Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Potty-Training Boys???

Bm's are hard for kids. My son would cry when we flushed it, so I would wait to flush till he was out of the room. He was great when it came to te-teing but BM's were tough. I had a poo poo party after one week of going on the potty, with presents,cake, and friends who sleep over. so it was a huge deal after that we never had another problem.

Hey Kathy~

just being my usual pesky self... hows little Spidey doing with the pottying?

Don't know how I missed this one...Kathy girl I am sending Curtis to your house. HE likes to sit on the potty...BUT that is it. (You know I have special needs w/ him) but I wanted to start at least potting in the potty. NOPE he said no that is not where pee pee goes. WHAT...

Oh one day it's going to happen....

This has to be quick b/c we're getting a storm, but my son pooped in the potty on his own tonight!!! :clap2: I was on the phone and he walked in the bathroom and called me in to see his poopy. Tomorrow we are going to buy some fishy. He saws he wants one that talks like Nemo. :biggrin1:

We had a huge battle the night b4 last and he sat on the pot for an hour and only pooped a little. I showed him a tube of toothpaste & I really think that made a difference. A great BIG hug & Thank You to each of you for posting.

We are on the way!! YEAH!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Tyler update...tinkling is no prob. He likes dong that part and if he doesn't have a diaper on, it's usually good! Well, execpt when he's distracted. He tinkled in the church nursery today! But, no luck with the pooping. Time to get the toothpaste! I'm not pushing it. I wish wish wish we could just stay home for a week and run around naked. I KNOW that would work! But real life is getting in the way. I have every confidence we will make it, so we'll keep plugging away!

All this advice gives me a vision and some great perspective for where he is in this process. Thanks everyone. I'm so encouraged! Even though it's not happening overnight. ;)

Yay! He really did put a little 3yo sized "Tyler Turd" in the potty today! Boy did we have a party. Here's what worked.

1) waking up and putting on big boy undies in the morning. no diaper, can't tinkle in it. So he was tinkling on the potty with no issues!

2) toothpaste demo. "the poopie comes out of your fannie, not your peanut (what he calls it, isn't that cute?) the tinkles comes from your peanut. The poopie comes out of your fannie and goes 'whoop!' just like that in the potty and then we wipe and flush it! Yay!"

3) okay, so then I bring in the big guns...his sister. I spaced out on the sofa and heard them playing in Rachel's room, only they were in the bathroom, and Rachel demo'ed pooping for him. She made herself poop and showed him the poop in the potty and flushed it, then he got on, and dadgum if the little fella didnt' poop, too!

4) I gave him his toy fishing pole. he wanted it when he saw it, and I told him he could have it when he pooped on the potty. Took 1/2 hour.

Okay, the world is falling apart over here...kids everywhere. Just wanted to give you all the good news! He pooped!

Yah, I know it's only just begun, but we have begun!!!!! Thanks everyone!

Kathy ~~~WWOOOO HHOOOO~~~ Tyler poo-pooed in the BIG potty! How exciting!

Those big sisters are really little momma's, you know!

Hey - I think Rachel should get a prize too... for helping out!

And I loved the toothpaste idea. Never thought of that one.

FABULOUS!!! So glad to hear all of you having success. We have been struggling a bit with the pooping too. He isn't afraid, and he goes quite often, but occasionally he has an accident. But he just doesn't seem to care.

We had an accident in Walmart. We were standing there buying fishing gear, and he walked to the other side of the cart and just peed his pants. ;) bad bad bad. Then he throws a hissy fit as we leave the store cause he didn't want to stop shopping. I explained that when you have an accident all the fun stops. He also had had a really busy day, and no nap, so the screaming was loud on his part.

Then yesterday the a/c guy comes over at the same time the cable guy comes by. And I am at home working on a project that should take about 10 hours, but has to get done in 2. I leave the a/c guy and cable guy to do their things, and send the kids to their room to play out of the workmen's way. Then sit down to work. And comes down the stairs, walks over to me, and says "i need new pants." I look down and he has poop leaking from his pant leg. and he had walked from his room all the way down the stairs and over to me this way.

Needless to say i was not a happy camper that morning. but we got it cleaned, and he has not had an accident since then. it is just weird how it can seem that it just doesn't phase him that htis has happened. he doesn't get upset. he just acts like it is no big just, just a minor inconvinience.

oh well. we will keep pushing on and know that he will not be in diapers when he is 5 lol

Hip Hip Hooray for Tyler!! :clap2: What a BIG boy!! Tell him another little boy you know from LBT, Danny, has just learned to poopy too and we're so proud!!

