Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

This is my very first time posting on this forum although I have been reading it for 5 years. I first got my lap band surgery done on 7/13/07 by Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill Hospital. I will try to make this as short as possible despite it being a very long story. When I got my surgery I was 229 lbs, 27 yrs old with diabetes, PCOS, in pain, fat, unhealthy and dying. I did tried other forms of weight loss on my own and with medical help and when I didn't have any success I decided it was time to have WLS. I researched the band and Dr. Roslin's name came up & I went back to my PCP to discuss it- she said he was the man she wanted to refer me to and I saw this as a sign... this was my destiny.... (dramatic, huh? lol). Well I went thru all the necessary appts and the surgery date was set for June 26 I believe... but a few days before that I had a terrible kidney infection so it was pushed back- to 7/13- Friday the 13th- my luckiest day. :-) I got the surgery and everything went well, until I got home. Learning to live with the band proved extremely hard for me. Eating less, slower, and NOT being able to tolerate foods I loved (even healthy ones) was horrible. For the first 6-8 months I hated it. I wanted it out immediately after I got it- but I as learned to live with it, change my lifestyle and adhere to the rules, the weight started to fall off and I was successful. Fast forward to Nov 2010. I was laid off from yet another job and I became depressed.... I did little eating and when I tried I found it hard. I had no insurance and I had seen Dr. Roslin in almost 2 years. I went to DR in Jan 2011 and my parents freaked- they'd never seen me so "sick". I was 108 lbs and rail thin. I needed a miracle or an unfill! I found a Doctor in DR who unfilled me. I started to eat better again and gained some healthy weight back. In a few months I was up to 125lbs then 135lbs; I maintained that weight for a year. I ate healthy but never deprived myself of treats. NO real exercise.... at least not in a gym.

Now March 2012- I started to get severe heartburn- worst than my usual heartburn which I thought was just part of living with the band. I'd wake up sick, but I had only been working at my new job 2.5 months & had no insurance. I got the insurance and life and work got in the way of me getting to the doctor until I finally did- Aug 1st 2012. As soon as I saw Dr. Roslin he said: You haven't been here in over 3 years- that means you are here cuz your band slipped. I freaked... No, I think I just need an unfill. He checked it, I told him about DR. He said: that doctor unfilled completely- you have been unfilled for a year- you need to go up to Northern Westchester Hospital tomorrow and get an Upper GI Series- tell them it's urgent. Went on 8/2 got the UGI and surely enough- slipped band. I had to get surgery to either revise or remove. Dr. Roslin immediately suggested a revision- he said most of his patients gain the weight back if they get the band removed. SO reluctantly I agreed to revise and start again. He scheduled my surgery for 8/9/12. I was unhappy. Sad. Even though here I was after losing a total of 121 lbs I felt like a failure... I mean the band is not supposed to be removed- ever! ;-( I spoke to my mom, my friends and then my PCP. I was lucky she remembered me after not seeing her in years and that she was able to see me the next day. She canceled my surgery- it was too soon, I needed time to think. She talked me out of the revision and suggested removal. She talked about how she was NO longer suggesting the Lap Band due to too many people having it removed & that she knew of surgeons who weren't doing the surgery anymore. I saw she had faith in me- the faith my surgeon didn't have. She said: I don't think you will regain the weight- it's time to try it on your own. You are a different person now. You lead a different lifestyle. I agreed. My mom and friends wanted it out- they didn't want to see me suffer. I opted for removal. Surgery was set for 9/6/12.

I had the surgery at Northern Westchester Hospital.... could not have made a better choice! Everyone took such great care of me. I had complications with the anesthesia taking more time to wear off my bladder and I had to be tubed with a catheter twice- (I know- ouch) and stay in the hospital an extra day. It was painful and the incisions are still sore but I have been home since Saturday and I am recovering. It hurts when I laugh or cough- so trying to avoid that. I am eating sensibly & thus far my ravenous hunger has not return (knock on wood!).Only weird thing I have noticed is the incision directly over my belly button is kinda swollen and that area is popped out and hard- I find this strange and will talk more about it at my follow up appt which I will call to set up tomorrow. My plan? Exercise, Eat well, and Maintain a healthy weight. I have made the choice to live withOUT the lap band because at least for me (at this moment in my life) the cons far outweigh the pros to have another one put in or to have any other kind of WLS. Don't get me wrong- I STILL tell everyone what I believe to be true: The BAND saved my life..... but I helped it help me too! If you have any questions please ask. ;-)

So glad I saw your post! I too have had medical issues and will be having my band removed soon. I am scared to death to gain more weight. I have already had several unfills over the past year to see if my symptoms were relieved. Although I have gotten better, I will still have to have the band removed for my complete recovery. In this past year, I have put back on 40 of the 60 lbs I had lost after the my lap band operation. I plan to follow you closely to see your progress ;)

Thank you so much for being so candid about your situation. It certainly gives me hope.

JLG23 it sounds as though your band is probably too tight. Instead of getting the band out you probably need to have some of the Fluid in it removed. That should help you to be able to eat healthy food and not keep throwing up.

If you have been unable to maintain your weight loss it might be because you have been making poor choices which is often a result of being too tight. Why not go back to your Dr and see if you can figure out the best way to get you and your band working together. That should be a lot cheaper than $9000 and it also won't involve additional surgery.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get a successful outcome.

