Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Appointment With The Surgeon . I Weigh What ??

I had my first visit with the surgeon today and I was shocked to see how much I really weighed. I guess it is easy to rationalize when you dont get on a scale. For the first time I didnt cry. The time for crying is gone now is time for action. I went to a women's leadership conference last week and one of the speakers was a breast cancer survivor. Her moto was I can, I must , I will. I am going to borrow this for my journey. The hard part is my husband's job is being outsourced on 12/1. Thankfully he is just changing employers but it maybe different insurance so I have to have my surgey before then. The race it on !

Last year in January I weighed 289. In March I weighed 304. In April at my doctors office I weighed 310. I went back in October for a check up and weighed 367!!! I sat there and cried my eyes out, my PCP hugged me and said stop being hard on yourself and lets do something about it. Of course, I had blood work that following week which he discovered my thyroid was a little off. The next day I made an appointement to go to a seminar for weight loss surgery. It has really changed so many things about myself and the way I look at food.

The race is deff. on!!!!

ok, so you faced that dreaded number.

when i first joined this forum, i didnt tell anyone what i weighed for nearly 3 months.....i was ashamed.

but its a number. so what

we gotta start somewhere right.

race is on......ok, i cant walk far/fast but i am def

bringing up the rear :)

Very excited for you!! "The time has come, the time is now... Duncanrum, you can. you must. you will!" Believe it!

It's very shocking! I got my new drivers license at 18 and didn't lie about my weight; it was 285. Then when I had my surgery, on weigh in day I was 3 months shy of 20 years old and 350 pounds. But hey, we are doing something about it!

You will be your own worst enemy during this journey, but it's one worth taking!

The great thing about the numbers on that scale is that they can change! Use this as a jumping point. I told myself the day I weighed 199.9 that I was DONE with the 200's. I am NOT going back. Just work your way down, one step...and pound...at a time. You can do this!

It's funny but I hate hate HATE getting weighed when I have to go to any doctor's office because I always think the nurse weighing me is saying awful things about me to herself as she records my weight on my chart. However, for the first time in my life, I stepped on the scale at my surgeon's office back in July and I didn't care what the number was. I didn't care what the nurse thought. I knew that being on that scale that day was the first step in taking back control of my life.

ok, so you faced that dreaded number.

when i first joined this forum, i didnt tell anyone what i weighed for nearly 3 months.....i was ashamed.

but its a number. so what

we gotta start somewhere right.

race is on......ok, i cant walk far/fast but i am def

bringing up the rear :)

I'm that way right now... just recently joined the site and am having the surgery soon... But i can't bring myself to put the number up there... I even went as far as to change my "nickname" on here just in case my nosy friends google my usual ID because I didn't want them to see all this personal stuff about me. This forum is public so it wouldn't be hard to find someone's private info... and my weight and lapband surgery is very personal to me and most people, i'm sure!

BUT -- I figure once i've had the surgery and see some success, I'll post it then because it'll be a number i'll never have to face again.

The people on this site are so supportive. This truly has been a blessing for me to find because i don't know a single person in my personal life who has had the surgery... So this is a place i can ask questions, vent, and learn without feeling embarrassed or ashamed. We are all here for the same purpose... It's nice!

Thank you for all the support and kind words!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches