Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervouse About Getting A Fill

So I go on Oct. 8 for my first fill. I was banded Aug. 23 and lost 11lbs prior to surgery and 13lbs, the two weeks between surgery and my 2 week follow up.

I'm wondering what the fill feels like? Does it hurt when they do it? How do they find your port? What if they can't find it?

Full of questions.....

Please any info would be appreciated.

Still pre op but I've read a couple thousand pages of information. What I gather: the doc may or may not numb it. Most don't use xray to find the port. The doc will have u either scrunch up ur hips or hold a deep breath in pushing out ur belly to feel the port. All but two posts have said its no diff than getting blood drawn. Thr two I've read that differed were patirnts whose ports whrre tildted or flipped. But if that happens and it becomes painful, ask for a fill under flouroscopy, or xray.

I had my first fill about a week and a half ago (6 weeks post-op). It wasn't bad, but a little "weird" for me. My surgeon numbed me with a shot of lidocaine first. He put a pillow under my back so my back was arched. He then had me lift up a bit like I was doing a sit up while he pushed around on my belly to find the port. After he found it, he marked it with a pen, swabbed it with alcohol and injected the saline. What was a weird sensation for me was I felt the Water go up the tube. I think as we lose weight, it will be easier for them to find and access the port as it is covered by layers of fat now. Nonetheless, it wasn't a bad experience for me. I drank some Water afterwards to make sure I was ok and that was it.

If they cannot find it then I believe they may do an xray (flouroscopy?) to help pin point it. I think that is a rare occurence though.

I have had 5 fills. It was really a cake walk. I had more soreness from giving blood then I have a fill. I lay flat on my back and then when the Doc is ready I lift my head like I am putting my chin to my neck. This tightens up the stomach muscles and makes it easier to find the port. Once the port is found she sticks the needle in and I can feel it when it goes into my port. I can hear a small click as the needle is pressed in. My Doc doesn't use lidocane or any other numbing agent.

Like I said a cake walk but then again I don't have a fear of needles anyway. My best advice is if you don't like needles then keep your eyes closed.

No it don't hurt I got my first fill today did not go well at all he couldn't find the right spot. But he numbed it first so I didn't feel anything. In the end I got my fill and he made sure if I need another he will get it first time.

I had my first fill last Friday. The nurse only put 0.5 cc in and I didnt think I would feel any restrictions but wow! What a difference. This was my first fill since my surgery June 29. She had to poke me a couple of times because my surgeon put my port at an angle so the bubble won't pop out when I lose weight. I HATE needles but didn't even feel it when she used the needle! It's going to be fine. Good luck!!

Thank you for this post!! I may have my first fill on Thursday, and I am about more nervous about it than the surgery!!! My surgery was on 8/22/12, and knock on wood, I have not had any problems, nausea, or vomiting and I worry if things will change after a fill?

Well, this past Thursday was my third full. And it hurts me each time, for one my stomach isn't fatty at All say least that's what the doctor say. Then he has a hard time getting the needle in the port however this time he made note of the measurement and location of port. I wish he used something to numb me. I received .5 cc and know this will cause me to lose more weight. Kinda scare that I will be sick cause I'm full off everything.

I was so scared before my first fill, I am terrified of needles! But it was a piece of cake and didnt hurt at all. They actually got a little harder as I lost the weight because my port is "jiggly" (they say its my port, but I know my RN is just being nice, its actually my stomach thats jiggly), its still not too bad though, I just have to try to stick my stomach out as far as I can to get my stomach as hard as possible. I havent had to have a fill in about 6 months, hopefully I wont need anymore.

Patriceaa - you have done a great job! When was your surgery?

Thank you! My surgery was Oct 21, 2010....so it will be 2 years next month.