Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

Count me in with the 'no particular diet before surgery' crowd. My surgery is Monday, May 1 and I asked my doctor again two days ago about pre-surgery diet. He said to go out to dinner Sunday and enjoy my 'last supper'. Of course, I will have nothing by mouth after midnight on Sunday, except a tiny sip of Water to get my blood pressure pills down the morning of surgery.

I know the pre-surgery diet varies with different doctors, but I also wonder if some doctors take into account your BMI when deciding. Mine is barely 40 and it may be that my physician would have put me on a pre-surgery diet if I had a higher BMI. Not sure. I do think it is important to have a doctor whose judgement you trust. If you are asked to diet before surgery, I'm sure it's because your doctor is trying to give you every advantage possible. One good thing about the liquid diet before lap band is that those patients usually end up getting a head start on weight loss.

Hope

Seminole-I will be banded May 3rd!! I will find out what time on Monday. I can't believe it's finally here!!!!! :bounce:

3loves-Thanks, I could use all the prayers I can get.

I look forward to getting to know all of you. Have a great weekend everyone!

Kelli

seminole ~ I bet your so thankful....100%....AWESOME!! Sorry you were getting bad service. Customer service is taken for granted so much these days. Time will catch up with them & then they'll wonder where all the patients went .

Hippo's Hope ~ You probably have a good point on the BMI. Mine is 41 or 42, but then again, I'm not sure my surgeon requires it at all b/c there were 4 people in our pre-op class and everyone was told the same info.

Here's what we're allowed the day b4 surgery:

Breakfast - normal

Lunch - Full Liquids

Supper - Clear Liquids

And of course, the day of, we are not to have anything.

kelli ~ I hope your able to sleep this weekend. :biggrin1: I can't believe May is almost here. YEAH....we will all be banded b4 we know it!! I'm getting excited!! :clap2: You have a great weekend too!! :P

Thanks Tracy :P

8 more days! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

whew. Had to get that off my chest.

Hi, everybody, I am new to the forum, I had my surgery at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles,on Feb 20th,2006 Dr.Nisha was my surgeon, I had a 1cc adjustment last week. I was 314, I got down to 300.5 (every ounce counts)the day of surgery,today I am 284,thats up 3lbs since I had they adjustment. It seems I can still tolerate a plate of food:hungry: , although it's a lot less than what I was consuming. I developed a rash on my chest, arms and stomach 3 weeks after surgery (looks like eczema although I never had this before.) I told my surgeon, he said it could be anything, and to go see a dermatologist. not much help:rolleyes . I am still itchy now, I have been taken benadryl. I'm glad to join this forum, and it's good to be able to talk to others about this. I only told my immediate family I was having this surgery, and then I spilled the Beans to the in-laws 1 month after the surgery....and then the gossip:kiss2: I mean news quickly spread.My last meal they day before surgery, My family and I went to Mccormick & Schmidts for the first time and I ordered the fried Catfish and oh my word! It was humongous, My husband called it a small dolphin:D.Thank God I couldn't finish it,The waitress says no one ever has finished it.

Well just got back from the store, purchased 3lbs Strawberries n cream Zero carb Isopure Protein and some Dutch chocolate Lean Body Meal Replacement shake powder (20 packets)by Labrada. Where I live it cost me 140.00 usd,. I will purchase more when I get to the states but wanted some in the house. I am starting the meal replacement on Monday the 1st!!!! Wow next week this time I will be at the airport on the way to the states. Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

My Doc wants me to do a 2 week pre-op high Protein liquid diet to shrink my liver - which will make surgery much easier. I'm all for that. I have to consumer 60-80 grams of protein a day. I'm on Day 2 now - not too bad at all - not hungry either!

I have been reading alot about Protein shakes/drinks etc. Maybe this is just because I've never looked for them, but what are they? Specifically, brand names? powders? pre-made liquids? I think I will need them, but I'm at a loss. I live in the Seattle, WA area, so are there specific stores?

I'm trying to fill my pantry for post-surgery food and need some help.

Thanks, guys.

MAY IS ALMOST HERE FOR THE MAY-ERS!!!:clap2:

Hi Stitchy ~ I was just researching this myself. The other day I bought 3 different flavors of the Isopure Zero Carb drinks at GNC. The lady told me she sells them to WLS customers by the case. They have 40 g of Protein per bottle. She warned though that protein has a distinct flavor - you either love it or hate it. I'm going to give it a try b4 surgery.

Also, here's a thread I was just reading:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17644

Yesterday in my pre-op class, they recommended the Slim Fast Low Carb or the Adkins Advantage. I guess about 3 of these give you the daily amount of protein needed for healing.

I still have not decided myself so I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. :eek: Good question. :clap2:

The Isopure has zero carbs and 50 grams of Protein 200 calories and 0 sugars and lots of other Vitamins. The carb watchers from Labrada has 43 grams of protein and 230 calories and 12 carbs and vitamins I personally think we will need the beverages that have high protein for healing. We need to get the most protein possible especially post surgery. Both of these products I bought in the powder form...

Hi May Bandsters,

Well, I get my band at 9:30 Monday morning and I can't wait.

I too have done my grocery shopping this weekend. I stocked up on nf milk, yougurt smoothies, popsicles, fudgesicles and bean with bacon Soup (a tip rom Pnut). I also have plenty of ON Protein Shake around (I like chocolate).

I walked the isles saying "farewell" to some of my favorite foods like bread. I'll miss them, but will difinately have a better life without them.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck LindaV. Your one of the first to get to banderland in May!!! Please have a safe journey and write back as soon as you feelup to it as your information will be helpful for the rest of the "May Band Crew"!!!

Wishing you all the best..

I walked the isles saying "farewell" to some of my favorite foods like bread. I'll miss them, but will definitely have a better life without them.

Thanks for the laugh.....I will be the same way. :eek: It's like saying goodbye to an old friend. :phanvan

I wish you the very best on Monday. You will be in bandland b4 you know it. :biggrin1:

seminole ~ What kind of Isopure are you using? I bought the premixed kind and I am pleased to say I love it. The only thing is that mine has 40 g of carb, 160 calories, and made with sucralose. I wished you could have seen my DH's face when he tired it, :heh: he was quite entertaining. I thought it was a bit pricey at $2.24 a bottle, but at least I don't have to mix it. GNC doesn't offer it online so I guess you can only buy it in the store.