Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

Congrats txpeach!! It sounds like all went well and you are on the permanent weights loss venture!! I still have a week to go and to hear your story is great for me. I hope all of the other "May 1st Band Crew" will be checking in soon to let us know how they are making out....Now about about our May 2nd and 3rd people have a great day and hope to hear from you in a couple of days!!!

Peace and Love

Good luck to todays bander's!!! Congrats to TXpeach I'm glad it went so well. I wish you a speedy recovery. Looking so forward to Thursday. I was hoping I get to come home but it sounds like I one of the later cases so I will spend the night....

YEAH TO YOU TXPEACH!!!! I am so happy your experience went so well. I hope all the other May 1st bandsters did as well. Good luck and prayers to all else who will be banded this month. Your experience has helped me ease a few fears and gives a lot of encouragement to us who will come after you. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm praying for those getting banded today. I thought you'd want to know that I'm really not hungry. I remember before surgery that I could literally hear my stomach growling and that I was starving, but since surgery I've been sipping on gatorade and a little broth here and there and that satisfies. It sure would be nice if this kept up! I'm sure I'll feel some hunger when the swelling goes down, but it makes the soreness worth it! Just think................a life free from being controlled by food and thoughts about weight. True freedom to enjoy life! Yeah! I'm so ready for this! Get excited May Bandsters. We are going to do GREAT!

I'm moving around as much as possible trying to get rid of the gas. That's a tough one for me b/c I'm quite ladylike and it doesn't come easy, if you know what I mean. I remember the gas pain after my c-sections, though and I don't want to go there again! So, day two and I'm still doing alright. You guys can do this! I'm kind of a tough girl, not a real baby, but there are so many things worse than this. And, look at the rewards that are just around the corner! Let's get excited and do what we need to do!

weight.png

Banded 5/01/06

Height 5'5

Hi Everyone - I've been doing just fine with my decision to be banded, until I read an e-mail yesterday about a female patient that died last week following surgery by Dr. Kuri. I guess is was a pulmonary embolism. NOW I'M TERRIFIED - help!!!

Oh, that is terrible news!! Do you have any other information/details? How long after surgery did she pass away? I do know a pulmonary embolism is listed as a possible complication per the info from my surgeon. It that actually a blood clot in the lung? I'm not sure. :confused:

This doesn't change my mind on the band in the slightest, but I do understand where it can raise a cause for concern when it happens so close to your own surgery date.

I don't want to make light of the horrible death of that poor woman, but this should serve as notice that this is a serious surgery that comes with risks with death being one of them. This decision should be weighed heavily and not be made in haste or on a whim. Do I sound preachy? I'm sorry. :phanvan Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself. This is a horrible thing to hear about.

Hi everyone, I'm back. Thanks so much for your positive thoughts and prayers! My surgery was completely uneventful, which was GREAT. I was able to get up and walk around pretty easily. Well- walking anyway. The getting up and down is still a challenge.

Everything was just fine, no problems at all and they cleared me to leave at 7 this morning. I have some pain around my port incision, but other than that I'm just fine - no gas and no pain anywhere else. The hardest parts were using my triflow, which makes me cough and that hurts, and sleeping last night. I never sleep on my back, so it was a hard night for me. I'd sleep for an hour, wake up for two hours, and fall back asleep for another hour. I got so sick of lying in that bed! Luckily I had a private room so I was able to read and watch some tv without disturbing anyone else. The folks at Cedars took really great care of me. I'd recommend that facility to anyone!

I wound up not getting home until noon and then I took a nap! After that, I went to the pharmacy to get some drugs. Port is hurting a bit, so I'm going to knock back some of this fruity-tasting Syrup and go lie down. Good luck to the rest of the May-ers. Pretty soon we'll all be banded and reminiscing about this month. :grouphug:

Hi All,

Well, I too am officially banded. Thanks so much to stichy, seminole, Londoner, Drewslou, 3loves and everyone else who was praying for/pulling for the first of us May Bandsters.

My experience has been pretty good. I loved much getting a bunch of high fives and good lucks from the nurses before getting wheeled into the OR. I felt like the whole hospital staff was pulling for me.

