Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feelin' Bummy. Need Some Support / Suggestions To Get My Head In The Game Again

I had my surgery July 6th. I have lost 45 lbs since I started my preop diet. I haven't really started exercising, although I do use a fitbit and have doubled my average number of steps per day since once I recovered from the surgery (from 5000 to 10,000+). I just started this week to feel in a slump though. I lost another 1.3 lbs this morning, but somehow I just don't feel like I am on track. Today is the first day in 3 weeks I have lost any weight and last night I would say I went on a "binge" eating ice cream, lasagna, cake etc-- all accounted for in my online food log. I journal on myfitnesspal.com which has been really helpful in not letting a binge get to 6000 calories, but the last 2 weeks have been a struggle to limit my food. I was originally eating between 900-1200 calories a day and feeling satisfied. The last 2 weeks I have been closer to 2000 calories, and even got up to 3000 one day (cheese has been a real problem for me, and so has drinking my calories). Since the surgery I now have a relationship, my clothes fit better, I can objectively see weight loss, but somehow I still don't feel successful. What is wrong with me!

I am going to start going to the gym this afternoon. I brought work out clothes to work so I don't have the chance to go home and start sitting on my couch. My friends don't know I have the band (except a few who are really supportive). A friend of mine I haven't seen since before surgery was trying to put his finger on why I looked so much better this weekend. I guess the weight loss is noticeable but not in a direct way-- why doesn't this make me feel better? I told my new boyfriend about the band a few weeks into the relationship and he is so supportive, but still doesn't really understand. He thinks it is just about Portion Control and the band will do the work for me, so the idea that I have to try and keep low carb and low calorie doesn't exactly make sense to him. I am almost grateful he is going to be gone for 2 weeks so I can avoid eating out. I don't want to be "a girl on a diet", particularly not in my relationship. I want to be "a girl who feels satisfied by less food and is more active". I don't know why I'm struggling so much today. It is the first day I have been back on this site looking for support in months.

I called my surgeon today and asked for a fill appointment. I can eat more than 2 cups of food in a sitting and am not feeling satisfied at all. The preop cravings are all back-- even if I feel tight. I do sometimes get stuck though, and a few weeks ago I was PBing daily. I wonder if I stretched my pouch. That would be terrifying. I feel like I have learned to cheat my band, and I just want to kick myself for letting this happen. I guess the only benefit is that I am catching this while I'm still moving in the right direction and haven't gained any weight back, yet. That is a big difference for me compared to preop, I'd say.

Please send support. I am needing someone to hold me accountable and kick me back in to gear!!! Any suggestions on how to "reset" my habits would be so helpful!

Sorry this turned into a long rambled mess. I just feel so wah right now.

xxox lovelybandette

I had my surgery July 6th. I have lost 45 lbs since I started my preop diet. I haven't really started exercising' date=' although I do use a fitbit and have doubled my average number of steps per day since once I recovered from the surgery (from 5000 to 10,000+). I just started this week to feel in a slump though. I lost another 1.3 lbs this morning, but somehow I just don't feel like I am on track. Today is the first day in 3 weeks I have lost any weight and last night I would say I went on a "binge" eating ice cream, lasagna, cake etc-- all accounted for in my online food log. I journal on myfitnesspal.com which has been really helpful in not letting a binge get to 6000 calories, but the last 2 weeks have been a struggle to limit my food. I was originally eating between 900-1200 calories a day and feeling satisfied. The last 2 weeks I have been closer to 2000 calories, and even got up to 3000 one day (cheese has been a real problem for me, and so has drinking my calories). Since the surgery I now have a relationship, my clothes fit better, I can objectively see weight loss, but somehow I still don't feel successful. What is wrong with me!

I am going to start going to the gym this afternoon. I brought work out clothes to work so I don't have the chance to go home and start sitting on my couch. My friends don't know I have the band (except a few who are really supportive). A friend of mine I haven't seen since before surgery was trying to put his finger on why I looked so much better this weekend. I guess the weight loss is noticeable but not in a direct way-- why doesn't this make me feel better? I told my new boyfriend about the band a few weeks into the relationship and he is so supportive, but still doesn't really understand. He thinks it is just about Portion Control and the band will do the work for me, so the idea that I have to try and keep low carb and low calorie doesn't exactly make sense to him. I am almost grateful he is going to be gone for 2 weeks so I can avoid eating out. I don't want to be "a girl on a diet", particularly not in my relationship. I want to be "a girl who feels satisfied by less food and is more active". I don't know why I'm struggling so much today. It is the first day I have been back on this site looking for support in months.

