Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Senior Bandsters: Anything You Would Have Done Differently Prior To Your Surgery Date ?

Haha...you are funny ....I LOVE your entrepreneurship thinking. Where can one get a copy :)

Click on the Bandwagon banner ad here on LBT (at the bottom of the forum page), or go to http://jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com and click on one of the purchase options (credit card or PayPal) on the left hand side of the page.

Any other helpful hints out there from people who have a lot of experience and knowledge about preparing wisely ??

didnt the doctor provide you with the nutritional aspect (do's and donts)?

if not, may a visit with one would help as everyone is different and you will get many different responses

also, band bible is the bomb (did you know you can see it from outer space?)

Can't help you there Dude, being banded Oct 15 myself. I know you've been stalking this forum for years, so you must have a lot more knowledge about the band than most. I've only been stalking 6 mths and have learned so much. My #1 must do is, follow your Drs orders for success, drink your Water & exercise .

I think the one thing my Dr didn't tell me was about " bandster hell". He led me to believe I would have a pouch that only held 2TBSP of food.

Another wise saying " just b/c you can eat something, doesn't mean you should".

Well Best Wishes on your journey!

you so smart CB :)

Sorry wont post under wrong forum.

Sorry wont post under wrong forum.

sweetie, post where you want, someone will answer your questions :)

I agree with the previous posters who said make sure you take enough time off of work. I had my surgery on a Thursday and thought I'd be ready to go back on Monday or Tuesday. I really needed that entire next week, not necessarily because I was too sore, but I was sooooo tired. I wasnt getting enough nutrition to have any energy. I had to build up to it. I hated the Isopure Protein drinks I purchased so I had a really hard time getting in my Protein. Make sure you drink enough and really try to get in your protein...that was (and frankly still is, my biggest obstacle), also a heating pad was my best friend post surgery. Also, prior to losing my weight, I refused to have my picture taken... take pictures so you will see what you accomplished once you meet your goal.

Good luck in your journey...speaking for myself it was the best decision I ever made. I will be at 2 years post-op next month. :)

Oh yeah, test out sample Protein packs now so you have a drink you like for after surgery.

I agree with the previous posters who said make sure you take enough time off of work. I had my surgery on a Thursday and thought I'd be ready to go back on Monday or Tuesday. I really needed that entire next week, not necessarily because I was too sore, but I was sooooo tired. I wasnt getting enough nutrition to have any energy. I had to build up to it. I hated the Isopure Protein drinks I purchased so I had a really hard time getting in my Protein. Make sure you drink enough and really try to get in your protein...that was (and frankly still is, my biggest obstacle), also a heating pad was my best friend post surgery. Also, prior to losing my weight, I refused to have my picture taken... take pictures so you will see what you accomplished once you meet your goal.

Good luck in your journey...speaking for myself it was the best decision I ever made. I will be at 2 years post-op next month. :)

Thanks for the tip. I've already got the premium heating pad at Walmart which costs $29.95 which isn't bad at all. Since then I've purchased Gas X Strips and Papaya enzymes to help with digestion should I gut stuck early on.

I was only banded 4 days ago and am certainly not a pro. I have had the easiest recovery ever, not one ounce of pain, no gas pain (lots of burping and farting), slept like a baby the first night. I would have to say I was overprepared and that was not necessarily a good thing. I was in denial about Protein shakes and figured like my pre op, I will just have to deal with it when it happens. I purchased ensure liquid Protein drinks (clear not creamy), tried 1 and threw the other 7 away. I bought carnation instant Breakfast (on my nutritionists list), have had 1 and am pretty sure will throw the other 3 away, I bought a 6 pack of high Protein pudding from GNC that I can't stand, thank goodness you can return GNC products. I have 2 large tubs of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder which I haven't even attempted to use yet as I can't stand the smell and taste of Protein. So to the person who suggested testing out some Protein Drinks and powders BINGO, I didn't and if I don't use my powder, I am about $75 out, because I thought I would just go with it when the time comes.

I pre purchased Soup, pudding, yoguart, plus all of the above and right now am eating yoguart and have resorted back to 1 of my pre surgery drinks - optifree (I just ordered a box as backup from my clinic). I have more gas-x strips then I will ever use (better be safe than sorry)

So.....I was way too anxious to be prepared and over did it........gas-x, yoguart, freezies, that is really all I needed.

Take a week off work, even though you might feel good, feeling good at home is different that feeling good at work.

Good luck!!!

Thanks Rose...any other thoughts out there?

Follow your dr's instructions, walk, walk, walk after surgery, sip, sip, sip......I stayed ahead of my pain for the first 48 and took the painkillers on schedule. When I wasn't having any pain whatsoever, I just stopped. Might need stool softener (mixed that in with yoguart), rest and nap when you need to. I am sure your surgeon has prepared you, just follow their instructions.

Thanks Rose...any other thoughts out there?

I am post ip had my banding 17/09/2012 so 5 days , felt like crap bloated , constipated back pain , read its normal, went and got v 8 smoothies I take the protown up and go shakes, went and brought some liquid to go toilet.

I am post ip had my banding 17/09/2012 so 5 days , felt like crap bloated , constipated back pain , read its normal, went and got v 8 smoothies I take the protown up and go shakes, went and brought some liquid to go toilet.

I had my surgery the same day as you. Sorry that you are not feeling so well. Just take care of yourself. I had powdered stool softener that I added to my yogurt and all was good in the world yesterday. I am burping like mad. Make sure that you are up and moving around.

Take care.

My dr prepared me for surgery by making me do a 2 week liquid diet. I hated it at the time but he was very wise because it taught me the following:

I can live without eating food as long as I have nutrition

I can live on 800 calories each day

food is fuel... You only need it to survive. The act of eating is a habit which can be broken

That said the liquid diet also shrunk my liver so I was able to have a successful surgery. Additionally it prepared me for the 2 weeks of liquid post surgery while I healed and made me appreciate mushies like you cannot imagine!!

And the added bonus... I lost 22 lbs pre op which was a nice kick start to my journey.

Best of luck