The rest of Monday is pretty much a blur. Thank God for morphine. :notagree As long as I was asleep, I wasn't nausious. Be early this morning, the nausea had passed (without vomiting) and I was feeling pretty good. My swallow test went well and I have been able to get down abut 32oz of Water today, plus some broth and some Protein Drink.

I am glad to have the surgery over and ready to get on with my new life!!

I will be thinking of the rest of you "Mayer's" and I will be praying for you.

You can do it!!!!!!!!

Are you back yet Hope? I am really looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Sleepyjean and txpeach, I am glad to hear you guys are doing well, too!

It's official. I am a bandster!! My surgery went fine... just as expected. He said my liver looked great so the diet paid off! I went in at about 9am and woke up in recovery at 11ish. I wasn't in too much pain but at a few points I got pretty uncomfortable so they hooked me up with the good drugs. I was up and out of bed by 1. My butt was asleep from sitting on that gurney for so long that I had to get out of that bed. It felt good to be up. The guy in the bed next to me in recovery had to be one of the most annoying people I have ever been in the presence of. He kept telling the nurses to be nice to him since he was being so nice to them. They were treating him like a king! He had no cause to complain one little bit. It was nice to get up and away from him!

The ride home was a bit bumpy. That hurt a little... mostly just felt like pressure though. By the time we got home I was pooped. I tried to lie down in our bed but it was pretty hard to sit up from a flat position so I headed for the recliner. Much better! I have slept for a few hours off and on. Been sipping Water, peppermint tea and broth. Everything is going down fine. I felt what I think was a little gas pressure in my side for a little while but took some GasX and that went away in a hurry.

I was pretty afraid of how I was going to feel immediatley after surgery but so far so good! I have been really suprised. Thanks to all of you that suggested walking to help the aches and pains go away. It really works! I have worn a path down my driveway and back.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and good thoughts. For those of you up next RELAX! It isn't as bad as I was afraid of!

Hi All....

I got word this morning that I will be banded on May 16th. I am excited, hopeful,

scared,eager and generally overwhelmed at times. Two more weeks of the Slim Fast diet....so far have dropped 13 pounds and am ferociously hungry for a good part of the day. I continue to remind myself that the pre-surgery weight loss will make recovery much easier and will be very much worth it....in the meantime, I just plain want to gorge myself on something completely ridiculous. I intend to hang in there, though and am doing a lot of self talk, i.e. choosing life over food. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I will be a May banster. I'm grateful and glad to be counted among you folks.

Pat

Welcome to the May bandsters Pat!

Today is my last day of work before being banded and I hope I can concentrate. I go out to Brussels tomorrow (Thursday 4 May) morning for a consultation with Dr Dillemans, then am banded 7:30am Friday 5 May! I come home on Monday after a final check up with the surgeon, but am taking my laptop with me so I can update everyone with how my surgery goes.

I am really scared and keep having moments of doubt (I read the guilt thread yesterday and SOOOO related), but know deep down that I wouldn't be undergoing major surgery and spending lots of money (I am self pay) if I hadn't properly thought this through. I am making the right decision for me.

May 2006 is a very good month - just think where we'll all be in May 2007. Bring it on!

Wow.

The "May Band Crew" has started out like champions!!! Congrats for doing the Crew well, Tx Peach,DrewsLou, Linda V, SleepyJane and everyone one else in May 2006 band land!! Now it time for the next round of the "May Band Crew" to step up and be just like the first rounders did. We are the team to beat us "May Band Crew!!:clap2:

Hope and Velvetkiss please let us know how your doing....

Thanx 3loves For Your Reassurance....congratulations Texaspeach,i'm Glad You're Coming Along Nicely. My Date Is May 25...i'll Be Getting A Packet Of Info,and Lab,x-rat,and Ekg Orders For My Local Hosp To Do. I'm Just Trying To Stuff In All The bread I Can.the Nurse At The Surgean's Said There Is No Pre-surgury Diet Except On Certain People...im Going For A Low/nofat Diet Anyway. I Think A Littler Liver Could Only Help!...also,almost Forgot, Have To Have An Anethesist Consult. Didn't Say Anything About Dietition Or Shrink...maybe Later,who Would Know. I Foresee More Phone Calls To His Office...later All