Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tonight I Wish I Didn't Have The Band

I'm usually really thrilled when the band prevents me from eating something. But tonight I am just exhausted by it. I had a really bad day, feel very down, and ordered mexican food... Now one bite into it and I'm having trouble. I know this is why I got the band, but every once in a while I'd like to just stuff my face. wah wah, poor me. I'm sure I'll be happy later, but for now I'm feeling sorry for myself.

I know some people do have issues eating certain foods, but the bad isn't supposed to prevent you from eating anything. That's not at all it's job. If you have certain foods that are too hard to eat it's not a huge deal, but please don't make the mistake of thinking the band's job is to stop you from eating.

While you definitely don't want to overeat, are you sure you're taking tiny enough bites? Pausing between bites? Chewing it until mush?

Here's how small of a bite I have to take now that I am in the Green Zone:

IMG_0508.jpg

I want to eat fast and stuff my face. I'm in a bad mood, depressed, and would like to just for once take a bite of chicken and rice and not worry about it. The band is doing exactly what it should be doing. I'm the problem. I know that. I just don't feel like doing it tonight and it's annoying me. Grr.

then dont.

dont do it.

give yourself a night off

the band will help you feel full on less and we can eat anything

we are not a diet

so eat mexican, just eat a cup of the meal and stop.

you have come a long way. its a bad day.

so what, it will be better tomorrow.

I could hug you. I feel so down tonight. Like crying. And this is the first time I desperately want to eat to cover up the feelings... It's been a while since I've felt this way and when I took the first bite of chicken (good) and then felt it scratching me on the inside and hurting (bad!) I wanted to scream... But I do feel a little better. I guess the rice is kicking in. hehe. I'll be fine. Just grouchy. yea mexican. yea lapband for making it ok to eat a cup of mexican. :/

I could hug you. I feel so down tonight. Like crying. And this is the first time I desperately want to eat to cover up the feelings... It's been a while since I've felt this way and when I took the first bite of chicken (good) and then felt it scratching me on the inside and hurting (bad!) I wanted to scream... But I do feel a little better. I guess the rice is kicking in. hehe. I'll be fine. Just grouchy. yea mexican. yea lapband for making it ok to eat a cup of mexican. :/

we all have bad days

id give you a hug if i could

just because you wanna eat mexican doesnt make you bad

eat it, slowly and enjoy.

you are on a time out remember

take a hot bubble bath or shower

put on some wonderful silky lotion and believe me that tomorrow will

be better i promise

A big HUGS for you Sasha!!!

ate my cup of rice, guac and cheese (skipped the chicken) and I feel SO much better. maybe I was hungry. I realize that I hadn't eaten much today. interesting....

I'm usually really thrilled when the band prevents me from eating something. But tonight I am just exhausted by it. I had a really bad day' date=' feel very down, and ordered mexican food... Now one bite into it and I'm having trouble. I know this is why I got the band, but every once in a while I'd like to just stuff my face. wah wah, poor me. I'm sure I'll be happy later, but for now I'm feeling sorry for myself.[/quote']

I totally understand what you're saying. You're just venting because we all know its better for you not to have binged. ...but still I get it.

That's part of the journey...learning about the connection between your emotions and eating patterns. Another part of the journey is learning how to eat again...

It does help to structure your meals so that you don't get too tired or too hungry.

Good to read that you are feeling better now...sometimes there will be days like this one... learning effective coping skills will help.

I know some people do have issues eating certain foods, but the bad isn't supposed to prevent you from eating anything.

This is where I disagree just a little bit. Although I agree on accountability and the band is only a tool.....indirectly the band helps you eat less because you feel full and satiated on a small amount of food. You work WITH the band...and the band helps you eat less.

I think we are on the same page...but I agree with you...if you error on any side...personally ...I error on the side of personal accountability in terms of making yourself eat a small portion of food.< /p>

I know exactly how you feel. My first Thanksgiving after being banded, I was actually jealous of my family at the table. I ate a bite of everything while everyone else stuffed their faces. While I was happy to be satisfied with such a little amount, it still makes me jealous when I see people eat so much.

My husband loves Hometown Buffet (he's a lo carber, so can get his fill of meat and veggies) and I'm a waste of money there. I still fill my plate (taking a bite of everything), but watching people fill their plates time and time again makes me a little jealous. And grossed out at the same time! Does that make sense?

Marci

Omg. Eat the food. This is not about depriving yourself of EVERYthing!!! Lol. My dic says 80/20 rule. Do ur best 80% of the time. No one is perfect. Good luck!!! ;)

You guys are awesome. Thank you.

It's true, I really was just venting. I think it's important for us to have an outlet with people who understand, and I think it's also important for newbies to see that you're not going to be as 'into it' every day of the week...

For what it's worth, I am doing better, but I'm still having some food trouble. It's all emotional for sure (I'm having some ongoing issues with a coworker) and I feel a little burned out and depressed the last few weeks. And when I feel this way, all I want to do is numb myself and check out. And if I CAN'T numb myself and check out, I don't quite know what to do with all the feelings that I'm stuck feeling... I mean, there's nothing for me to actually "do" really. I just have to suck up feeling lousy. It is what it is...

But in the short term, in the moment, I'd really rather feel lousy AND have a Starbucks sausage egg and cheese Breakfast sandwhich. :-) Know what I mean?

But sadly I just tried to eat one a few minutes ago and found that I could only sort of eat the sausage patty if I picked it off by itself (didn't finish it), and I could also eat the egg alone. But there was no way I was getting the bread down without drinking something (and the cheese is stuck to the bread). So now I'm sitting here listening to my throat gargling loudly as the food passes down, burping like crazy, and feeling irritated on the inside cause it's probably not chewed AS tiny as it needs to be. So yea, I get to feel bad emotionally AND physically. Maybe I'll try meditating for 10 minutes in the handicapped bathroom if I don't feel better in 10 minutes. heheh.

Anyway, it's all good. I'll be fine. Actually, I am already fine. And I'm DEFINITELY happy with the band. I mean, I just probably cut a 500 calorie meal in half by not eating the bread or cheese. And that is why I got this thing! Thank you band. You rock.

(btw, anyone want to kick my coworker in the shins for me?)

Great thread!

Sasha, i'm giving you virtual hugs, and kicking your coworker in the shins :)

I like the 80/20 rule. It makes sense and also makes me realize that NO ONE is expected to be perfect 100% of the time