/protein. Right now you can probably eat the same as you did before, but you really have to try to stick with 1 cup. Get your protein in as that will make you feel full. Weigh and measure everything that goes in and track it.

I would also call your clinic and let them know you are finding it challanging and perhaps speak with a nutritionist.

I'm not quite a seasoned lap bander, in fact, I'm still a newbie! However, my surgeon is very informative and his practice has support groups, nutrition groups, etc. The nutritionist even takes us to the grocery store to teach us how to shop healthy and out to dinner to assist us with implementing our new dietary lifestyle! Anyway, here is what I can share with you based on my personal experience: (It will vary a little from patient to patient as not all doctors advise the same exact post op instructions)

The first two weeks after surgery I was on a full liquid diet. From 2-4 weeks post op, it was mushy foods only. This meant foods blended in a blender or foods that were of baby food consistency. Scrambled eggs were allowed at this point as well. From the four week point, I could begin eating soft solids and begin transitioning to regular foods. I was instructed to eat bites no larger than the size of one die, and to eat three times a day with no Snacks in between or if I really felt the need to snack, two Snacks per day, one between Breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner but no more than 100 calories per snack. Portion Control was stressed. It was suggested to eat no more than one cup of food total per meal. This was to be broken down into Protein first, then fruits and vegetables, then a starch. Protein, such as chicken for example, should be no more than 3 oz. total. I was advised to weigh my food, and to eat small portions very slowly while chewing at least 15-20 times before swallowing. No liquids from the moment the food touches my lips until two hours after I eat. After the two hour point, I can drink as much as I want until the next bite of food touches my lips at the next meal.

No carbonated beverages and limited or no caffeine. I was told to drink at least 8 8oz. glasses of Water per day. No juices or sugary drinks. Skim milk only as far as milk is concerned. I was advised to eat at least 50g of protein and to take a mulitivitamin (chewable) and viactiv with Calcium (one or two per day but not taken at the same time because your body can only absorb so much at once).

I was advised to make sure my chicken or any other meat for that matter, was very moist so as to limit the risk of getting stuck. I was advised to stay away from asparagus, the stringy part of oranges (the pith as it is called), breads, unless they are very thin and toasted such as weight watchers wheat bread, and to avoid slider foods which are foods that slide down easily and are unhealthy (ice cream, full fat puddings, etc.) I was advised to make healthy, low fat choices, to stay around 1200 calories per day and to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.

I hope this helps, but if you want more specifics, I would be happy to share particular foods that were recommended to me. I also have to mention the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. (www.unjury.com) I have at least one shake a day, usually for Breakfast when my band is tightest, to meet my daily protein goal. One scoop of vanilla Unjury with a cup of skim milk and ice. I often blend a banana in as well. It is delicious and one scoop of Protein Powder contains 21g of protein.

Finally, I did not feel restriction two weeks out either. It usually takes a few fills to find the right restriction, but for others, fills aren't even necessary as they feel enough restriction with just the band. It is totally an individualized thing. You'll figure out what's right for you. I would suggest keeping to the portion sizes and dietary guidelines, even if you don't feel restriction. Otherwise, what's the point, right! I would also suggest finding some support groups for lap band patients if not a doctor and/or lap band nutritionist who can guide you in the right direction. Post op support is so very important as there are bound to be questions and concerns that will arise, and simply to help keep you on track. Good luck!

I'm not quite a seasoned lap bander' date=' in fact, I'm still a newbie! However, my surgeon is very informative and his practice has support groups, nutrition groups, etc. The nutritionist even takes us to the grocery store to teach us how to shop healthy and out to dinner to assist us with implementing our new dietary lifestyle! Anyway, here is what I can share with you based on my personal experience: (It will vary a little from patient to patient as not all doctors advise the same exact post op instructions)

The first two weeks after surgery I was on a full liquid diet. From 2-4 weeks post op, it was mushy foods only. This meant foods blended in a blender or foods that were of baby food consistency. Scrambled eggs were allowed at this point as well. From the four week point, I could begin eating soft solids and begin transitioning to regular foods. I was instructed to eat bites no larger than the size of one die, and to eat three times a day with no Snacks in between or if I really felt the need to snack, two Snacks per day, one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner but no more than 100 calories per snack. Portion Control was stressed. It was suggested to eat no more than one cup of food total per meal. This was to be broken down into Protein first, then fruits and vegetables, then a starch. Protein, such as chicken for example, should be no more than 3 oz. total. I was advised to weigh my food, and to eat small portions very slowly while chewing at least 15-20 times before swallowing. No liquids from the moment the food touches my lips until two hours after I eat. After the two hour point, I can drink as much as I want until the next bite of food touches my lips at the next meal.

