Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrows op day,excited but nervous,my 13yr old son begged me not to have it hes so worried i'll die,bless him, i do get angry with myself for getting so fat then risking my life to put it right:( did anyone else have these concerns??

Ur not going to die ur going to come out like flying colors just sore but after that u be good

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

In my case, I was going to die if I didn't have the surgery. My PCP agreed that the chances of dying from obesity far out weighed the risk of surgery.

You'll be fine. Nerves before surgery is normal.

I'm 3wks out today ans already feel so much better about myself.

The band is hard work, so be prepared.

Don't forget Chapstick tomorrow!

How exciting! You have probably waiting for this a long time. Everything will be fine and you have a wonderful New Year ahead of you. Keep in touch. There are some amazing inspiring people on this site. Pop in anytime if you have any questions or conerns.

Take Care,

Helen

My thoughts & prayers are with you!

you know what, my mind wanted to play tricks with me about the risks. but i played back...no you will not die. i have a 5 year old son who i explained about the surgery and mind you he does not know much about dieing, but i expaining that i was going to have a booboo on my tummy but that the doctor was going to help me get better soon. to this he answered mommy so your tummy will get smaller and smaller and you can play with me and you won't have a hard time getting up from the floor?

this booboo story might not apply to your 13 yr old son but, i think if you mention the pros to your son he will bettter understand and will look forward to when you come home for recovery. i found that boys can be nuturing to their mommies too.

now adays, surgeries are not what they used to be...starting with the huge inscions now they are so small.

this soon will pass. stay strong and i will keep you in my prayers. hope to see you on the other side- post op :)

My surgery is the 12th and I have had m nets where I talk myself out of it but then I remember I am doing this to be healthy and be a better mother. My daughter is 3 and I want to be able to enjoy her and keep up with her.

Tell your son you will not die. My 39 year old daughter reacted the same way a year ago, and I am still here and healthier! Good luck on your surgery and come back often and let us know your concerns and progress! Cheers!

You will be fine!

Take it one day at a time.

Here's some advice and helpful hints I give to new bandsters...

I’ve been banded just over 6 years and have talked about this here a couple of time but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.

Back when I was banded my doctor suggested something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.

Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.

The second book is:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler

Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Take tiny bites and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.

When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended two coffee groups for people that were banded. These things really kept me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

My six year old was very upset the night before our surgery (husband and I same day banded) but I think she really didn't understand what was happening. I think kids worry by nature especially when it's "MOM". Just keep reminding your child how much healthier you will be and how much more you will be able to do with them. I tell mine I want to be here when she gets married and has her own kids (to which she says, she's not and ever leaving home).

It is natural to be nervous and question what are you doing? I did, up until the last second! In fact, the doctor and staff laughed at me because when we got that that morning they figured I would go first but I was in "mommy" mode and had it all figured out... I had my husband go first for the reason that if something happened then I would not proceed so I would be here for our child. I would not let them start my IV or anything UNTIL I knew that he was in post op and out of the woods.... Needless to say, everything was just awesome and we are both banded and onto a happier, healthier life!

You will do great tomorrow... welcome to the other side!

To add my comment to the wonderful posts... You are not going to die. Explain to your son that is is very routine surgery and nothing for him to worry about. My then 26 y/o daughter had similar feelings and I told her that I was a walking timebomb in my current state of a 55 BMI and that if I didn't have the surgery I would die sooner then later. I also showed her a YouTube video of the surgery the dr gave me. It was minus the gory details. Once she understood what they were doi g she was ok...for the most part.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments,bless you,its 10 am been at hospital since 7!!! Just found out im last on list:((