Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning! So I attended the seminar last night and really found it not very helpful. I think I learned more through my own research online and on this forum.

I did find one thing rather discouraging? Upsetting? Something? The surgeon who led the seminar, and he does not actually do the lap-band...a different surgeon does, he said he does not like the lap-band, does not recommend it, and that his partner, the one that does the lap-band, doesn't recommend it either. I found this very weird. This particular surgeon was ALL about the duodenal switch.

So, I guess my question is....why did you all pick the lap-band? I know why I am. I want a life change, I want to have to change my lifestyle and work for the weight loss. I know if I did gastric, the sleeve or the switch I wouldn't change the behavior that got me here in the first place.

Thanks for listening to me ramble :wub:

If none of the doctors in the practice like the band find anothe office! Is the duadenal switch bypass? If so it could be they are more a surgery and done type office. The band takes a lot more aftercare.

That is all my clinic do is barictic surgery of all kind and they do anyone you want and that is appropate. I think it depends on the anount of weight you want o loss I wanted 100 lbs off so the bsnd seemed the best one for me.

Check in another place if nothing else just to compare and find what is right for you.

line dancer

Looks like you didn't find the right bariatric surgeons! Keep searching there are TONS of very very good Bariatric Surgeons all over the country, in your area. You can do a search starting with your state, approximity from your city. I travel 45 mins to my surgeon (well worth it) and just in the state of NJ alone there are hundreds. I did research on my surgeon, his years in practice, education, etc. I also attended his seminar and was sold right there!

I honestly feel once a Bariatric surgeon tries to 'steer' you in one direction, you need to move on.... Keep an open mind that yes, you are going to be asked why you 'choose' to have the lapband over others, this is very normal amongst surgeons, why? Because they want to make sure you have a better understanding of the surgery and aftercare...

Don't give up, this is your body and health, keep searching!

I think part of the problem was not having the other surgeon, Dr. Coirin, there. I have researched the one who would perform the lap-band and he gets excellent reviews. He even gets excellent reviews on LapBandTalk. I just got a really unpleasant impression from his partner, Dr. Coates.

I'm moving forward and setting my consultation with Dr. Coirin.

I picked this because i want accountability for my actions. My friend had the bypass like 10 yrs ago and has gained at least half of her weight back because she didn't change her life style. It saved her life and she is alot healthier but she still gained it back. I don't want that. I want something that forces me to do the work and to keep doing the work. I don't to spend all this money and still be fat. This is a life commitment for me.

And as silly as this sounds, I need a cocktail from time to time and it's my understanding that you aren't supposed to drink after the bypass...

The bypass is changing part of your anatomy by removing part of the stomach and other stuff too. The band isn't. It can be removed if needed.

These are my reasons.

You should find a doctor who is supportive of your decision. You don't want to be second guessing yourself because of your doctor.

Good luck!

I picked the band because I liked the idea of it being a tool for accountability when I reach my goal and it did not alter my body's systems like bypass does.

The band will help you lose obviously but I am more interested in keeping the weight off... which the band will allow me to do.

When you do meet with the partner, I would definitely share what happened. No surgeon should be hosting a seminar to not recommend it. I don't know anything about the switch so I cannot speak to that.

I chose the band because I wanted something that was minimally invasive (I am rather fond of my intestines and would like to keep them in tact). ;-) Also, I wanted something where I could still eat essentially any foods just in moderation. Lastly, my mother had gastric bypass a few years ago. She went to HELL and back from the procedure. I don't like the "malabsorption" aspect of it. I am sure it works for some but seeing my immediate family member and what she has been through, I wanted no part of it. She has had blood transfusions because they cannot get her blood levels up or her Iron, she takes high Rx doses of Vitamin d and they cannot get it to safe levels, she is worn out tired and "sickly" most of the time because of the malabsorption issues they haven't been able to get under control and now is in a pre-osteoperosis state. She has told me she would rather have the weight back than continue to live as she is. Aside from that, because it was more invasive (cutting into the intestines, etc) she had to have 2 subsequent surgeries to correct issues caused by scar tissue, etc. Sorry for all the graphics, my opposition to the bypass gets me a little fired up. I am happy it works for many, just not for my mother.

I am 3 months post-op w/ the band and LOVING it. There are days I get frustrated but it is more related to my changing relationship with food than the band itself.

Good luck on whatever you choose. Also, if the surgeon you meet with says he doesn't believe in the band either, I would hightail it outta there. You don't want someone operating on you that doesn't believe in what he is doing.

I thought it was less evasive and safer, altho all surgeries have risk.

Also, I wanted to have healthy weightloss. I have lost my weight over 2+ years I think it's much healthier than dropping 100 pounds in 3 months. This is just my opinion. There are some lap banders that have dropped a lot of weight in just a few months too, I will admit... I'm a little jealous. But the mal-absorbtion issues with the other surgeries discourged me from them. At the time of my surgery, I had never heard of the sleeve.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the choice I made.

I have a problem with the Dr. at the Seminar speaking FOR the other Dr.

I chose the band for the same reasons you did, and in four months I have learned how to manage and work with my band, with Gastric I know I would be back to old habits, we all make the choices that are best for us. Good luck with your consultation, keep us posted.

I went to the same seminar in jan 2012. Dr Coirin was the one who conducted it. Very informative, very impressed. AND he banded me oct 5th. He would not be pleased to know that he was not being promoted! Dr Coates is a jerk ( according to friends who have dealt with him) dr. Coirin will take you to success.

I'd tell him for sure!

The dual switch has a lot of malabsorption. You have to be really dedicated to your Vitamins and nutrition.

Dr Coirin also says that they usually take patients down 11 BMI points. That's the national average. Also 50% success rate in general. So you really need a mind change with the band.

I chose the band because it was the least invasive and thought it would be what I needed; a tool to use instead of re-routing my anatomy.

Of the three surgeons where I had my WLS, two of them strongly discouraged lap band. They were very pro-sleeve. Surgeons are results-driven, and the lap band leaves a lot of control up to the patient, so if the patient doesn't do as they're advised, the surgery is not a success long-term.

I chose the surgeon who did the most bands, and when I met with him in our consult, I had my reasons ready why I wanted the band. We spoke openly about the pros and cons, and he felt like I was a great candidate.

You need to find a surgeon who is on your team. They really are an integral part of your WLS journey, so know that they're rooting for you and your surgery is very important.

Not all patients are candidates for gastric bypass surgery and I am one of them. The LapBand was the best option for me. I am a retired ICU Trauma nurse and I was also not sure that I wanted to deal with the numerous post-op issues of a bypass. The LapBand is also the least invasive. My surgery was this past August 20 Nd I have had one fill with a second scheduled next week. I seem to be able to eat anything I choose @ this time. Looking forward to 2nd fill hoping to gain the fuller feeling when eating. I am definately not at the sweet point. Good news.....I am down 25 pounds. I have 40 more pounds to go and I know it is doable.

A lot of docs are also driven by money. It is sad to say it, but it is true. I chose the band from experience as a nurse on a med-surg floor. Of course, the surgeon that was performing the bypass surgery was scary enough, but after seeing the complications of these patients, I knew that was not a risk I was willing to take. Please keep in mind that I am certainly not discouraging ANYONE from bypass and support anyone who chooses this option 100%, but for me around where I live, it was completely out of the question. Good luck in what ever you choose !!