No carbonated beverages and limited or no caffeine. I was told to drink at least 8 8oz. glasses of Water per day. No juices or sugary drinks. Skim milk only as far as milk is concerned. I was advised to eat at least 50g of protein and to take a mulitivitamin (chewable) and viactiv with Calcium (one or two per day but not taken at the same time because your body can only absorb so much at once).

I was advised to make sure my chicken or any other meat for that matter, was very moist so as to limit the risk of getting stuck. I was advised to stay away from asparagus, the stringy part of oranges (the pith as it is called), breads, unless they are very thin and toasted such as weight watchers wheat bread, and to avoid slider foods which are foods that slide down easily and are unhealthy (ice cream, full fat puddings, etc.) I was advised to make healthy, low fat choices, to stay around 1200 calories per day and to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.

I hope this helps, but if you want more specifics, I would be happy to share particular foods that were recommended to me. I also have to mention the unjury protein powder. (www.unjury.com) I have at least one shake a day, usually for breakfast when my band is tightest, to meet my daily protein goal. One scoop of vanilla Unjury with a cup of skim milk and ice. I often blend a banana in as well. It is delicious and one scoop of protein powder contains 21g of protein.

Finally, I did not feel restriction two weeks out either. It usually takes a few fills to find the right restriction, but for others, fills aren't even necessary as they feel enough restriction with just the band. It is totally an individualized thing. You'll figure out what's right for you. I would suggest keeping to the portion sizes and dietary guidelines, even if you don't feel restriction. Otherwise, what's the point, right! I would also suggest finding some support groups for lap band patients if not a doctor and/or lap band nutritionist who can guide you in the right direction. Post op support is so very important as there are bound to be questions and concerns that will arise, and simply to help keep you on track. Good luck![/quote']

Sounds like we go to the same bariatric center. I only have to wait 1hr for drink.lol

I'm not quite a seasoned lap bander' date=' in fact, I'm still a newbie! However, my surgeon is very informative and his practice has support groups, nutrition groups, etc. The nutritionist even takes us to the grocery store to teach us how to shop healthy and out to dinner to assist us with implementing our new dietary lifestyle! Anyway, here is what I can share with you based on my personal experience: (It will vary a little from patient to patient as not all doctors advise the same exact post op instructions)

The first two weeks after surgery I was on a full liquid diet. From 2-4 weeks post op, it was mushy foods only. This meant foods blended in a blender or foods that were of baby food consistency. Scrambled eggs were allowed at this point as well. From the four week point, I could begin eating soft solids and begin transitioning to regular foods. I was instructed to eat bites no larger than the size of one die, and to eat three times a day with no Snacks in between or if I really felt the need to snack, two Snacks per day, one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner but no more than 100 calories per snack. Portion Control was stressed. It was suggested to eat no more than one cup of food total per meal. This was to be broken down into Protein first, then fruits and vegetables, then a starch. Protein, such as chicken for example, should be no more than 3 oz. total. I was advised to weigh my food, and to eat small portions very slowly while chewing at least 15-20 times before swallowing. No liquids from the moment the food touches my lips until two hours after I eat. After the two hour point, I can drink as much as I want until the next bite of food touches my lips at the next meal.

I hope this helps, but if you want more specifics, I would be happy to share particular foods that were recommended to me. I also have to mention the unjury protein powder. (www.unjury.com) I have at least one shake a day, usually for breakfast when my band is tightest, to meet my daily protein goal. One scoop of vanilla Unjury with a cup of skim milk and ice. I often blend a banana in as well. It is delicious and one scoop of protein powder contains 21g of protein.

Finally, I did not feel restriction two weeks out either. It usually takes a few fills to find the right restriction, but for others, fills aren't even necessary as they feel enough restriction with just the band. It is totally an individualized thing. You'll figure out what's right for you. I would suggest keeping to the portion sizes and dietary guidelines, even if you don't feel restriction. Otherwise, what's the point, right! I would also suggest finding some support groups for lap band patients if not a doctor and/or lap band nutritionist who can guide you in the right direction. Post op support is so very important as there are bound to be questions and concerns that will arise, and simply to help keep you on track. Good luck![/quote']

I would love a list of specific foods that were recommended. I was banded in July and lost 60 pounds but this week was the hardest for me. I'm in NJ and had no power for 7 days so I really need to get my body back on track. And since I need to replenish persishible foods, I would love a shopping list. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all so much for your advise. I just feel this part is so hard especially the beginning not feel restricted. I am going to order some of those shakes as I have tried so many and none seem to taste all that good. I would love to hear doe of the specific foods tat were recommend to you. Thanks again all gor your help.

It is important to get your Protein in first. This will help with hunger management as well as help with energy and sugar balance. Fruits and vegetables should come next and they are important for antioxidants and to boost the immune system. Whole grains and starches come last, and they are a good source of Vitamins, minerals and Fiber. Soy based products are great too.

