Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have learned to cheat the band...

My name is Michelle and I am 15 (almost 16!) years old. I had my surgery on January 17th at 210 lbs. My first fill was on March 3rd.

I was really excited going into surgery because my mom had it a few years ago and lost 70 lbs (woohoo!) so I thought that since I am younger and healthier, I would have the same results or better. WRONG! My mom not only lost all of her weight, she taught my a few little tricks to cheat the band and eat a lot along the way. I now am stuck in a major predicament.

:help: I haven't lost ANYTHING! I know that I can eat a whole plate of cheezy nachos if I chew well and drink Water with it, and that I can eat a million fattening Snacks a day if I want to. I am sabotaging myself badly! What should I do? This is my last resort. PLEASE REPLY! I am young and I have a huge life and endless possibilities ahead of me; I don't want my weight to hold me back. Thanks!

I am 27 and did the same thing, I have lost almost 100 lbs. I have 40 more to lose. i recently started doing that. just sabatoging my self....stop doing it while you can. I am starting to retrain myself. it is hard but it can be done!

Michelle,

It's hard to go through a whole set of lifestyle changes. I would start with one thing at a time. My first recommendation would be to stop drinking while you eat! That'll push the food through nearly every time (unless you are tight, then it'll back you up, at least, it does that to me). If you aren't washing the food through, it'll sit in your pouch longer and you'll feel full.

I'm not gonna give you the whole list of bandster rules here, because I really think you should just start with one, and not drinking while you eat is a biggie.

Keep us updated, ok?

first off, you probably don't have good restriction. i was eating nachos too after my first fill. i know, we're not supposed to... but i did. definitely try to stop eating and drinking at the same time. food was my friend too and i get a little sad now b/c i am completely full after 4 or 5 bites. i used to love lingering over a big plate of yummy food and eating and getting that warm and cozy full feeling. now that i actually have restriction, it is not a warm and fuzzy full feeling, it is satisfied then one more bite and i have severe discomfort. so part of giving up that destructive behaviour for me was having a consequence. it is absolutely true that the band is just a tool and you have to work with it, and modify your behaviour. but i've found this easier to do with restriction.

Hi Michelle, I have very little restriction until I had my 2nd fill. Take it in baby steps, 1 thing at a time. As Sarah said, stop drinking while eating and that will help you feel full longer.

Good luck!

WIth out restriction you can just wash that stuff through, but if you are like me after 4 fills I have great restriction and If I even try to drink after a bite it will all come back up. It is like the drink bounces off and brings everything back with it. It will stop that bad habit real quick. Try to do your best until you can get the restriction you need and it will make all the difference in the world! GOOD LUCK sweetie!

First of all, food is an addiction. But now you have a wonderful too to help you get through the addiction if you will allow it to. We all know some of the little tricks that work, ie. eating puffy cheetos, they go down easy, so does blue bell, but at some point in order to use the too, you have to make up your mind too. You are so you and have a whole life ahead of you to live with this too, make it work for you, not against you.

Hello Michelle! Welcome to LBT!

Please don't be so hard on yourself! You've had a fill for 2 entire weeks, and many people don't see a change in the scale until their first or second fill.

Sarah, aka Marimaru, was right on with her advice. You need to change one thing at a time. Drinking while eating is the easiest way to eat around the band!

And I know, it is such a habbit to eat and drink at the same time! So hard to break, but it is something that we really need to work on.

Once you feel comfortable with not eating and drinking, the next phase I would recommend is setting the timer for 20 minutes. You can eat huge amounts of food in one sitting if you take enough time! Once you cut that down to 20 minutes (hard and fast) you will have cleared a MAJOR hurdle, and created a major new habit.

You can do this. WE know you can, because we have faith in you.

If you fall down, pick yourself up and keep going. We will be here to cheer you on! No matter what, we are here for you.

It could take a couple of fills to really feel restriction.

But we all cheat the band to a degree. I'd been ticking along, weight loss had slowed considerably and I was thinking I needed another fill. Went to my mum's for lunch, she gave me a sandwich, something I hadnt eaten since being banded. I ate it, it took me 40 minutes to get it down, it was incredible how full I was (couldnt eat the whole thing) and how I stayed full for hours and hours and hours. It was a bit of a light bulb moment for me, disciplined though I am I was cheating the band to a degree. I shoud take advantage of the fact that I seem to be one of the lucky few that can eat bread, steak etc.

So that's what I've done and guess what? food intake significantly decreased and weight moving again.

Perhaps make a pact with yourself that you can have the nachos, cheeseballs, whatever it is you want only AFTER you've eaten something healthy like a sandwich. You probably wont be able to get more than a bite or two down. Eat the good stuff first and just have a taste of the other things after that.

And perhaps the old dieter's trick of eating an apple before your meal might help too.

The big problem with support groups is that members share others their naighty bad tricks to "eat around the band." I learned all those bad tricks right here at LBT. You still have plenty of time to get on track though since you don't have good restriction. Once that restriction kicks in, you won't be able to eat and drink. Good luck to you kiddo!

Michelle,

It took a lot of courage to 1) admit you were doing this to yourself and 2) tell all of us and ask for help! Good for you ......

Sometimes when I feel I am falling into old patterns I mention it to my DH and then it isn't as easy for me to "trick" the band because someone else knows.....

Don't be so hard on yourself! Try doing what others suggested ... one suggestion at a time and you will get back on track....

Good luck and come on and share with us.... we are here for you:biggrin1: