Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Do People Think Lap Band Is The "easy" Way!?

I just read a post on my Facebook. Someone said, "103 lbs down. No surgery, just determination." Maybe that is not meant as a diss to lap band surgery, but it hit me as one. I feel like so many people think having lap band surgery is such an easy way to lose weight. Just get the band and the weight drops off. Why don't people realize the band is a TOOL?! WE are still the ones doing the work!!! If someone can lose 103 lbs without surgery, I applaud them. I, however, could not. It does mean that by getting the lap band I took the easy way out. This has not been an easy road. Not at all. <_<

that is correct 100%. it was the hardest thing i ever done.

i also have lost vast amounts of weight in the past (without surgery)

but due to health reasons and me up near 350, i had to make a decision to ask for help

am so glad that i did. i am so thankful

those who think the band is easy, just dont understand what goes into it

you just hang in there and keep doing a great job :)

I too have lost 100 lbs twice , but yet here I am at 245, up as high as 274. That's why I choose the LB, not for "ease" of getting to goal, but helping me stay there for once. I know it's going to be just as much work to get there, but maybe a little easier staying there.

As you get older, meaning after menopause. It does get harder, but also more important. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get at least a portion of my life back, b/c right now physically it sucks!

I really don't give a darn what anyone thinks, it's about me. So if anyone says it's easy, poor them, they're ignorant.

For once in our lives, WE CAN DO THIS AND WE TOGETHER WILL. Whose with me?

Ignorance, pure and simple. They think WLS is the easy way out due to ignorance.

I had a friend (and I use the term loosely) post very similar on Facebook. She lost around 120 pounds and posted how she did it "without surgery", too. Mind you, she is also a single woman, no children, and has the free time to spend 4 hours a day in the gym and spend thousands on a personal trainer.

Ironically, as much as she was quick to point out the weight loss without surgery, she neglected to mention the Tummy Tuck she had a couple months ago.

I just ignore them. The ignorant aren't worth my time or effort to fret over.

After seven years being banded, for me lap band is the easy way out. Yes, there is a committment to get the weight off, but chances are the people who took the "hard way out," will gain it all back again, "the hard way." For me it has been so easy to maintain and have control. That never happed to me before I took "the easy way out."

Thank you all for the comments. I just felt so frustrated reading what was on Facebook and I had to vent....and I knew everyone here would understand!!!

After seven years being banded' date=' for me lap band is the easy way out. Yes, there is a committment to get the weight off, but chances are the people who took the "hard way out," will gain it all back again, "the hard way." For me it has been so easy to maintain and have control. That never happed to me before I took "the easy way out."[/quote']

That is why I got the band. I've lost hundreds of pounds many times over my lifetime just to gain them back and them some. I needed a tool to help me keep it off once and for all. Is this the easy way out? Not to me, its a weight loss tool just like the point system in Weight Watchers is a tool. What's the difference?

I agree with everyones post here....

I to have lost many lbs many times....but something happens and WHAM...( for me) the emotional eatter awakes and befor I know it Im right back to where I started plus 10 to 20 lbs.....this time I know I have a TOOL to help me....

I am the same. I have lost before, it's the keeping it off that I struggle with. I just wish there was a way to make people UNDERSTAND, ya know? I have not kept my surgery a secret, because I had hoped to educate people. Some people you just can't educate.

It's not easy. Losing weight AND KEEPING IT OFF is hard with or without a band. Like the rest of you I had lost weight countless times before, WW, Hypnosis, pills, injections,gym, weighless plus countless more. The problem is the weight always came back. As I got older it became even harder to lose the weight. Never mind menopause I think once you hit 40 it becomes a lot harder.

So this person has lost weight all by herself - bully for her. Wonder what she will post as her status when she regains it all.

The bit about the Tummy Tuck makes me laugh too. It seems that it is OK to have surgery for vanity e.g boob job, tummy tuck etc but having surgery for your health e.g WLS is somehow a sign of weakness. That really makes a lot of sense doesn't it?!!!!

I've lived most of my life worried about what others thought, but at 56yo I no longer give a crap what anyone thinks about anything.

It's true, with age comes wisdom.lol

You guys are awesome! YOU ROCK!

I guess I'm in the group which did not have any weight issues until I was around 50. I lost significant amounts of weight post pregnancy times 2 (105 and 85 pounds), and managed to keep it off for nearly 25 years.

Then came reckless over medication by a physician and menopause at the same time...and I struggled to loose weight unsuccessfully. I did exercise, tried to eat healthy, and failed at Portion Control.

I realized that many of our family gatherings centered around meals...not a healthy dynamic at all.

I was then discovered to be glucose intolerant, and my A1C levels crossed briefly above the number for diagnosis of Type II Diabetes. I knew that I would never be a compliant diabetic, and also was aware of the many complications faced by diabetics.

I brought up the WLS topic with my PCP...ethically it did need to be initiated by me. He was very supportive. I just wanted to have the opportunity to regain some of the health that my weight was stealing from me.

People don't understand how much focus and dedication needs to go into the banded weight loss journey...daily commitment to diet compliance and portion control, along with regular exercise. I feel that I have fought to loose every pound that I have.

I guess people can't understand the concept of the band being a tool...if you don't "walk the walk" it's more difficult to relate to someone on their journey.

I don't have the time to listen to the negative "naysayers"...I'm too focused on achieving my next goal...