Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Feel Good Within A Few Days? Things Went Smoothly?

I am getting my surgery in November, so I am reading everything I can get my hands on. Here's my question -- how many of you out there had a good experience post op? I read the odd post that says "I hurt a bit for a day or so, but was up and around and generally feeling good by day three" or "went shopping the day after surgery" and like that. My doctor says that is how the majority of patients are, yet when I read here, I see waaaaaayyyyy more of the complications and pain patients and not so much of the went-smoothly patients.

Perhaps those of you who didn't experience much in the way of pain or discomfort just aren't posting about it --- ? Or perhaps my doctor is overly optimistic!

Just wondering how it's going to be to travel across the country so soon after :)

After my surgery, I didn't wanna do anything. I just wanted to sleep. I wasn't necessarily in pain, you just wanna take it easy the next couple of days afterwards. After a couple of days, my incisions were very sensitive. But then again, everyone is different. That's really about the only thing. Best of luck to ya! :o)

I am getting my surgery in November, so I am reading everything I can get my hands on. Here's my question -- how many of you out there had a good experience post op? I read the odd post that says "I hurt a bit for a day or so, but was up and around and generally feeling good by day three" or "went shopping the day after surgery" and like that. My doctor says that is how the majority of patients are, yet when I read here, I see waaaaaayyyyy more of the complications and pain patients and not so much of the went-smoothly patients.

Perhaps those of you who didn't experience much in the way of pain or discomfort just aren't posting about it --- ? Or perhaps my doctor is overly optimistic!

Just wondering how it's going to be to travel across the country so soon after :)

I had no complications post op. that said the gas pain was horrible but i drank maalox for that which helped somewhat. I had surgery on a Thursday. On Saturday night I went to a birthday party ...we didn't stay long. I was hunched over and very uncomfortable. I wasnt cleared to drive until Tuesday at my post op dr visit so I worked from home Ion monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday I drove to work and by noon I was exausted so I went home. Each day got better but it was about 2 weeks until I felt as good as I did before surgery.

My first day I was nauseaous as hell. And yeah I was sore & had gas pains but honestly that was cake next to my nausea. It cleared up by day 2, them the gas pains started but it didn't keep me down. I actually did go shopping as soon as I was released from the hospital, took a walk and visited my Grammie. I definitely was sore but made myself get up.

The thing that really annoyed me was the fact I had such a hard time bending over for about a week. My mom had to help me get my lower half dressed and socks/shoes. I just could not manage it. It would take me like 45 minutes just to shower because I was bound and determined to clean all my goods. A lot of screams of pain and frustration came from that bathroom lol

I am a lucky one not much pain..no gas pain and overall not a horrible experience. Yes, I did partake in retail therapy the very next day ...walking helped ....get up as soon as you can and keep doing laps around the hospital or at home, it is very helpful! Best of luck to you!

I was one of the lucky ones. Not much pain, up and about the next day. I had surgery on a Tuesday and returned to work the following Monday.

The hardest part for me was hunger. By day 3 I was hungry....the 4 weeks of liquids was difficult but I got thru it.

Good luck to you.

I also was one of the lucky ones with not much pain except the first few nights sleeping. Only took one painkiller when my shoulder was sore but that didn't work, I found moving around helped me more. I was cooking and keeping the house clean from day one and it was a week before I was brave enough to go out.

So more than anything I felt discomfort but then again I have a very high pain threshold.

I was lucky, no pain, no gas. My only complaint was the intense itching around my incisions, a little neosporen helped that! I keep up and moving and I think that helped. Had to sleep on my back for 3 nights, that wasn't comfortable to me, sleeping back in my side by night 4. I hope you have a great experience:-)

I just was banded on Thursday, the 27th. Not much pain, just really sore at the port site. In the hospital, the day of surgery I made sure to keep up with the pain meds. Friday morning I was more exhausted than anything due to labs/nurses/etc coming in my room all night. I took one last dose of pain meds that morning. I was discharged yesterday at about 2 pm, my husband and I walked around the grocery store waiting for my scripts to be filled. I was exhausted from that. I was up and in the shower by 7 am this morning. Just very sore, but the pain is bearable. It occurs more when trying to get up from a lying down position (it is true on here when everyone describes the pain as how you would feel after doing millions of sit ups!!) I sware the walking helped. I begged the nurses as soon as I got to my room to help me get up. Each walk gets easier! I think it is all what you put into it! Walk a lot, heating pad on your belly helps a ton! Good luck on your journey!

This surgery was awesome! I couldn't believe how good felt afterward! I was banded about 8:00 am and left the hospital before 2:00 pm. The only incision that bothered me was the largest one and it was only sore to touch. By day 3 I was shopping, staying up without a nap and otherwise feeling normal. I have a little hunger now and then, but I haven't even done a post-op visit yet with my surgeon. Now comes the part I've been waiting for - trying to find the green zone where the band will do its part. This is the best decision I've ever made and I only wish it had come along in my life sooner! Go into it with excitement, not fear, and your attitude will make all the difference in the world!

i guess because we are all different, we react differently

i was sore for a couple weeks. days 4-9 my left shoulder and neck hurt pretty bad but it got better

i wouldnt say it was a breeze as i read on here of people walking a mile or two the next day and here i was, groggy

and wanting a nap. i have had many surgeries and this wasnt so bad. i would suggest taking every thing with a grain of salt

that you read on here because you wont know until you go through it.

stay positive and stay upbeat and i am sure you will do spectacular. my only only advice is just do what

your doctor says to do. hope you have a great day

I would trust what your doctor says for the overall stats; however, know that everyone reacts differently. I think you may notice a lot of posts about people having discomfort or issues afterwards because those that don't are less likely to post something. People are naturally more likely to speak up about a negative experience or ask for suggestions, etc in that instance.

I had mine on 7/25 and it was pretty uneventful. :) I knew from a past surgery that anesthesia is not my friend (made me extremely nauseaous). I told my surgeon prior to surgery so they gave me meds before the surgery and I had NO issues with it this time. I had none of the gas pain that others have mentioned either. It was uncomfortable getting up and down from a chair and getting out of bed but that was to be expected. I am a single mother and my kids are in their teens. They doted over me getting me Water, etc... but I was able to shower, dress, etc. on my own and able to drive by day 2.

Just take it easy and listen to your body. Congrats on your pending surgery!!! :) Try not to fret about what may or may not happen and take each day as it comes. You will do great. :)

Oh you guys are brilliant. Thanks for this -- I had decided to stay the one extra day in TO, then fly home. Now I feel okay about that.

What a great place this is huh?

Smart decision to stay an extra day! I am now 8 days post op and I have had a good experience as well . I was shopping in the mall 3 hours after being released and the most pain I have experienced so far is left shoulder and neck from the gas but rubbing it and adding a heat pad helped! Today I am taking my daughter to Justin Bieber! You will do great as long as your attitude allows it! Mind over matter! Good luck!

I felt okay the day after surgery, but it was a couple of days after that that I really felt worse. I'm sure it wasn't bad compared to other surgeries, but I was in pain. I also had trouble sleeping for about 2 weeks which my dr said was normal.