For Protein, chicken, fish, lean red meat but juicy (so marinades work great, just watch the sodium and go for low sodium marinades if possible), low fat cottage cheese, eggs - preferably egg whites, but no more than 3 whole eggs per week unless you use egg beaters, low fat deli cheese, greek yogurt or lite yogurt, etc. Peanut Butter is a great choice too in moderation. My nutritionist recommmended the Teddy brand of Peanut Butter as it is made from only nuts and no other ingredients, so it is healthier. Almonds are a great snack too.

For a whole grain snack or to go with cottage cheese, the Ak Mak crackers (whole wheat sesame crackers) are delicious and crunchy. There are five to one serving so it fills you up. Laughing cow light swiss cheese is yummy spread on the Ak Mak crackers too. WASA crackers are another healthy choice. Soy crisps (I love the sea salt) are a great snack choice too and there is 8g of protein in 21 crisps.

As far as vegetables and fruits go - just take the skins off of fruits such as apples, grapes, plums, etc., as they tend to get stuck. Be careful of stringy vegetables (celery, asparagus, etc.), but most veges are great and can be chopped in stir fry (try to eat the chicken or protein first), and can be eaten raw (even better), or in salad. For starch, sweet potato is preferable over white potato. Edamame is a great source of protein and is fun to eat too, especially if you pull the pea pods out yourself. Rice is known to get stuck, but quinoa is a great alternative and there are a lot of good recipes out there that use quinoa.

Oh, and there are a lot of great recipes right here on lap band talk! Check out the food and recipes forum. There are many quick crock pot or slow cooker recipes too - chicken dishes, chili recipes, etc...

Good luck!

Well you have to be careful with deli meat because it is high in sodium thus causing you to retain Water. I ate cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tuna salad, chicken salad, tofu, endamame, lentils cooked with seasoning, black Beans, you have to get creative. Find some recipes you can do this. Im a vegan now so I cant say that I still eat those things but when I was first banded those were my do's on that stage. I do stil eat tuna once in a while when I feel the mood to do so. I also like egg salad.

Well you have to be careful with deli meat because it is high in sodium thus causing you to retain Water. I ate cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tuna salad, chicken salad, tofu, endamame, lentils cooked with seasoning, black Beans, you have to get creative. Find some recipes you can do this. Im a vegan now so I cant say that I still eat those things but when I was first banded those were my do's on that stage. I do stil eat tuna once in a while when I feel the mood to do so. I also like egg salad.

I love egg salad too, but haven't had it since I've been banded. How do you prepare it? Is there a particular brand of low fat mayo you use? I think I've hesitated because I haven't really liked the low fat mayo's I've tried in the past, but now that I've been eating healthy, maybe I should give it a shot again!

I do not use low fat mayo. It is important to have some healthy fats in your diet so I use Kraft I think it is made with olive oil. I put some no added sugar relish, some baco's a few and sometimes onions. Of course you can't eat a ton because it is a lot of fat between the eggs and the mayo but that is one thing I refuse to eat low fat. As time goes on you will see you can use things that you think you can't. If you want to use fat free or reduced fat then I would definitely go with a name brand such as kraft or hellmans. I eat cottage cheese too but that is low fat or fat free.

I usually only use two eggs that way I can't over do it lol

Wants wrong with using egg beater brand eggs.Rather using regular eggs? You get more Protein out of the egg beaters and less fat and cholesterol

For egg salad? Eww no way. There is nothing wrong with eating regular eggs. You can use the egg whites if you want instead of the whole egg. There are just some things that I will not compromise on lol

The first two weeks after surgery I was on a full liquid diet. From 2-4 weeks post op, it was mushy foods only. This meant foods blended in a blender or foods that were of baby food consistency. Scrambled eggs were allowed at this point as well. From the four week point, I could begin eating soft solids and begin transitioning to regular foods. I was instructed to eat bites no larger than the size of one die, and to eat three times a day with no Snacks in between or if I really felt the need to snack, two Snacks per day, one between Breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner but no more than 100 calories per snack. Portion Control was stressed. It was suggested to eat no more than one cup of food total per meal. This was to be broken down into Protein first, then fruits and vegetables, then a starch. Protein, such as chicken for example, should be no more than 3 oz. total. I was advised to weigh my food, and to eat small portions very slowly while chewing at least 15-20 times before swallowing. No liquids from the moment the food touches my lips until two hours after I eat. After the two hour point, I can drink as much as I want until the next bite of food touches my lips at the next meal.

I hope this helps, but if you want more specifics, I would be happy to share particular foods that were recommended to me. I also have to mention the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. (www.unjury.com) I have at least one shake a day, usually for breakfast when my band is tightest, to meet my daily protein goal. One scoop of vanilla Unjury with a cup of skim milk and ice. I often blend a banana in as well. It is delicious and one scoop of protein powder contains 21g of protein.

Great Advice. My dr said basically the same. It helped me a lot reading your post to remind me if everything. I was banded 10/10 and am at the "mushie " stage. Down 26 pounds