Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nightime Eating....

I've now had my band for 3 yrs. Lost almost all my weight, but over the last 6 mths or so, I've gained back 16 lbs with a slipped band. Still trying to rectify it. Since my dr took out my last 1cc fill (since my band is slightly slipped, it caused severe reflux and the 1cc fill made it worse), I don't have any restriction at night anymore. No clue why I can do good on the portions till after 7 - then it's a free-for-all!

Last night I ate dinner at around 6. Had meatloaf and peas. At 8, I was in the kitchen making chicken salad with mayo and celery. Ate 1/2 a sandwich. At 9, I opened the box of Nilla wafers I bought last week (no clue why I bought them) and ate about 10-12 of em. At 10, I ate about 6 Ritz crackers with Peanut Butter. By the time I laid down to go to sleep at midnight, my belly was about to burst. Before 6 mths ago, if I tried to put in 1 extra bite past fullness, I would have vomited (which got me the slipped band in the first place)

Please tell me there's other just like me out there! I know there's perfect people out there also who would never dream of eating nilla wafers or bread in a sandwich. But I'm imperfect. In fact, I'm a total rule breaker (which is probably why I'm having trouble with a slip right now).

I'm working on a latch hook rug right now in my bedroom while I watch tv. Trying to keep my hands busy so I don't want to eat. Doens't work very well. Last Dec I was exactly 9 lbs away from my goal of 135. Now I'm a whopping 25 lbs from it. It seems so far away.

Does anyone elses band feel like it's not even there at night?

Marci

Hi Marcy! Sounds to me like you need a fill....stat! Maybe all you need is a tiny amount to get you there. I go for another fill tomorrow, and I can't wait. My apetite has come back with a vengeance after an unfill last month due to irritation and reflux. Best of luck to you!

I've never had a slip, but I still struggle at night. For me, I fully realize it's nothing to do with physical hunger and everything to do with head hunger.

I have no idea why, but without fail, around 7-8pm comes and I just want to graze on everything. Bite of this, taste of that, a little bit whatever is in the pantry. Some nights are worse than others, for instance last night I thought I'd lose my mind if I didn't find something to distract me from my obsession with wanting to snack on unhealthy stuff. I finally just went and took a long hot bath and by the time I was done the urge had finally passed. It was not easy though.

I try to have a small snack of mostly Protein in the early evenings, usually light string cheese or low fat cottage cheese. I find it helps me battle those night time munchies a bit easier.

Good luck.

Sometimes my hunger in the evenings is physical...at least that's what I interpret my growling stomach telling me...sometimes we have an earlier dinner and that seems to make a difference with how the evening and hunger will play out. I also know that if I am authentically hungry, there will be no way for me to fall asleep.

When my stomach is rumbling, I will resort to having a small high Protein snack. My surgeon has given me the green light to have a small teaspoon of natural no sugar added Peanut Butter for this purpose...and it tastes wonderful.

The key is to limit myself to only 1 teaspoon...so I make certain to put the jar of Peanut Butter back in the pantry, close the door, and go far away from the kitchen. I then put the spoon back in the dishwasher and leave the room again. I won't give myself permission to use a spoon more than once...or permission to wash any spoons by hand.

I have to make it more complicated to get a "refill" on the peanut butter...that takes time and effort. You get into trouble when, as an example you have the peanut butter jar on your lap and have the spoon in your hand and then are reading a good book. You can easily loose track of how much you are eating. My portion size is limited to 2 teaspoons, however I've done that only 1 time to date.

This may not work for others...I have a dear friend that peanut butter is a definite trigger to over eat, so she must avoid it.

But it works for me...keep the temptations out of the house or make it way more complicated or difficult for you to get at them.

I always struggle at night too, but it's 100% in my head. I was always an evening snacker "before." I don't dare do that now though, or I'll be up all night horking. I crochet while watching TV so my hands are busy doing something other than wanting to stuff my face. I know it'll be a lifelong struggle for me to beat those old temptations.

if you are truly hungry (eat)

but dont use it as because its nighttime or hub or family

is chowing down on Snacks in front of the telly.

once i am done with dinner, i am done. sojo posted a while back and i have followed that for a few months, about drinking...so if i feel or (think) i am hungry, i go get something to drink. it works. you have more control of your food intake than you give yourself credit for. just choose not to is what id say to myself.

I struggle with the night time snacking every single day. And I know I am not hungry. It is so all in my head. I have tried very hard to get this under control. It is definately my biggest obstical!

As you can see from all the responces you are not alone. Nighttime snacking is often based on bordom, lets be honest watching tv doesn't help....all those food ads. If I get the urge to eat I get away from the tv. Go on the computer to LBT, go into my sewing room & sew, or just walk upstairs a few times (log the stairs climbed on my fitbit).

That helps me battle it most of the time (not perfect by any means). Good luck to you.

Guilty here too! I am a night grazer! For me, its around 10pm, considerably after dinner time as we eat around 5-530 every night, so by 10 I am hungry. I will eat what I have. I try to eat those cottage cheese 100 calorie doubles. Gets me for my sweet and Protein for hunger. That can usually do it for me. Some nights that isnt enough and its a struggle. I just want to fall asleep so I am not tempted. I am not a sweet eater, I tend to like fresh mozzarella cheese and tomatoes with a drop of salt and balsamic vinegar.. sounds good to me now! I like the savory stuff. So that makes it harder for me.

So know, you are not alone! Not by any means! Its a struggle all around!

Keep your head up!

Well if you need to eat at night then eat Protein. The mayo, Cookies and crackers are definitely not helping you. I dont eat after 6 but if I get hungry I grab a boiled egg or something like that or make some scrambled eggs. You have to think of the end result ahead of you. You can do this you just have to put your mind to it.

The night time head hunger/ boredom thing was an issue for me for a while. Once I hit the green zone it hasn't been too bad. It's a hard habit to break. What I do now, and it usually hits me if I haven't eaten enough through out the day. Iff my dinner meal is a meal that is still moist enough to eat a few hours later I take a bite or two of that and that takes the edge off the wanting to snack. Also my dietician allows me one treat per day about one inch by two inches, I can either have it each day or bank it. I don't have my treat every day and my treat is a cadburys Turkish delight ( the small bar), when that night time urge hits and no matter what I do to ignore it and it won't go away, I give in, make a cup of tea and indulge in my treat. I make it last at least half an hour by taking tiny nibbles. This usually happens once every fortnight. I don't beat myself up and I enjoy it as its a treat.

You are in no way a failure, you've lost a decent amount of weight so far. It's going to take time to make the new healthy habits stick and it does get easier once you have the correct amount of fill. Baby steps!