I called my surgeon today and asked for a fill appointment. I can eat more than 2 cups of food in a sitting and am not feeling satisfied at all. The preop cravings are all back-- even if I feel tight. I do sometimes get stuck though, and a few weeks ago I was PBing daily. I wonder if I stretched my pouch. That would be terrifying. I feel like I have learned to cheat my band, and I just want to kick myself for letting this happen. I guess the only benefit is that I am catching this while I'm still moving in the right direction and haven't gained any weight back, yet. That is a big difference for me compared to preop, I'd say.

Please send support. I am needing someone to hold me accountable and kick me back in to gear!!! Any suggestions on how to "reset" my habits would be so helpful!

Sorry this turned into a long rambled mess. I just feel so wah right now.

xxox lovelybandette[/quote']

Dear lovelybandette

It seems like you are fighting the process. You have done amazing, down 43 lbs WOW! Make today day one, start fresh and get back on track. The good thing is that you realize it's wrong to continue on the path you were heading. We've all been there and it leads to weight gain and unhappiness. Allow yourself to be free from this type of eating and embrace your new lifestyle. Are you going to any support groups? I think it's great that you made an appt with you physician.

Hang in there and know none of us are perfect, we strive to do our best each day. I know you will get back on tract. Now dig deep to find out why you aren't allowing yourself to feel good about your progress.

Drink lots of Water to flush out the carbs and start with your Protein. Maybe even do a few days of Protein shakes. Wishing you continued success!

First, breath. You've lost considerable weight already and that is something you should be very proud of.

You clearly know what is necessary to be successful with your band. You know it's there to help you feel satisfied on less food, not full or restrict what you eat. You know the portions you should be eating, you count calories, and you even track the steps you take (girl I don't even track my steps! LOL!) I know you don't feel like it right now, but you totally got this. You know exactly what to do and how to do it, now all you have to do is find that spark to keep going on that path.

So you had a binge day. It happens. We're all human. If anyone ever says "Oh I behave 100% of the time and always eat right" they're lying. If we had the power to do that, we wouldn't have wound up obese needing WLS to begin with. The trick is letting those times we aren't eating right be fleeting moments not the norm.

You've lost 45 pounds so far. Can you imagine if you never have? Or worse, if you'd gained that weight rather than lose it? Just imagine where you can be a year from now if you work with your band!! I mean really, the possibilities are endless and wonderful, and they're right there for the taking. So...reach out...and take it :)

Talk to your doctor, tell him your struggles, see if he can give you some advice. If you're truly worried you've stretched your pouch, maybe you could try the 5 day pouch test. Not only will it help shrink your pouch back down but it's a great way to "do over" and get a fresh start on banded life. http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

You can do this!

It is great you are tracking your calories and realize it's a problem. Exercise is very important- do whatever you can do, even if it's just walking. The more you do the more you will be able to do.

Also, you say you don't feel satisfied- is it head hungry or real hunger. For all of us we experience the head hunger and have to realize that it's not real and go do something else to forget about it. For me I have to keep the sweets out of my house. No cake, no ice cream - I don't have will power on bad days. My mom even knows when I go home DO NOT try and send sweets home with me.

Also, are you getting enough Protein? If you aren't that can make you hunger worse. You need to track that as well. chicken, ground turkey, tuna, broiled or grilled fish are all great sources of Protein. Always eat that first and eat SLOW- it's not a race.

liquid calories are horrible! The best thing to do is drink WATER! If you need flavor there are great ones in propel, crystal lite and many more. If you like tea there are even tea flavors. I love it. I am addicted to crystal light peach mango green tea.

You can do this, you are doing this. Look how far you have come. I was banded a month before you and haven't lost that much yet. You are doing good, don't sabatage yourself now.

Go back to the basics- each day is a new day make this one great!