I think it was Victoriana that suggested the toothpaste and I can't say thank you enough....that made the difference for us. Danny was on the potty today and my other son wanted to get the toothpaste in the other bathroom. I told him that we didn't need that anymore....it was cute. Big brother trying to help. :huggie:

FunnyDuddies ~ Sorry to hear about your troubles. Such an awful thing for a mother to go through. Maybe you could make him wait a few minutes in his poopy pants b4 changing so he knows when it gets cold, it's not comfortable. I really don't know what to tell you on that one. While I was away this evening attending a support group, Danny fell asleep on the floor and woke up screaming. Daddy said he pooped in his pants while sleeping. Glad I wasn't home. ;)

I hate poop!! Took the cat to the vet and she pooped coming and going. I will be glad when the potty training is completely over!!

awwww, our little men are growing up so fast! congrats you potty-training Moms out there! This work we do now is the stuff that lasts a lifetime. They won't be grown men pooping in their pants in the Wal-mart, right?! Well, let's hope not anyway! LOL

Amy, maybe bribery is in order at this stage? Do the big monster truck at Wal mart or the fishing pole or some toy and tell him he can have it after a certain amount of time with no accidents? You know what will speak to the little guy, and how he understands it. I think missing out on the shopping fun was a great consequence. sounds like you handled that one perfectly! Keep at it.

Another thing that helped us was communication between me and hubby. We finally took some time the other night agreeing on a plan of action. We took the time to discuss Tyler, what he understands, what he's ready for, and just agreed about what to do.

One thing we agreed on was wearing the pull-up at night. I'm not the least bit inclined to think that Tyler is ready to get up out of his bed, go to the potty on his own, and then the important part, go back to bed! We are being selfish with our sleep time, but it's the compromise we are willing to make. If he does go, the pull-up is easy to get up and down. If not, well, we aren't changing sheets at 3am, or getting up for the day at 5am. Nope, we are all sleeping, blissful, blessed sleep, until at least 7am. So if a pull-up makes that possible, we are going for it! LOL

Anyhow, this thread is very helpful. Thanks for your input everyone. Keep us posted on the potty progress being made out there!

we do the same with the pull up at night. that is the only time he is allowed to wear them.

this morning he kept saying he didn't have to go potty when i told him to go into the bathroom. DH, DD and i were downstairs eating Breakfast while Andy was upstairs getting dressed. He came bounding down the stairs saying he went potty. he was dressed in clean shorts and a clean shirt...with poop all over the lower part of his legs. ;) i got him cleaned up and went upstairs...poop all over the floor of the bathroom and toilet.

lord please help with this. when i saw him standing there rob jumped up from the table, exclaimed he had a meeting, and went off to work. lol mean man.

:omg: Mean man, indeed! That's funny, my hubby would do the same with an evil grin the whole way out the door!

Tyler doesn't seem to want to poop this morning. I think he needs to...I may end up with a mess to clean up, too! Nap time is soon, and no diaper or pull-up...that's the rules! Wish me luck! LOL

well today has just been a disaster all around. twice he has peed in his shorts, and gone to change them without telling me. and then the poop incident this morning, so we are back to naked from the waist down.

i am so frustrated. he is running around the hosue yelling and crying because he wants pants on. he has gone potty just fine since i took the pants off. but it seems once his butt is covered by anything he feels its ok to pee and poo without going into the bathroom.

Amy - Girl! Dont stess about this. Maybe he needs a little more time? Im gonna say a speical prayer for you and little Andy.

LOL And honestly, your man did the manly thing this morning. :huggie:

Philip pooped twice in his pants since this started. I made such a BIG deal about how gross poo is - stinky and yucky (sticking my tounge out - gagging). Disgusting! YUCK! No BIG boys poop in thier pants. Not Daddy, not Bubbs, not Pop, not Papaw, not Mr Al (his friend/our neighbor). Yuck, Yuck... uughhh! Id say all of this while cleaning him.

I guess with all that mental anguish, the poor kid realized that he better poop in the right place. But it worked.

update on Philip:

I would classify him as officially "potty trained". He does both quite well - on his own (week 3 now). Doesnt even tell anyone. This is good. No accidents since day 2. Happy time in our house. Very good. Life is good. We are happy... yippie.

But there's one problem :tired .

He enjoys pooping *OUTSIDE*! ...like a dog!

He WILL do it on the toilet and not even tell me. But there are times when he wants to run outside and "do it in the grass". ;)

I dunno.

Whats that saying?

Dysfunction Junction.

And Kelly, good luck on staring over! How old is Dylan now?

LOL DH would have a heartattack if andy pooped outside. peeing is one thing, but DH is very "proper" when it comes to nudity outside, and outdoor peeing is only for extreme circumstances. He doesn't even like the kids running around the house for too long after their baths. they should be dried and dressed before even leaving the bathroom. LOL

And all i get is the mental image of a little boy wiping his butt on the grass like my dog does after he poops. HAHAHAHAHA