Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can 2/10Th's Of A Cc Make That Much Difference?

Hi All,

This July I was really sick after having a bad heatstroke and I was vomiting a lot. After which I couldn't keep any food down. I was worried I slipped so I made the trip to see my doctor. All the tests were done and no slippage had occured. He felt I was very inflammed from all the vomiting, so removed some Fluid from my band.

I was sitting at 5.8cc even before the vomiting occured, I was very tight all the time. No Breakfast for me before noon and I slimed up most of what I ate at every meal. He removed 1cc and set me at 4.8cc

After the inflammation went down and things felt better, I realized I had no restriction at all. I gained 17lbs.

Went to a different doctor (my doctor set me up with a more local surgeon to do my fills so I wouldnt have to travel so far).

Here is where it got a little wierd. He removed all the Fluid from my band and said I only had 4.0cc in there???? (So where did the 0.8cc go????) and added 1cc to set me at 5cc.

Still no restriction. Just went back last week. 5cc came out (so no missing fluid that time) and we added 0.6cc to set me at 5.6cc I have restriction, but not enough. My portion size that I can eat is still too much. But here is where I get concerned. If I add just 0.2cc back in, then I am back where I started.... 5.8cc and that's where I was so tight I was sliming everything I ate. So I am not sure what to do.

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, even a small amount of Fluid added to a band can have a significant impact on your level of restriction.

I'm not a advocate for having one's band too tight...and the scenario you described prior to having some Fluid removed does read to me that you had too much restriction.

I need to be able to swallow my prescriptions, and know I would be shorting myself on proper nutrition if I was sliming all of the time. I prefer to accept more of the responsibility for my weight loss by managing my hunger and not relying so much on my band.

Other's mileage may vary...

Two things-

Yes, .2cc can make a world of difference. Even .1cc can be the difference between too tight and the Green Zone.

You say "My portion size that I can eat is still too much." Please realize the band isn't supposed to restrict your portion size or physically stop you from eating anything. You have to restrict your portion size and stop eating, that is your work to do. The band is supposed to satiate your hunger with less food for longer periods of time, but just because you're no longer hunger doesn't mean you can't still eat more. There is a popular saying among bandsters "just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should".

Best wishes to you.

My one thought would be, are you taking too big of bites or not chewing enough when you were sliming all the time? I know when I'm not super careful to take small bites, chew well, and give time between bites I have a HUGE issue with sliming.

In fact, I tend to eat too fast when I get over hungry and thats when I start having problems. Look at that, maybe you were not too tight, but rather, eating too fast!

yes... .2 cc can make all the difference in the world, however the band does not and will not do all the work. It still takes exercise, eating right and self control.

That being said the band is a fickle device. The refill could be totally different that from before, it is definately trial and error.

Best of Luck to you.

I am confused !! I got .25cc !! Can that make a difference ??? Just very confused

yes... every little bit can make a difference. no matter how small.

:) these are all such great ideas you have given me and inspired me also. I will be a year this month and have only lost 36 lbs so far. I have 4.5cc in my band, and still would like to have more as I feel hungry most of the time. It upsets me to no end. My doctor is wonderful though and is very encouraging, but is cautious about giving me fills. I go in 2 days and hopefully he will even put in a small amt. for me. I am hoping to see more ideas on here about what to eat. This is my first time on here. Thank you for sharing. Maggie lapband done: 10/19/2011

Thank you all for responding. I have since had some more fill put in and am now at 5.6cc I have a little restriction, but still not enough. When I spoke of portion size before what I was referring to was that when you have restriction versus when you don't you do eat more. It takes a little more food to feel that feeling of fullness as you have more room in your band. And you don't feel full as long as when you are more restricted. I am one person who needs that. I have taken control and I eat very good food (I follow clean eating) and have lost over 100lbs since having the band put in. I am also very, very active. But for me, I do need the band to be on the tighter side restricting me from eating more and keeping me full longer. That is why we have the band in the first place.

I will be going in for another appointment to be set back to my original 5.8 as despite the sliming (and I was eating baby size bites slowly) it was working for me. :) thanks..