"I can eat more than 2 cups of food in a sitting and am not feeling satisfied at all."

ok, the other posters were nice (yes i love missy and kime) and i am so proud of you for losing 45.......girlfriend you are rocking it

i will try to make you accountable (but you knows i wuvs ya) so why are you eating 2+ cups of food at one time? why is that? because you can?? you need to step back. stop at 1 cup and focus on Portion Control.< /p>

you are doing so well. i am so so proud as is all this forum.

i know if i wanted to and allowed myself, i could eat way more than 1 cup but i stop myself, that is how i got to nearly 350 by overeating and not holding myself accountable.

you need to get in check. put on your war face, find that eye of the tiger and get on with it. you are the only one who can make yourself well.

so do it.

ps-you know i wuvs ya right?

"I can eat more than 2 cups of food in a sitting and am not feeling satisfied at all."

ok, the other posters were nice (yes i love missy and kime) and i am so proud of you for losing 45.......girlfriend you are rocking it

i will try to make you accountable (but you knows i wuvs ya) so why are you eating 2+ cups of food at one time? why is that? because you can?? you need to step back. stop at 1 cup and focus on Portion Control.< /p>

you are doing so well. i am so so proud as is all this forum.

i know if i wanted to and allowed myself, i could eat way more than 1 cup but i stop myself, that is how i got to nearly 350 by overeating and not holding myself accountable.

you need to get in check. put on your war face, find that eye of the tiger and get on with it. you are the only one who can make yourself well.

so do it.

ps-you know i wuvs ya right?

I guess I am just surprised I can eat 2 cups, because before this past week or so I couldn't. I would feel a fullness around 1 cup. And that was my trigger to stop. If I only eat 1 cup, I am starving an hour later. I realize I can just decide to eat less, but I thought the band was supposed to help with this part of the process. My problem has always been portion control. I have been fighting it for 25 years now. The fact I'm not eating 4 cups means I'm trying. When I'm eating 2 cups, the extra cup is coming from vegetables. I have come to love canned, no salt added green Beans with the smallest hint of bacon bits. So it isn't a calorie problem. Just a portion problem. I want to be full on less.

well, the band will help you eat less (the fills should help with that amount) and i have no idea if you have fills or not (i dont so i have no comment on that).....when you say you are hungry later, is it really hunger or is it head hunger? (or boredom or is someone eating ??) also, i truly believe, just because you can eat (over 1 cup) does not mean you should).

i admit i get hungry after i eat also but i push through it. drink or grab a popsicle, or apple or something like that.

i in no way meant to imply you were not trying.....your excellent weight loss speaks for itself.

(i had the plication as well as the band, and right around 4 oz (or 3/4 cup) i get very full. (and i also eat as if i do have fills). def a mind over matter w/me.

i wish i could say or do something to encourage you.

you are doing great. you just need to believe in yourself.

I guess I am not bumming because I ate lasagna or even ice cream. I knew those things would slide, and I wouldn't feel satisfied, and although I ate more than normal, I don't think I actually did any damage to my weight loss. I guess I am just asking for some help figuring out a restart. I really liked the "shrinking your pouch" link that was posted here. Anyone else have ways that they restart their diets if they are slowly falling off track? I need something to focus on to help break some of my bad habits.

I am at 7.5 cc's in a 12 cc band. I had a fluoro fill last time, and they did the barium test to give me just enough saline to let fluids pass, but I think my body has since adjusted. I need to make it to the drs appointment for my next fill (if he can even do it then-- my port is hard to find) in 2 weeks. So some sort of shock to the system is what I'm looking for. Something to refocus me, tangible goals. I am probably just going to do the 5 day stoma shrink thing and stick with Protein from liquids to solids. Thanks all for the support. I think if I can lose 5 lbs in these 2 weeks I will feel much better about myself. If anyone else has a way they hit reset though I am really open to trying.

(sorry to post on my own post a million times. I appreciate all the comments.)

I guess I am not bumming because I ate lasagna or even ice cream. I knew those things would slide, and I wouldn't feel satisfied, and although I ate more than normal, I don't think I actually did any damage to my weight loss. I guess I am just asking for some help figuring out a restart. I really liked the "shrinking your pouch" link that was posted here. Anyone else have ways that they restart their diets if they are slowly falling off track? I need something to focus on to help break some of my bad habits.

to get back on track?? simple

just (start)

do what you know you have to do.

eat Protein, eat fruit and veggies and move a bit.

and begin.