I was banded in February of 2008 in Mexico (I am from the US). Over the course of the next 9 months I lost around 50 pounds, but I attribute that to not being able to swallow much of anything.

I flew back to Mexico and had half of the band emptied as it was too tight. About 6 months ago I started getting horrible heartburn - I contacted my doctor in Mexico and he said I needed to go in or find a doctor to unfill the remainder of the band as he thought it had slipped. He said after about a month the band should be back in place and I can refill. Unfortunately this came at a time when I had just started a new job. I didn't have the $ to fly to Mexico and to get a doctor in the US to even look at you when the procedure was done in another country is extremely expensive. That being said, I was sure I could unfill the band myself - so that's what I did. So now my band has been empty for 6 months and I haven't had any other problems (other than gaining all of my weight back, but that's my fault for poor choices). Now, in the last few days I've been waking up with HORRIBLE heartburn - bad enough it wakes me in the night.

I want this thing out of me, but with all the violence going on in Mexico right now I'm afraid to go back. I do have insurance now - does anyone know a doctor in the Southeast that will do this on insurance? My only other option is to live with it for another 5-6 months until I get my tax return :(

You unfilled your own band?

Sounds like they did Elcee...crazy as it seems it didn't resolve the problem :(

You unfilled your own band?

Yes - I can feel the port through my skin and see the outline so I just did what they do in the doctor's office. It was quite easy - nothing I would recommend, but I was desperate.

All of the problems went away immediately and I never had it refilled. The heartburn and other problems just returned recently, which makes me a bit worried...

!!!!!!

If you managed to do it without causing any problems or infection then you are extremely lucky. I have had highly experienced Dr's be unable or refuse to do an unfill because they were not experienced in doing so.

!!!!!!

If you managed to do it without causing any problems or infection then you are extremely lucky. I have had highly experienced Dr's be unable or refuse to do an unfill because they were not experienced in doing so.

Seems unreal huh? If I was having trouble I'd try and see a Dr for a more serious problem.

Thank you for sharing your story! I am finding myself in a similar position :/ After being banded in July 2008 I successfully lost 80lbs but gained health issues that do not run in my family including: Hypothyroidism, Celiac Disease, and I get horrible abdominal pain. I have no trouble eating/swallowing even though my band is still filled pretty well, but my family is absolutely worried about me. I have had about 10 ER visits in the last four years due to excruciating abdominal pain, and no one can tell me what it's from :(

I don't know if it's severe IBS (going to a new doctor for a second opinion tomorrow), or my body rejecting my lapband?

Just wanted to thank you for sharing though. I am very scared to even think about getting it out, just because the surgery was scary. Keep me updated on your recovery :)

Dear YiseIV,

I'm sorry you had to go through all that but congratulations on your weight loss. I think you can maintain it too if you exercise and eat properly.

I would also recommend some diet supplements to reduce your appetite. Google "Dr oz weight loss supplements" and you can see what he recommends.

I started taking Rasberry Ketones and L-Carnitine. Good luck to you !

Elcee - thanks for your help (or lack thereof).

I went to the ER and found that I have a large rolling hiatal hernia. My band is 100% ok. and the hernia is now repaired :)

So all your judging didn't really make a difference.

I hope one day you can lose the "fat girl" attitude and truly be happy.

Elcee - thanks for your help (or lack thereof).It's a pleasure!

I went to the ER and found that I have a large rolling hiatal hernia. My band is 100% ok. and the hernia is now repaired :)

So all your judging didn't really make a difference.I'm not sure what judging you are talking about.

I hope one day you can lose the "fat girl" attitude and truly be happy. I didn't know I had a fat girl attitude. In fact I don't know what a fat girl attitude is. If I have one it is probably because I am a fat girl and probably always will be. I think most of us that have been through WLS are. We might have managed to hide our fat girl but we know that if we don't keep her under control she will escape and wreak havoc.

Thanks for sharing your story. I was banded in 2008 and I have a slip and my band needs to be taken out. I feel better about the situation. I'm bummed because I am at my goal weight and love my body. I don't want to get fat again. But my health is more important and this slip could cause more sever health issues than being chunky.

Hello ! I was first banded in oct 09 loved my band then I guess (being honest) too much puking from being tight losing weight felt great till I gave myself a hiatal hernia reflux so bad like I was being stabbed. Dr said to unfill me a bit it helped but I gained 35 Lbs back in a year a half! Needless to say I went ti fix my hernia and asked to change my port to low profile. Did this sept 2012 got 6 fills till dec felt no restriction. I had dr remove liquid to see if all was there should have had 9cc already which I know in past I could never handle . Guess what?! I had 4 cc left . Dr says if you want it out ok but u will gain some weight again. I opted to go in for 3 rd operation just got it yesterday ! My band was slit it wasn't the new port! Dr has no clue . Now starting my journey all over again seems overwhelming since I've been overweight my entire life and u thought the band would end my constant struggle. I got everything new put in! Wish me luck and if anyone needs advise for reflux or band skip just ask me! Starting over and hungry :) anyone know when I can start exercising again I have no clothes now all too small since I e gained !! Thk u for reading !